PDA

View Full Version : Brd 9/17/09

AxleIke
09-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Not too much to update.

Landowners in spring gulch are still upset. There will be a meeting with 4wd enthusiasts who are willing to donate time to help them keep their lands off limits, same as we do with the FS. IMO, it is a good thing, as the more trails we keep open there, the better, as Left Hand is a moron magnet, and the more morons there, the less out on the trails we enjoy....Just MHO.

MVUM is being anxiously awaited. I've got my fingers crossed for Jenny Creek, as I think we *may* gain a road or two there. We'll see.

And, finally, people who can't accept responsibility for themselves strike again. Some kid decapitated himself riding a dirt bike. Family Sued the FS for $6mil. What does that mean? You got it: Nation wide take down of rope, chain, and...wait for it....cable.

BRD and COHVCO are working on a solution to "blunt" the cable so it won't cut people in half, but if that doesn't fly, then ALL cable will have to be removed from everywhere, meaning losing all restoration efforts. Rampart Range is REALLY going to be hurting.

Thats all for now.

Cheers!

Isaac

Uncle Ben
09-18-2009, 12:10 PM
Not too much to update.

Landowners in spring gulch are still upset. There will be a meeting with 4wd enthusiasts who are willing to donate time to help them keep their lands off limits, same as we do with the FS. IMO, it is a good thing, as the more trails we keep open there, the better, as Left Hand is a moron magnet, and the more morons there, the less out on the trails we enjoy....Just MHO.

MVUM is being anxiously awaited. I've got my fingers crossed for Jenny Creek, as I think we *may* gain a road or two there. We'll see.

And, finally, people who can't accept responsibility for themselves strike again. Some kid decapitated himself riding a dirt bike. Family Sued the FS for $6mil. What does that mean? You got it: Nation wide take down of rope, chain, and...wait for it....cable.

BRD and COHVCO are working on a solution to "blunt" the cable so it won't cut people in half, but if that doesn't fly, then ALL cable will have to be removed from everywhere, meaning losing all restoration efforts. Rampart Range is REALLY going to be hurting.

Thats all for now.

Cheers!

Isaac

Thanks Isaac! Maybe we need to build this kind of fence instead! It should help prevent capitation.... :rolleyes: :rant:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2431/3708183819_d5d0225c8d.jpg?v=0

powderpig
09-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Were was the incident with the rider?
Did they win the case? I hate that type of stuff.
In Alaska near Seward is the Exit glacier. Well one year this older retired couple hiked up to see the glacier. There is a morainal dump where the glacier ends(not dumping into the ocean). Well the man wanted his picture next to the Glacier with him touching it. Well it picked the wrong spot at the wrong time and the Glacier took a dump on him. Well his wife sued the state because there was no warning of danger any where. She won, I do not know how much, but I know that the wilderness is dangerous. I feel for the woman, but this was wrong.

AxleIke
09-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Not sure where the incident was, but yes, they won. And my sentiments exactly. Riding a dirtbike is dangerous, what kind of dingbat doesn't realize that? Put your kid on a piece of equipment that is potentially a threat to his health, even his life, and then you are surprised by the fact that he was killed? Give me a break.

rover67
09-18-2009, 03:12 PM
in the south they used to string rusty barbed wire across places you weren't supposed to go (private land). blended in nicely with the brown leaves that were everywhere.

I only ran into one of those before I stopped going places I wasn't supposed to. luckily it caught the handlebars, not my neck.

kind of extreme, and not very copasetic, but it worked.

our cables are much safer than that, and they are low enough (in most cases) that they wouldn't decapitate folks. Did anybody see the Myth Busters where they tried to cut a pig in half with a snapping cable pulled tight? i'd say that for a full on decapitation the kid must've been going mach 1.

Robbie, I always thought it'd be cool to try and cross the Harding ice field above the exit glacier (is that the one?) and try to get to Homer. don't know how stupid it'd be but when we were up there it looked like a neat challenge.

powderpig
09-18-2009, 05:30 PM
Yes Marco, that is the one. I did it once a long time ago, it was amazing trip. The ice is over several thousand ft thick in places. The college I was a assistant climbing instuctor at did this every other year if there was enough interest. As with a lot of the climb/adventures we did, it was to places not too many souls would travel.