PDA

View Full Version : Cars of yesterday to today crash test.

jettaglxdriver
09-18-2009, 08:57 AM
Very amazing display of today's advances.

Despite being a chevy.

2-3 times the fuel economy
Will drive longer and more reliably before major repairs are needed
fewer emissions
100 times for comforts bells and whistles

and finally a ton safer in a head on collision.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204518504574417212362984366.html#

Hulk
09-18-2009, 11:25 AM
That's actually really amazing. You can see how much safer today's vehicles are than old ones. The airbag coming out of the steering wheel is key, too.

jettaglxdriver
09-18-2009, 11:31 AM
That and the fact the cabin of the malibu is almost untouched where the belair is jacked up.

Jacket
09-18-2009, 12:03 PM
Sad that they would destroy a beautiful old Bel-Air.... I hope it was a replica.

timmbuck2
09-18-2009, 12:04 PM
dang...wonder if they still have the starter for that Bel Air.

:lmao:

theboomboom
09-18-2009, 12:11 PM
I dunno, the advances in technology and safety have definitely made a difference, but see the cloud of rust-dust explode from under the bel-air? I don't think it was all there to begin with...

Hulk
09-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Sad that they would destroy a beautiful old Bel-Air.... I hope it was a replica.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. But then again, a '59 doesn't have the value of the 55-56-57 model years.

FJ 432
09-18-2009, 01:04 PM
I was an auto damage adjuster for many years around the time when air bags were become more popular and I'll never forget meeting a lady who was hit in her 90-94 Toyota Celica as she was driving on 285. The other driver had drifted into her lane (where it was 2 lane road) and she walked away with only facial burns from the air bag chemical. Although it was only a glancing head on and an older Celica she would have been really messed up.

The advent of airbags and unibody construction has saved many lives by sacrificing the sheet metal (absorbing and diverting the energy of an impact) whereas a full body frame sends the energy directly to the passenger compartment. They sure were prettier cars back then (for the most part) but we're a lot better off in 2009.

One other odd note, with the introduction of antilock brakes the number of rollovers have increased due to the driver's ability to try and avoid a collision. Instead of locking the brakes and having very little control now drivers are avoiding the accident in front of them going on the embankment and rolling the vehicle. I still believe we're better off with antilock brakes but it takes from one hand and puts it in another.

Corbet
09-18-2009, 10:22 PM
The advent of airbags and unibody construction has saved many lives by sacrificing the sheet metal (absorbing and diverting the energy of an impact) whereas a full body frame sends the energy directly to the passenger compartment.

If more people understood this there would be far less SUV's on the road today. Its amazing how many customers I try to explain this to :banghead: but in the end they all say "I feel so much safer in this big SUV" :doh: Oh well buy what you wish I need to pay bills too.

ElliottB
09-19-2009, 01:02 AM
dang...wonder if they still have the starter for that Bel Air.

:lmao:

You beat me to it.

:D

FJ 432
09-20-2009, 02:51 PM
If more people understood this there would be far less SUV's on the road today. Its amazing how many customers I try to explain this to :banghead: but in the end they all say "I feel so much safer in this big SUV" :doh: Oh well buy what you wish I need to pay bills too.

So true. But the laws of physics also comes into play and a three ton vehicle will take on the smaller stuff. Their vehicle will be driveable but the passenger may be sore.:(

jacdaw
09-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Yeah, I thought the same thing. But then again, a '59 doesn't have the value of the 55-56-57 model years.Except that to me the '59 and '60 Chevys are way cooler than the shoeboxes. That video made me sad, rust bucket or not.

CardinalFJ60
09-21-2009, 12:23 AM
I just sold my 1970 VW Karmann Ghia....talk about a disaster if in an accident. my shoulder sat just about at the center of my ARB bumper in the garage. (yikes) And my 60 isn't that big. :eek: