PDA

View Full Version : Bending 3/8" bar

Red_Chili
09-24-2009, 10:40 AM
I need to find someone on the south side that can handle putting 3/8" x 2.5" bar in their brake, and bending it 80*.

Anyone know anyone who can do this? Reasonably?

TIMZTOY
09-24-2009, 12:34 PM
table vice + BFH + magnetic angle finder (10$ at home depot ) = DUN:thumb:

Red_Chili
09-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Uh... we are talking near 1/2" here... nossir, unless by DUN you mean my workbench will be DUN. :lmao:

jettaglxdriver
09-24-2009, 12:46 PM
What is the bar holding.

I would heat it and use a bench vice with an angle finder then let it cool.

Uncle Ben
09-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Uh... we are talking near 1/2" here... nossir, unless by DUN you mean my workbench will be DUN. :lmao:

Unless your still using your Builder Bob plastic Workbench 3/8" strap should bend like butta if you gots oxy/acetylene making it glow red like your truck! I will scribe or cut a deep line at the bend point if I want a tighter bend.

So Bill.......

http://rlv.zcache.com/toughen_up_buttercup_keychain-p146963330617354419td8i_210.jpg

Red_Chili
09-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Getting it that hot will chase all the carbon away, SweetCheeks. Weaker. Per Brian Ellinger, anyway, and I would take his advice any day.

Trying to get my trailer hitch down where it needs to be. You wouldn't want my extension to bend now, wouldja?

(Torch was my solution too, but Brian dissuaded me.)

rover67
09-24-2009, 03:05 PM
are you talking about a 3/8" round bar, or 2.5" tubing with 3/8 wall?

Edit: Nevermind, just re-read. You are talkign about 3/8 thick x 2.5" wide bar stock.

you could cut and weld it.

Uncle Ben
09-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Getting it that hot will chase all the carbon away, SweetCheeks. Weaker. Per Brian Ellinger, anyway, and I would take his advice any day.

Trying to get my trailer hitch down where it needs to be. You wouldn't want my extension to bend now, wouldja?

(Torch was my solution too, but Brian dissuaded me.)

What are you pulling, box cars?

daisydog34
09-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Okay ya technically heating carbon steel can rearrange the carbon structure. HOWEVER Two months ago I bent 3" x 5/8" mild steel 90* and hung 6000lb off of it per engineered drawings. Heating it cherry red and bend around a 1" pipe. So unless you are pulling 60,000lb semi trailers im pretty sure you will be fine. Over engineering is never a healthy thing;)

jettaglxdriver
09-24-2009, 04:10 PM
I think bending 2.5" wide 3/8" think is going to take more than a DIY break in someone's garage unless you were seeking out that person who works with metals that can do it at their work.

Beater
09-24-2009, 05:35 PM
You could just save time by picking up the phone and calling me. Can this be a "roll"? I can re-temper it if it really bothers you.

TIMZTOY
09-24-2009, 06:12 PM
when you get it hot, just dip it into room temp used motor oil and youll heat treat it back to its orgional strength.. if not stronger..

jettaglxdriver
09-24-2009, 07:58 PM
Yeah but if you heat it and quench it it will be quite hard but more brittle. Then it would ideally need to be tempered to have it's original characteristics.

Beater
09-24-2009, 08:07 PM
when you get it hot, just dip it into room temp used motor oil and youll heat treat it back to its orgional strength.. if not stronger..

fail

Red_Chili
09-25-2009, 07:55 AM
Speaking of 'fail'...

You ever have one number in your head, but in a hurry (like, when stealing a moment at work on a really busy day to post a question on a forum), you type another number... and never realize perhaps due to too many hydrocarbons in your youth?

All along I've been typing 3/8 when in my head I was thinking 3/4. 3/8 is the thickness of the stiffening fin on the backside of the drop hitch-to-be.

Duh.

Thanks, Beater. I found a little shop in Littleton where a friend of Dave Rios' (General Air, in Littleton) has taken over a steel fabrication facility. So being a 3-man startup, with some commercial contracts to keep the doors open, he was more than happy to help me out. He confirmed that my concern about heat and carbon was misplaced (score another one for UB!).

So he takes the 3/4" bar and punches a 13/16" hole in it, like buttah. Then he whips out a torch that I swear looks for all the world like it was constructed out of F14 afterburner parts - I could feel the heat across the room from a 4' flame. He must've burned $10 worth of oxyacetalene just lighting the thing. He moves the radio out of range of this 6' torch (which would be about 40' away), points it at the 3/4" bar, has his helper flip it over, and they throw it in a vise and both of them bend it to 80*.

Perfect. So after 40 minutes to let it gradually cool, he accepts my $20 with a smile and we part friends. If I work up the drawings he can make window well covers probably almost as cheap as me buying the steel, too, when I get around to it.

JD Fabrication on Windermere, north of Oxford. Ask for Jaime. Nice feller. They have monster brakes, cutters, all kinds of fun stuff.

Uncle Ben
09-25-2009, 08:10 AM
Speaking of 'fail'...

You ever have one number in your head, but in a hurry (like, when stealing a moment at work on a really busy day to post a question on a forum), you type another number... and never realize perhaps due to too many hydrocarbons in your youth?

All along I've been typing 3/8 when in my head I was thinking 3/4. 3/8 is the thickness of the stiffening fin on the backside of the drop hitch-to-be.

Duh.

Thanks, Beater. I found a little shop in Littleton where a friend of Dave Rios' (General Air, in Littleton) has taken over a steel fabrication facility. So being a 3-man startup, with some commercial contracts to keep the doors open, he was more than happy to help me out. He confirmed that my concern about heat and carbon was misplaced (score another one for UB!).

So he takes the 3/4" bar and punches a 13/16" hole in it, like buttah. Then he whips out a torch that I swear looks for all the world like it was constructed out of F14 afterburner parts - I could feel the heat across the room from a 4' flame. He must've burned $10 worth of oxyacetalene just lighting the thing. He moves the radio out of range of this 6' torch (which would be about 40' away), points it at the 3/4" bar, has his helper flip it over, and they throw it in a vise and both of them bend it to 80*.

Perfect. So after 40 minutes to let it gradually cool, he accepts my $20 with a smile and we part friends. If I work up the drawings he can make window well covers probably almost as cheap as me buying the steel, too, when I get around to it.

JD Fabrication on Windermere, north of Oxford. Ask for Jaime. Nice feller. They have monster brakes, cutters, all kinds of fun stuff.

Sounds like a great resource! Thanks for sharing! WOW 3/4"! :eek: Building a battleship are we?

Red_Chili
09-25-2009, 08:19 AM
...Over engineering is never a healthy thing;)
But it covers the consequences of a lot of ignorance!! :lmao:

When in doubt... make it stout.

Red_Chili
09-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Sounds like a great resource! Thanks for sharing! WOW 3/4"! :eek: Building a battleship are we?
Yar.

Well... in fact it is the same thickness as the modest 6" drop I presently have. I was kinda thinking it risked being underengineered!

Uncle Ben
09-25-2009, 08:47 AM
Yar.

Well... in fact it is the same thickness as the modest 6" drop I presently have. I was kinda thinking it risked being underengineered!

Ahhhhh....lights finally went on! I know exactly what you doing! http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/cvfsupplyco-store_2067_33789120
I have a 10" drop that is still made from 3/4" strap. It does have a gusset at the top. BTW it's bent but from backing into a dirt bank. I have tried to straighten it with no success.

Red_Chili
09-25-2009, 09:05 AM
Jaime has a torch that will fix it.

Or make it so nobody else can.

Interestingly, on the way home from Jaime's I saw a lifted F350 on 44s with a Drrrrrooooooooop ball mount made similarly to what I want to do. Still weighing the usefulness/advisability of running stays from near the ball, diagonally to double shear hitch pin attachments welded to the truck frame. That would eliminate any of the bumper twisting torque a trailer could exert.

Beater
09-25-2009, 09:09 AM
faced with the same situation, I took the sleeve version, the adjustabe drop type. I just slipped it to where needed to be, welded it inside an out. done.

j

Red_Chili
09-25-2009, 09:27 AM
The drop I need, 'tain't made. Gotta make it from scratch.

jettaglxdriver
09-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Wow yeah 3/4" would take more brake.. Glad you found a place.