PDA

View Full Version : FZJ-80 with 100 brake pads

Dr. Schlegs
09-19-2009, 06:36 PM
I am planning on putting 100 pads on my 80 and was wondering what I need to complete this conversation? Just 100 pads? Is there cutting or anything of that nature?

wesintl
09-19-2009, 06:50 PM
nope. i would turn the rotors though

Romer
09-19-2009, 06:53 PM
You don't want to switch to 100 series pads unless you replace the rotors or have them turned like Wes suggests. larger grip area

You will also want to leave the shims out when you replace them.

powderpig
09-20-2009, 08:59 AM
Again to reaffirm what they said. The 100 series pads need a fresh surface to mate to. Other wise the not so flat surface and varying thickness of the rotor will not allow the pads to work so well. Not the best idea for a heavy beast.

Dr. Schlegs
10-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Thank you for all the tips on this mod. Would people be welling to help me complete this. The 80 is my daily and only driver and I do not have the best space to be working on this project.

Kevin

corsair23
10-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Kevin,

Couple of thoughts...You need to at a minimum have the rotors turned when going with the 100 series pads. That requires that you either remove the rotors (which is 1/2 way to a complete front end service and at a minimum a front end repack) or find a place that can turn the rotors on the truck. Brakes Plus (at least the one by me) can turn rotors on the vehicle.

But, you may want to measure the rotors first to insure that they are thick enough to turn. If they are near the minimum thickness IMO they'll warp soon after the job and you'll just be replacing them anyway. If they are thick enough to be turned then you could have them turned on the truck and have the shop put the pads in. Or I guess drive it home and put the pads in but not sure how that would affect bedding in the new pads to the rotors :confused:

My thought would be to measure the rotors and see where they are at thickness wise. If they are at or near the minimum thickness then I'd plan to replace them and do the 100 series pads then. And, if you have not done the front end service you might as well throw that in at the same time and just plan on being down for the weekend. If you don't have the time and $$ to do all that right now then just throw on some inexpensive 80 series pads in the mean time assuming you need new pads now.

Doing just the pads is easy, even for a dufus like me :hill: - Replacing the rotors is much more involved.

I'd help you but my plan if it works will include tearing apart the front and rear axles of my LX over the next couple weeks myself after I get back from drinking :beer:

Dr. Schlegs
10-05-2009, 02:20 PM
The front end has been serviced not too long ago. I have the 100 pads on hand, and I am just going to buy new rotors. Slap on the new rotors and than if the old ones are turnible they can be used next time the brakes are done. It should be a three hour project if that.

Kevin

treerootCO
10-05-2009, 02:28 PM
KBrakes Plus (at least the one by me) can turn rotors on the vehicle....

They probably use the as seen on TV brake pad sandpapaper thingy :lmao:

Dr. Schlegs
10-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Ok so I discovered that 100 pads will not fit in the rear of an 80. However, I have a question. Has anyone ever seen if a "100 pad cage" will fit on a 80? I guess my first question should have been does a 100 even have a "pad cage" like the 80's?

corsair23
10-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Ok so I discovered that 100 pads will not fit in the rear of an 80. However, I have a question. Has anyone ever seen if a "100 pad cage" will fit on a 80? I guess my first question should have been does a 100 even have a "pad cage" like the 80's?

Don't know the answer to the pad cage question but sorry for not specifying earlier that the 100 series pads are for the front only on an 80. I've never read anything about making 100 series pads fit on the rears :confused: