PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Knuckle Bolt

FJBRADY
09-24-2009, 07:37 AM
I have a sheered Knuckle stud on my 40 I would like to replace before the 40 only run on Sat. Any one on the South side have one I can pick up today or tomorrow?

Uncle Ben
09-24-2009, 08:06 AM
I have a sheered Knuckle bolt on my 40 I would like to replace before the 40 only run on Sat. Any one on the South side have one I can pick up today or tomorrow?

Bolt or stud?

RicardoJM
09-24-2009, 08:06 AM
I might but won't be able to check until later tonight. When I converted to disc brakes up front I replaced all 16 knuckle studs with the new style with the fancy head. I kept all of the extra parts around for a long time and posted them up for anyone to take (not much call for the stuff) and finally broke down and put much of it into the trash this summer:(. I recall putting the studs aside for just this sort of situation, but am not clear on just exactly which box/bag they are in. If I have them, you are welcome to grab what ever you need. I've got to head up to Westminster after work to blow out my sister's sprinkler before heading home.

FJBRADY
09-24-2009, 08:18 AM
Bolt or stud?

It's the threaded dealy on the knuckle providing me steering, which I am very fond of by the way. Does bolt = stud? If not please explain ohh anointed one....pictures would be great. Be careful of the stud photo's :eek:!!!!

FJBRADY
09-24-2009, 08:19 AM
I might but won't be able to check until later tonight. When I converted to disc brakes up front I replaced all 16 knuckle studs with the new style with the fancy head. I kept all of the extra parts around for a long time and posted them up for anyone to take (not much call for the stuff) and finally broke down and put much of it into the trash this summer:(. I recall putting the studs aside for just this sort of situation, but am not clear on just exactly which box/bag they are in. If I have them, you are welcome to grab what ever you need. I've got to head up to Westminster after work to blow out my sister's sprinkler before heading home.

Sounds good let me know what you find:thumb:

nuclearlemon
09-24-2009, 08:21 AM
if it's on the top of the knuckle housing where the steering arm bolts on, or bottom where the cap is, then it's a stud, cone washer, lock washer and nut.

FJBRADY
09-24-2009, 08:23 AM
if it's on the top of the knuckle housing where the steering arm bolts on, or bottom where the cap is, then it's a stud, cone washer, lock washer and nut.

That's it...........

RicardoJM
09-24-2009, 08:26 AM
It's the threaded dealy on the knuckle providing me steering, which I am very fond of by the way. Does bolt = stud? If not please explain ohh anointed one....pictures would be great. Be careful of the stud photo's :eek:!!!!

From what I understand stud has no head and bolt has a head.

From what I recall on seeing on Saturday, you need a stud and nut. Is it in this picture?
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/disc_brake_conversion/w_painted_right_knuckle.jpg

The new style studs are what you see in this picture.
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/disc_brake_conversion/w_newknuclestuds.jpg

FJBRADY
09-24-2009, 08:28 AM
It's threaded on both ends....I will take a picture and post up.

FJBRADY
09-24-2009, 08:47 AM
Pics.

Air Randy
09-24-2009, 08:48 AM
If it's threaded on both ends and doesnt have a bolt head on it, then it's a stud.

Steve-Does your rig have upgraded front axles with disk brakes? If so, you probably have the large pattern knuckles which uses a slightly larger diameter stud that the small pattern knuckles. I think Ricardo's rig is old enough and with stock axles that he probably has the older style (smaller) knuckle studs.

Have you tried calling around to the Toyota dealers? Especially if you have the later model large pattern size stud, these were ysed on many other models so someone should have them available.

FJBRADY
09-24-2009, 08:51 AM
If it's threaded on both ends and doesnt have a bolt head on it, then it's a stud.

Steve-Does your rig have upgraded front axles with disk brakes? If so, you probably have the large pattern knuckles which uses a slightly larger diameter stud that the small pattern knuckles. I think Ricardo's rig is old enough and with stock axles that he probably has the older style (smaller) knuckle studs.

Have you tried calling around to the Toyota dealers? Especially if you have the later model large pattern size stud, these were ysed on many other models so someone should have them available.

Thanks, Randy....the front axle is a out of a 78.

Uncle Ben
09-24-2009, 08:54 AM
I would replace all 4 on that knuckle if it was me! I might have a set if you need them.

FJBRADY
09-24-2009, 09:03 AM
I would replace all 4 on that knuckle if it was me! I might have a set if you need them.

I just order one from Toyota to get me though Sat.. I will replace all 8 this winter.

Thanks for the advice!

RicardoJM
09-24-2009, 09:05 AM
I think Ricardo's rig is old enough and with stock axles that he probably has the older style (smaller) knuckle studs.

Have you tried calling around to the Toyota dealers?

Good points; if I have them, they are the ones that came out of the FJ60 knuckle and not the ones from the 71' FJ40 knuckle. I bought the new style ones at the dealer. They probably have them in a bin waiting for you. :D

ttubb
09-24-2009, 09:45 AM
After reading this thread, I looked up the proper torque for the knuckle arm in the FSM. It indicates a torque of 62 - 79 Ft/Lbs. Given the problems folks seem to be having with stud failures, both on the 40s and 80s, I rechecked the torque on my 40 and 4Runner (solid axle conversion). I had the wrench set at 75 ft/lb and ALL studs on BOTH vehicles were loose. Some moved almost a quarter of a turn.

Since these are very easy to access, I am making it a point to check the torque prior to every run. Terry

Shark Bait
09-24-2009, 09:55 AM
I might have one. Small pattern cruiser studs. Hmmm. :eek::D

FJBRADY
09-24-2009, 10:00 AM
After reading this thread, I looked up the proper torque for the knuckle arm in the FSM. It indicates a torque of 62 - 79 Ft/Lbs. Given the problems folks seem to be having with stud failures, both on the 40s and 80s, I rechecked the torque on my 40 and 4Runner (solid axle conversion). I had the wrench set at 75 ft/lb and ALL studs on BOTH vehicles were loose. Some moved almost a quarter of a turn.

Since these are very easy to access, I am making it a point to check the torque prior to every run. Terry

Terry,

I make it a pre and post trail run ritual to check those bolts as mine work loose just about every run:eek: I just started using blue lock tight with the bolts to see if that helps, it should! I even had loose bolts on the front drive shaft just before the front diff.

ttubb
09-24-2009, 10:14 AM
Terry,

I make it a pre and post trail run ritual to check those bolts as mine work loose just about every run:eek: I just started using blue lock tight with the bolts to see if that helps, it should! I even had loose bolts on the front drive shaft just before the front diff.

Wow! Guess I will check those too. Thanks, see you Saturday. T