PDA

View Full Version : Oh joy, P0401 is back... (and how 80's fail emissions)

nakman
09-25-2009, 04:07 PM
So on Wednesday night driving home my CEL came on. Pulled the code last night and yup, PO401. so I cleared it, driving the 80 again today and it hasn't come back on yet.

I have 2 theories: one is I am pretty sure I've got an exhaust leak, maybe multiple. Occasionally when I start the truck I can hear something rattle.. I can also get it to rattle at various RPM's, like power breaking while wheeling I can get it to rattle pretty good... second theory is the second guessing of the Landtank MAF mod... which has been in place for about 10,000 miles now.

I can't remember what all got replaced when I had 401 last time, I think the IAC valve? Maybe :robbie: remembers... anyway I'm not going to do anything until the light comes on again, but am open to any peanut gallery comments in the interim. :beer: :popcorn:

Uncle Ben
09-25-2009, 04:12 PM
So on Wednesday night driving home my CEL came on. Pulled the code last night and yup, PO401. so I cleared it, driving the 80 again today and it hasn't come back on yet.

I have 2 theories: one is I am pretty sure I've got an exhaust leak, maybe multiple. Occasionally when I start the truck I can hear something rattle.. I can also get it to rattle at various RPM's, like power breaking while wheeling I can get it to rattle pretty good... second theory is the second guessing of the Landtank MAF mod... which has been in place for about 10,000 miles now.

I can't remember what all got replaced when I had 401 last time, I think the IAC valve? Maybe :robbie: remembers... anyway I'm not going to do anything until the light comes on again, but am open to any peanut gallery comments in the interim. :beer: :popcorn:

The leak is most likely the crotch of the Y pipe. The valve Robbie replaced is the EGR vacuum control solenoid. I have not popped a 401 since I replaced mine and I too am running Ricks MAS (happily) You might check the EGR sensor for crud build up.

nakman
09-25-2009, 04:23 PM
Is the EGR sensor that 14mm nut deal on the top of the intake manifold? the one that was a real bugger to break free?

Uncle Ben
09-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Is the EGR sensor that 14mm nut deal on the top of the intake manifold? the one that was a real bugger to break free?

Yup.....thats the one.

ttubb
09-25-2009, 05:03 PM
On my 80 I occasionally got the code on Scan Gage. It seemed to happen after I had been driving a while and stopped for a short time then restarted the engine. After a few minutes of highway driving I would get the code. I would reset it and the problem would not reappear for some time, like months. So I did not worry about it and it did not seem to be a problem. T

Romer
09-25-2009, 05:40 PM
An 02 sensor would pop another code on its own, but could it contribute to the P0401?

Ialso am still running Rick's MAF with the vacuum line hooked up

Corbet
09-26-2009, 07:49 AM
Mine disappeared this summer after being on for 18 months?

powderpig
09-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Your solieniod was fried (no current could pass through it to pull the valve shut).
That is what I replaced last time for you. If the code comes on again. I can give you suggestions or I can come look at it and see if my work mess up.
Let me know.

bigbluefj
09-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Code's what are these thing's you all are talkng about, NEW 80 OWNER hehe..

nakman
09-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Ok so I cleaned up the EGR sensor thing, I guess it looked dirty but it didn't look that bad. Anyway, still no return of the code, though last time it only would happen on longer trips.

:canada: Kevin you'll know soon enough, eh. ;)

Uncle Ben
09-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Code's what are these thing's you all are talkng about, NEW 80 OWNER hehe..

Got Scan Tool? ;) :lmao:

nakman
09-29-2009, 08:06 PM
bugga. CEL came on again tonight, maybe it knew I was driving back to work or something.... but it came on only a mile from home.

In addition to the 401 the scan tool says "EGR Flow Insufficient." Is that meaningful to anyone?

Romer
09-29-2009, 08:12 PM
It means the flow on your EGR is insufficient

edog 80
09-29-2009, 08:31 PM
I had the same on mine. It's a very intermittent code it seems. It was VSV for EGR on mine, kind of a bugger to get at. Mine would only come on going down I-25 after about an hour. Driving around town it never came on. I guess they go bad when they get hot on these older trucks. I pulled my upper intake to get at mine, but there are ways more competent mechanics than I can do without taking the intake off.

nakman
09-29-2009, 08:40 PM
It means the flow on your EGR is insufficient

You're obviously in management. :flipoff2:

I had the same on mine. It's a very intermittent code it seems. It was VSV for EGR on mine, kind of a bugger to get at. Mine would only come on going down I-25 after about an hour. Driving around town it never came on. I guess they go bad when they get hot on these older trucks. I pulled my upper intake to get at mine, but there are ways more competent mechanics than I can do without taking the intake off.

Yeah I may wind up just having a competent mechanic come over, would probably save me money. Last time I went through the diagnostics in the FSM my head was spinning about 4 steps in... :o

Uncle Ben
09-29-2009, 09:06 PM
You jinxed me Nakster! Didn't pop a 401 but I popped a 171 tonight about 20 miles prior to losing the speedo.:rant: Most likely the speed sensor as it bounces randomly all over the gauge when it wakes up briefly. (for upper management that would be Bank 1 too lean)

bigbluefj
09-29-2009, 09:08 PM
So with all these codes coming up what should a guy look for in a scanner??

Uncle Ben
09-29-2009, 09:09 PM
So with all these codes coming up what should a guy look for in a scanner??

Batteries! Seriously, you want to invest in the best scanner you can afford. You can at least get buy with the el cheapos as they will tell you the code and reset it for you but to go real time or data log you need to blow some cash. Of course you have already invested in a FSM and ESM just because your a smart guy and thats what smart guys buy right after they get the title. ;)

bigbluefj
09-29-2009, 09:11 PM
:blah::blah::D:D:lmao::wav::clap::doh::doh::doh::lmao::lmao:

Romer
09-29-2009, 09:18 PM
I have the autoxray4000 that reads codes and allows you to monitor as you drive. I am pretty happy with it

You should also get a factory service manual (FSM) and wiring diagram for your truck. That well help quite a bit. I am not talking the Haynes or Chilton books

Romer
09-29-2009, 09:21 PM
You're obviously in management. :flipoff2:

Sorry dude, long day

Besides . . . I luv ya man
:beer:

From what I remember it's typically the EGR or VSV, since you replaced the EGR. One is a bitch to replace and the other isn't too bad. Can't remember which is which.

bigbluefj
09-29-2009, 09:24 PM
do you mean this one??

Romer
09-29-2009, 09:26 PM
yup

DaveInDenver
09-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Are these scan tools an OBD-II thing?

I just get codes like 2 blinks-1.5 second gap-6 blinks for A/F mix malfunction, one blink-1.5 second gap-4 blinks for O2 failure, 4 blinks-1.5 second gap-1 blink for TPS error.

Uncle Ben
09-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Are these scan tools an OBD-II thing?

I just get codes like 2 blinks-1.5 second gap-6 blinks for A/F mix malfunction, one blink-1.5 second gap-4 blinks for O2 failure, 4 blinks-1.5 second gap-1 blink for TPS error.

Yessir! Think of them as a way to speak to the soul of your vehicle.

nakman
11-01-2009, 12:00 PM
So based loosely on the discussion of disabling the EGR system altogether found in this thread http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/308200-disable-egr-system-mostly-toyota-way.html among others, I decided to experiment and have bypassed my faulty temp sensor. It's still installed, but I unplugged in then jumpered the wires in the harness, as if the sensor is "on" all the time now.

So far it's been 2 weeks and about 200 miles, and no CEL :D. Also a lot of idling, including the SNR, highway driving, commuting, all the conditions that would have tripped it before. So no CEL means problem solved right? :hill:

Red_Chili
11-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Find a way to hide it or make it look normal. The emissions monkeys would be drawn to that like a bear to bait.

I'm sure NakGadget will come up with something. :lmao:

nakman
11-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Find a way to hide it or make it look normal. The emissions monkeys would be drawn to that like a bear to bait.

I'm sure NakGadget will come up with something. :lmao:

Ya think? yeah I'm going to jumper the sensor wires together under the sheathing then plug it back in, you won't be able to tell the wires don't go all the way to the sensor. This was just phase 1 to make sure this was the path I wanted to take.. :D

wesintl
11-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Hum.. that maybe just my ticket too. Mine comes on randomly then goes a way for a while then rears it's ugly head again.

powderpig
11-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Well, I had checked the other componets and then checked the temp sensor. I found the sensor to be not reading the exhaust temps(no resistance values with heat). So low flow exhaust gas code when the computer checks it.
First one I have found to have failed.

nakman
02-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Failed emissions, and no, it wasn't the gas cap.

CO measured 14.3325, limit 15.0000 (barely passed)
NOx measured 3.5782, limit 3.5000 (failed)

The documentation suggests that high NOx could be a faulty EGR system. I have been running with the EGR disabled since this thread started, and haven't seen the CEL come on since..

My 80 has also been virtually dormant for a month or so- our daughter moved up in car seats, so the Taco has become the kid hauler.. which left only 2 days/week that I could take the 80 to work, which usually turned into one day. Then a little over two weeks ago I got a ticket in the 80 for expired registration, they must have sent the renewal to my old address and I never even thought to check the license plate :doh: so rather than risk another ticket, I have been just taking the truck until I had time to mess with the 80.

Yesterday I finally made time to swap small tires onto the 80 so I could go to the emissions place, had been a solid two weeks since the 80 was even started. I drove it around for 10 minutes last night, then to work this morning, then over to the emissions place. I am wondering if I just drove it a little more would that warm things up enough to pass.. or do I need to do something more serious here, like actually fix the system I've attempted to bypass. I need to read up more on the mud thread from home tonight.

Here are the test results: 4mb .pdf file (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/nakman/nakman_emissions.pdf)

Tch2fly
02-22-2010, 01:47 PM
High NOx is the result of high combustion temps, the EGR system inject an inert gas (exhaust) which cools the combustion so a inoperative system could cause the failure (especially since you only missed by a bit).
A cool engine should help not hurt (but could have hurt the CO).

High combustion temps can also be due to a very lean mixture but obviously that is not the case here.

nakman
02-22-2010, 01:54 PM
I also had high CO- measured 14.3325 out of 15.0000. A little more reading suggests a dirty air cleaner, I think I've got a new one in the tool box so I'll change that out just to be on the safe side. I'm half thinking if I just drive off this tank of gas (probably 5 weeks old?) and fill up with a new tank of 91 octane that I can pass next time no problem..

I'm going to post up to that EGR thread in the mean time just for fun. :)

Tch2fly
02-22-2010, 03:14 PM
I also had high CO- measured 14.3325 out of 15.0000. A little more reading suggests a dirty air cleaner, I think I've got a new one in the tool box so I'll change that out just to be on the safe side. :)

I saw that (my disclaimer about a lean mixture NOT being a problem here :D ). Keep in mind that changing any one of the three, NOx/CO/HC usually has some effect on the others.
Your rich mixture could also mask a higher combustion temp issue (extra fuel cools the burn) so dropping the CO could actually raise the NOx further.

Mine failed because it was super lean due to bad O2 sensors. New O2 sensor and the richer mixture dropped temps and NOx values.

powderpig
02-22-2010, 04:03 PM
I think returning the timing to stock or maybe retarding it a little would help as well. Most of us set the base timing to a bit more than stock and this could create some of this as well. I think you also need to drive it a bit more. The fuel has settled some after 3 weeks. The ethenol settles out in due time, so it will also attract some moisture in the tank if it can.
I need to strap on the emission tires and head to the station as well, I am due to work on the 80 as well.

Uncle Ben
02-22-2010, 04:20 PM
I think returning the timing to stock or maybe retarding it a little would help as well. Most of us set the base timing to a bit more than stock and this could create some of this as well. I think you also need to drive it a bit more. The fuel has settled some after 3 weeks. The ethenol settles out in due time, so it will also attract some moisture in the tank if it can.
I need to strap on the emission tires and head to the station as well, I am due to work on the 80 as well.

Good luck sir! My e-tires are at the house besides the garage if needed...

nakman
02-22-2010, 04:27 PM
I think returning the timing to stock or maybe retarding it a little would help as well. Most of us set the base timing to a bit more than stock and this could create some of this as well.

Are you saying my timing as been advanced? I mean it's cool with me if so, but there have only been two of us poking around under the hood and I'm pretty sure I don't know how to do that... :o

I think you also need to drive it a bit more. The fuel has settled some after 3 weeks. The ethenol settles out in due time, so it will also attract some moisture in the tank if it can.

That's what I was hoping to hear... I will drive the 80 all week and try to get through most of this old gas, hopefully I don't get pulled over again in the process.

nakman
02-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Good luck sir! My e-tires are at the house besides the garage if needed...

Kevin what kind of tires are they- are they AT's? could I borrow them? My 255 Maxxis sounded like hell on those rollers, everyone in the place looked over to see what was making all the noise and shaking the earth when the guy had it up to speed... it got squirrely a couple times too I was worried he was going to lose it. Maybe a little less rolling resistance would be a good thing for the numbers too?

Bikeman
02-22-2010, 05:16 PM
I would talk to or PM thefatkid, Brian, for some ideas. He has so much experience with EGR related to 80's and the 3.4 conversions he has done, as well as worked for Slee for a time. He basically took the 3 codes my LX had including the 401 code and the next day it passed with flying colors. Not to discredit Robbie, the one and only Cruiser God!

treerootCO
02-22-2010, 05:23 PM
I have new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, PCV, and air filter if you want to borrow them. They are all Toyota and sitting in a box. Let me know.

When I go to the emissions place, I over inflate the tires for less rolling resistance, change the oil, install new air filter, time the engine to spec, make sure all electrical devices are off for them to test, open all windows and sunroof(they don't throttle it as much if they can hear the engine/tires), drive a minimum of 50 miles on a new tank of gas, and add two bottles of Heet (Red bottle) to the tank. I also have a new gas cap sitting on the shelf because that really burns me when I pass and they fail me on the cap.

Crash
02-22-2010, 05:30 PM
Aren't the 80 series OEM air filters all washable? I've read that they are good for 10 or more washings and that ought to be at least 10 years worth, or close to it, eh?
Tim, fresh gas and some hiway miles to blow out the cobwebs sure wouldn't hurt. Also, it seems to me that with close to a 10% ratio of ethanol to petroleum fuel per gallon at the pump, adding heet or other water absorbing products is sort of overkill, isn't it?

Uncle Ben
02-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Kevin what kind of tires are they- are they AT's? could I borrow them? My 255 Maxxis sounded like hell on those rollers, everyone in the place looked over to see what was making all the noise and shaking the earth when the guy had it up to speed... it got squirrely a couple times too I was worried he was going to lose it. Maybe a little less rolling resistance would be a good thing for the numbers too?

Stock Michellins on stock 97 80 wheels...I think... Of course you can borrow them....

Tch2fly
02-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Tim, just put your 35s back on and tell them that was how they tested it the first time through ...it worked for me:D They balked but measured them and they were under 34" mounted on the truck, so away he went
It ran better on the dyno with the 315s then it did using the 265s off my Taco or the 285s I had on 2 yrs ago.

Hulk
02-22-2010, 06:36 PM
I couldn't pass until I replaced my catalytic converters. Once they were both replaced, I passed with great scores. I also replaced both of the O2 sensors with OEM units.

bh4rnnr
02-22-2010, 06:53 PM
A long shot, but what about spending some good time on the highway before the e-test. Get that sucker nice and warm. Did this back in 08 after it failed the first time. Passed with flying colors after driving it on the highway the 2nd time.

Corbet
02-22-2010, 07:16 PM
Tim, do you have the Landtank mass air flow mod? I don't recall but if so cold that be causing a slightly lean mixture and higher combustion temps? Thinking out load and remembering how happy I am to not have to do tis every year like you front ranger folk.

Crash
02-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Easy catalytic converter test, per BVB, is to get the engine up to temp and then run it for a minute or so at 1500 rpm. While at that engine speed with a temp gun check cat inlet and outlet temps. The post-cat temp should be something like 300 or more degrees farenheit higher than the inlet temps. If the inlet/outlet temps are similar, then the cats need to be replaced.

nakman
02-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Easy catalytic converter test, per BVB, is to get the engine up to temp and then run it for a minute or so at 1500 rpm. While at that engine speed with a temp gun check cat inlet and outlet temps. The post-cat temp should be something like 300 or more degrees farenheit higher than the inlet temps. If the inlet/outlet temps are similar, then the cats need to be replaced.

Ok I think I've got one of those at work, so just point the dot at the exhaust pipe huh? If I can find the gun I'll report back what numbers I see. And yes Steve the new air filters are washable, but I have had questionable success with that.. usually the air gun doesn't blow all the dirt out, then the water just turns the dust to mud, then the whole thing looks terrible, especially when compared to a new one.

Yes I do have the Landtank MAF mod.. am hoping to get through this without undoing that though. My plan at this point is drive the heck out of the 80 for the rest of the week, and just hope I don't get pulled over again. On Saturday I'll clean out my tuna can, put in my new air filter, maybe wipe out some dust from inside the big air tube, Try to get 1/4 tank into new tank before the next test next Monday. If I fail again, then we'll have to get further into this, but I feel like I was so close to passing that I should probably just try to take the test again.

Maybe we'll have a new legislation about air quality in 2 years so I don't have to go through this again..

powderpig
02-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Well I did not pass today. I was turned away the first time with my 34.5 tires, because the paper said no tires over 34".
anyhow My NOX was 14.75. I was even allow to keep my car running to keep the cats hot, what a hoot. I used UB thermogun and saw that one cat was dead even in and out (584 degrees F) the other was 630 in and 700 out. Anyhow new cats on order, direct bolt in from Bosal on line for 200/per cat. So much cheaper than stock. I did not even want to mess with cut and weld yet. I want to build my own exhaust when I have time. Yes I could of gone with many other compaines that do a cut and weld, but I did want to retain the bolt in bolt out feature. Who know what will happen to the shells of the old cats.
Tim, carbon on top of pistons will also cause high NOX. It might be worth to pick up some additive that will help burn some of that off. Redline addtive will help, as will sea foam, and some of the other gas additives. Also running the piss out of with some additives will help. Like keep it in lower gears, higher RPM's will help.
You are not that far off in the grand schem of things.

60wag
02-23-2010, 05:33 PM
My 80 got tested not too long ago with the Landtank MAF sensor in it and passed just fine. NOx at 0.55, CO at 2.3, HC at 0.05. With both the NOx and CO high on yours, I'd bet on weak cats - although a functional EGR wouldn't hurt.

nakman
02-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Ok I measured my cat temps just now.. 344 going in, then 290 out, then 250 going into the second one, then 300 going out. Measured 400 right at the Y pipe.. oh and someone set this thing to Celcius, sorry about that I can convert later I'm cooking dinner right now.

Oh and it gets better, my CEL came on at lunch today. I think my little solder job on the temp sensor wire must have come undone, it was cold out when I did it and I am a terrible solderer anyway.. I will pull the code later tonight once the kids are in bed to see if it's 401 again, if it's 402 then I've got the other side to the EGR issue now, and if it's 420 then I need cats right? stay tuned...

60wag
02-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Here's a good primer on catalytic converter operation - its from Toyota

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h64.pdf

It also gets into oxygen sensors too.

At the end of the article it describes a test comparing the signals from the O2 sensors upstream and downstream of the cats to determine the function of the cats.

nakman
02-23-2010, 08:11 PM
So do you think I need new cats Bruce? I just checked and it's 401 again, I fixed those wires together better this time am about to take it out for a spin to see if the CEL stays off.

60wag
02-23-2010, 08:39 PM
There are a bunch of things that can cause high NOx. There are several things that can cause high CO. To get high CO and high NOx at the same time, I think there are few possible causes - weak cats would do it. The TWC efficiency test decribed in the article looks pretty simple for a shop that has the diagnostic gear. It should determine whether its the cats, the sensor(s) or something else. Also the temp rise you measured seems pretty weak. You want to see 750F (400C) for efficient cat operation.

There is also a comment in the article mentioning coolant contamination as being bad for cats. You've pushed a few quarts of coolant through your exhaust, haven't you?

nakman
02-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Ok I just got back from driving 35 miles, about 45 minutes. Front of the first cat is 615 F, then 616. the second cat measures 607 then 673. While I was at it, both diffs measured 97, the transmission pan 109, oil pan 165 and t-case drain plug 118.5. Once you get under there with the laser thermometer it's hard to control yourself..

I read through that article, thanks for that. I didn't see any numbers in the 700's though.. maybe since it's cold out? Sounds like I probably do need new cats.. they are original (168,400 miles) plus they may have been gently rubbed upon rocks a few times. I've got a rattle somewhere too, and adding more hose clamps didn't completely fix it last time I was messing with it.

Yes I did burn some coolant, probably a gallon of it over a month long period. That would have been just before my head gasket was replaced July 2002 with 111516 miles. then in November of 2002 and 114247 miles I had a P0420 CEL, and received two new O2 sensors.

Crash
02-23-2010, 09:57 PM
[QUOTE=nakman;<snip> And yes Steve the new air filters are washable, but I have had questionable success with that.. usually the air gun doesn't blow all the dirt out, then the water just turns the dust to mud, then the whole thing looks terrible, especially when compared to a new one.
<snip>

I feel the same way about washing a paper air filter, never having had a washable paper filter element before. They don't look bright and shiny when the element dries and they are mighty wrinkled. Robbie, or anyone else, have any comments about repeated washings of the OEM paper air filter for an 80?
BVB informed me that the differences between the cat inlet and outlet temps should be two or three hundred degrees if it is working properly. I wouldn't think air temps would drop the exhaust temps much at all when everything is operating properly. The burning of the NOx and other emission contaminants by the cat is what causes the inlet/outlet temp variance and if the temp difference is less than 100 degrees, then there isn't much catalytic conversion going on. Hope that isn't too redundant.

nakman
02-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Last thought, is if I need to get new cats then I may as well just get all new exhaust from the Y-pipe back, right? Then I can get the fancy over the frame deal that UB and Romer have... who do you guys recommend again?

I am presuming the shop would have a good way to test the current O2 sensors? And I've never bought a muffler in my life, what kind of muffler do I need? This is starting to feel expensive, I'm glad I got that fridge last week otherwise it would have never happened! :)

wesintl
02-23-2010, 10:13 PM
This is starting to feel expensive..
P.O. box in.. ;)

Bikeman
02-24-2010, 07:53 AM
I woud look to see if the VSV is bad before throwing $$$ at the cats. I have 170K on the cats on the LX and the Nox and CO were low. I can post the #'s, but the NOx was at 5 or 7, and Brian indicated the EGR was flowing well.

nakman
02-24-2010, 08:49 AM
I think my VSV has been replaced, when the 401 issue was dealt with a couple years ago. I'll have to check my folder of receipts though.

What do you guys think of this setup http://forum.ih8mud.com/ih8mud-com-vendor-marketplace/323450-fzj80-exhaust-upgrade.html

DaveInDenver
02-24-2010, 08:56 AM
although a functional EGR wouldn't hurt.
My experience is that the EGR system makes little to no difference in the Air Care numbers, at least on the 22R-E.

corsair23
02-24-2010, 09:38 AM
What do you guys think of this setup http://forum.ih8mud.com/ih8mud-com-vendor-marketplace/323450-fzj80-exhaust-upgrade.html

I like that setup and Baktash seems like a good dude...That said, ever since Hulk had the issue with passing with just one cat, I'm thinking you've got to go with two cats :confused:

nakman
02-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Well my plan today is get some fuel additive, and try to put another 200 miles on the 80 this weekend with a new air cleaner. Then get some new gas, warm up the truck and see if I can squeak by on the retest.

At some point I'd like to replace the whole mess, and be done with all the dents & rattles down there, possibly get a little HP gain... but in the mean time if I can pass emissions and keep the CEL at bay I'm ok with putting this one off. I'd rather have a new inverter :)

Uncle Ben
02-24-2010, 09:59 AM
I like that setup and Baktash seems like a good dude...That said, ever since Hulk had the issue with passing with just one cat, I'm thinking you've got to go with two cats :confused:

That is a great setup for normally aspirated trucks! 1 cat is more than sufficient for the sniffer but if the droids at ACC actually look and know how to read the e-info on the sticker under your hood they see that it states (2) 3way cat which means a single will fail a visual. Nothing in the droid manual says the cats have to be the same shape only that both have to be a 3 way so you could use the one in the picture then add a performance type spun high flow after it and still have enough room to go up and over.

wesintl
02-24-2010, 10:04 AM
my thought when the time comes is to buy his y down pipe and add the 2nd bosal or whomever 2nd cat and stock rest of the way.

Uncle Ben
02-24-2010, 10:05 AM
my thought when the time comes is to buy his y down pipe and add the 2nd bosal or whomever 2nd cat and stock rest of the way.

I really like his down pipe too!

Red_Chili
02-24-2010, 10:06 AM
I think my VSV has been replaced, when the 401 issue was dealt with a couple years ago. I'll have to check my folder of receipts though.

My goodness, you ARE starting to look expensive.
That sure looks nice, but I bet it could be built locally for less. The tailpipe looks vulnerable. Is stainless really needed?

Red_Chili
02-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Ok I just got back from driving 35 miles, about 45 minutes. Front of the first cat is 615 F, then 616. the second cat measures 607 then 673. While I was at it, both diffs measured 97, the transmission pan 109, oil pan 165 and t-case drain plug 118.5. Once you get under there with the laser thermometer it's hard to control yourself..

You forgot a few things.
1) your forehead
2) your left shoe
3) the cat. No, the furry one.
4) the neighbor's door frame versus yours (leaking heat)

Hulk
02-24-2010, 10:34 AM
1 cat is more than sufficient for the sniffer but if the droids at ACC actually look and know how to read the e-info on the sticker under your hood they see that it states (2) 3way cat which means a single will fail a visual.

I had a single cat that replaced both of the stock units, installed by AA Performance Muffler. Scott said the newer cats are more efficient and he thought it would take care of everything. The droids at ACC never questioned it, but the actual test results caused me to fail. Had the test results been better, I would have passed with 1 cat, no problem. I replaced the O2 sensors, but this didn't fix the problem. Finally, we put a second cat behind the first, and my test results were excellent.

sleeoffroad
02-24-2010, 10:38 AM
The last 4 to five times we took a vehicle to the emissions on McIntire and 58th, the checked the number of cats and failed if it was not right. The one on Wadsworth, did not. Go figure.

I am ready to move to someplace without this BS.

treerootCO
02-24-2010, 10:39 AM
...i Am Ready To Move To Someplace Without This Bs.

X2

Red_Chili
02-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Businesses feel the same way when choosing a place to locate, and hire folks.

Careful who you vote for.

Bikeman
02-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Regarding the EMS system, I don't like the tailpipe location. You will crunch it. The best tailpipe exit would be a turndown right in front of the rear bumper. Also, I've heard that the EMS system will produce the infamous whistle.

Jacket
02-24-2010, 12:32 PM
So is the predominant issue that 15 year old Cruisers have aging cat's that need to be replaced because they've exceed their service life? Or is it more complicated than that?

Uncle Ben
02-24-2010, 01:59 PM
So is the predominant issue that 15 year old Cruisers have aging cat's that need to be replaced because they've exceed their service life? Or is it more complicated than that?

Sorta.......the problem is that your elected officials don't only want your old cat off the road they want the vehicle it's on off. Beginning of last year the e standard was tightened by 35%. Those quick thinking readers out there quickly realize that their 10-15 year old vehicle was not designed at the factory to meet the new standards......hmmmmm. Now you even procrastinated too long and you can't even take the $4500 Cash For Clunkers money...... So to help the failing economy you need to go further into debt and buy a new vehicle that will meet the new standards so your borrowed money can further bail out failing American auto manufactures! Screw recycling....we have "hope!" :rant:

thefatkid
02-24-2010, 02:14 PM
The NOX standards were reduced even greater then 35%, though not sure where the 35% number came from. I've heard 35% from my manager also, he attends the Air Care info classes on a regular basis.

1992 4runner as an example

2008 test pass maximum measured in GPM (grams per mile)

HC 4.0
CO 25.0
NOX 9.0

2010 maximum readings in GPM

HC 1.2
CO 15.0
NOX 2.5

I'd fix your EGR the correct way and see what your numbers return. Your cats could be ok but your numbers skewed due to the very high NOX readings. Not saying that your cats O2 storage is very good anymore and you still might need cats, just replacing them is masking the real issue of a failed emissions control componet.

corsair23
02-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Ran into this last year on the 80 too...My link (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10040&highlight=emissions+testing+test)

Here were the changes from 2007 to 2009 :eek:

Crash
02-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Sorta.......the problem is that your elected officials don't only want your old cat off the road they want the vehicle it's on off. Beginning of last year the e standard was tightened by 35%. Those quick thinking readers out there quickly realize that their 10-15 year old vehicle was not designed at the factory to meet the new standards......hmmmmm. Now you even procrastinated too long and you can't even take the $4500 Cash For Clunkers money...... So to help the failing economy you need to go further into debt and buy a new vehicle that will meet the new standards so your borrowed money can further bail out failing American auto manufactures! Screw recycling....we have "hope!" :rant:

Not to defend anyone, but wasn't it a Ritter push that got the state emission limits tightened up so?

Uncle Ben
02-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Not to defend anyone, but wasn't it a Ritter push that got the state emission limits tightened up so?

Is Ritter not an elected official?

Crash
02-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Is Ritter not an elected official?

Yes, but he didn't run on the message of "hope". This thread is in the tech section not political section.

Uncle Ben
02-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Yes, but he didn't run on the message of "hope". This thread is in the tech section not political section.

But like the other we now have to "cope!" Hi-jack off

nakman
02-24-2010, 04:19 PM
Alright, alright, I get it now... so two years ago I would have passed no problem, but because the rules changed now I no longer pass? So my truck that two years ago was A-OK according to the State of Colorado air quality standards today is deemed to be over-polluting.

Kind of like making an older house meet today's building codes when it gets remodeled? Ok this is a little political now isn't it..

Uncle Ben
02-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Alright, alright, I get it now... so two years ago I would have passed no problem, but because the rules changed now I no longer pass? So my truck that two years ago was A-OK according to the State of Colorado air quality standards today is deemed to be over-polluting.

Kind of like making an older house meet today's building codes when it gets remodeled? Ok this is a little political now isn't it..

Very good Grasshopper! :thumb::thumb:

http://xxxicana.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/word_kung_fu.jpg

Crash
02-24-2010, 07:01 PM

Home insurance companies have been sticking it to us for more than 20 years, in my experience, in the exact same way. It goes beyond the Republicrat/Demopublican divides.

treerootCO
02-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Pulled this one off Mud.

http://www.bouldercounty.org/health/pr/pdf/CutpointsChangeTable.pdf

Hulk
02-24-2010, 11:47 PM
Pulled this one off Mud.

http://www.bouldercounty.org/health/pr/pdf/CutpointsChangeTable.pdf

That's the reason I needed 2 cats to pass. :mad:

Good thing Ritter ain't running again.

nuclearlemon
02-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Speaking of ritter, you have three days to order stuff off the internet before you have to pay taxes.:mad:

Crash
02-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Speaking of ritter, you have three days to order stuff off the internet before you have to pay taxes.:mad:

Jeebus, and I heard an advert on the radio yesterday saying to contact your local legislators to squelch an effort to tax music played on the radio? Didn't catch the full gist of the story so if anyone knows, please fill us in. Christo, you are going to have to move father away that from the Front Range to get away from this BS as you were mentioning recently. :confused:

DaveInDenver
02-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Didn't catch the full gist of the story so if anyone knows, please fill us in.
Colorado HB10-1193 (http://www.leg.state.co.us/CLICS/CLICS2010A/csl.nsf/fsbillcont3/B30F574193882B4B872576A80026BE0C?Open&file=1193_01.pdf)

A BILL FOR AN ACT CONCERNING THE COLLECTION OF 101 SALES AND USE TAXES ON SALES MADE BY OUT-OF-STATE RETAILERS.

Bill Summary

Section 1 of the bill relates to current law requiring a retailer to collect sales tax from a person residing in this state only if the retailer has sufficient connections with this state. Commencing March 1, 2010, section 1 articulates a presumption that any out-of-state retailer that has a referral relationship with an affiliate has an obligation to collect sales tax. The bill specifies that the presumption may be rebutted by the out-of-state retailer if the retailer can show that the affiliate with whom the retailer has such a relationship did not engage in active solicitation. The bill defines an affiliate as a person residing in this state that solicits business by means of a public forum in this state.

Section 2 specifies that, for purposes of any efforts to collect use tax, the executive director of the department of revenue may issue a subpoena to any out-of-state retailer if the out-of-state retailer refuses to voluntarily furnish specific information when requested and may take the out-of-state retailer's testimony under oath. If the out-of-state retailer fails or refuses to respond to the subpoena and give testimony, the executive director may apply to any judge of the district court of the state of Colorado for an attachment against the out-of-state retailer for contempt.

Crash
02-25-2010, 10:49 AM
[QUOTE=DaveInDenver;139212]Colorado HB10-1193 (http://www.leg.state.co.us/CLICS/CLICS2010A/csl.nsf/fsbillcont3/B30F574193882B4B872576A80026BE0C?Open&file=1193_01.pdf)

A BILL FOR AN ACT CONCERNING THE COLLECTION OF 101 SALES AND USE TAXES ON SALES MADE BY OUT-OF-STATE RETAILERS.

<snip>
Thanks Dave, but I was looking for info on the taxation of music played on the radio. I bet that you know the answers, or will shortly, on that issue too.
Hey, did I leave my cooler there the other night? The contents are probably long gone but that's cool.

Uncle Ben
02-25-2010, 11:20 AM

Hmmmmm......sumthin' about practicin' what your preachin'......

Jacket
02-25-2010, 11:43 AM
Wow - I feel partially responsible for sparking this political debate in the Tech forum.....:o

corsair23
02-25-2010, 11:50 AM
Might have to have the guy with the "powah" split this thread :D

I know I will want to refer back to this thread in an attempt to remember what to do when my LX and 80 fail emissions (which seems almost inevitable)...

That said, the politics behind why my trucks fail an arbitrary test down the road (and the tangents taken) is interesting but for sure those discussions belong over in the political forum...

DaveInDenver
02-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks Dave, but I was looking for info on the taxation of music played on the radio. I bet that you know the answers, or will shortly, on that issue too.
Hey, did I leave my cooler there the other night? The contents are probably long gone but that's cool.
Contents are very much intact. Didn't realize there was Keystone in there until the next day, so it was already warm. 'Course that probably won't make it taste any worse. :-) You also left your gloves I think.

BTW, not familiar with taxing radio music but I know Radio 1190 was concerned a year or two ago about the way royalties would be collected on streaming music. Don't think it impacted broadcast radio, but I dunno.

Red_Chili
02-25-2010, 12:41 PM

nakman
02-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Might have to have the guy with the "powah" split this thread :D

I know I will want to refer back to this thread in an attempt to remember what to do when my LX and 80 fail emissions (which seems almost inevitable)...

That said, the politics behind why my trucks fail an arbitrary test down the road (and the tangents taken) is interesting but for sure those discussions belong over in the political forum...

I tried to move most of this page and half of the last page, but I'm not a mod over in Poli-ville, so couldn't do it.

But I was at Checker today, picked up a bottle of Lucas fuel injector cleaner for $10.83 including tax. Guy behind the counter said that's the best stuff, and if you were close on NOx you'll pass with this stuff for sure. Go fill up, run half of it down, then take the test. So that's the plan...

Then while I was there another dude was in there with a CEL asking if they had an OBDII card reader. Same guy behind the counter said they can't pull codes anymore due to liability reasons. wtf? :confused: I overheard them and said "hey man I'll pull your code for ya, let's go" and out to the parking lot we went. Turns out he's in a 1999 Taco, first thing he says is "is that your 80?" :D And he happens to have a 40 at home.. go figure, small world huh? So Lars if you're reading this welcome back to the forum man. :cheers: Also I hope you get your PO171 figured out, a solution probably better left to a different thread.. ;)

corsair23
02-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Hey Tim...

There is a thread over on MUD titled "Colorado Emissions Failure" - In short a guy in Colorado was buying a '94 FZJ80 but the 80 was failing NOX...

Here was his follow up:

Thought I'd bring the thread to a conclusion. Seller had new cats put on and it passed with a 1.7 NOX. I'm pretty sure he had it done at the dealership and he said the mechanic told him that they had been seeing a lot of 80 series in the shop with these issues since the NOX limit dropped from 9 to 4.

Seller also said the dealer, who had earlier in the process replaced the oxygen sensor, told him that a failed oxygen sensor took out the cats because the engine was running too rich.

But in any case, I'll be picking it up in the next few days.

I have a feeling that many of us 80 owners will be replacing cats and O2 sensors over the next couple years, if they haven't already been replaced.

bomber22
02-25-2010, 01:16 PM
hey nakeman thanks again. I just posted a thread on the p0171 code, preety easy fix

Red_Chili
02-25-2010, 01:29 PM
I have a feeling that many of us 80 owners will be replacing cats and O2 sensors over the next couple years, if they haven't already been replaced.
Minitruck guys too, O2s at least.
Most of us used to wait until they threw a code. But they are marginal waaaaaay before that. I am deciding whether an O2 would pay for itself in improved mileage alone. Maybe not right way, but probably can't wait toooo long.

corsair23
02-25-2010, 01:41 PM
I am deciding whether an O2 would pay for itself in improved mileage alone. Maybe not right way, but probably can't wait toooo long.

I've had the same "wonderings" :) - I've been told you don't replace the O2 sensors until they throw a code...Makes sense but if they gradually reduce their effectiveness and start affecting mileage a little more every year, one would think new O2 sensors could at least pay for themselves over their lifetime, if not more than pay for themselves :confused:

It seems though that it is almost prudent to replace both the cats and the O2 sensors together though if there is a chance a bad O2 sensor will burn out a cat...

DaveInDenver
02-25-2010, 03:01 PM
It seems though that it is almost prudent to replace both the cats and the O2 sensors together though if there is a chance a bad O2 sensor will burn out a cat...
And vice versa, a poorly running engine can ruin the O2. When I built the new engine I used an old O2 at break-in because I assumed all that burning assembly lube and crap would foul it. That seemed to be the case because it threw the code not long after, but that was an experiment and so I had the new one to put in.

BTW, http://www.sparkplugs.com sells Denso O2 sensors with the proper plug for a lot cheaper than Toyota. Dunno if that's well known or not.

60wag
02-25-2010, 03:48 PM
Its my understanding that the sensor in front of the cat is the one controlling the mixture in the engine. The one after the cat is monitoring cat function. If you were to do a prophylactic sensor replacement, the front one ought to do it.

Uncle Ben
02-25-2010, 03:52 PM
It might be off track but not really....you can't possibly talk about older trucks now failing emissions due to new standards in place they they were not ever designed to meet without bringing up politics.... :rolleyes: :cheers:

rover67
02-25-2010, 03:53 PM
Its my understanding that the sensor in front of the cat is the one controlling the mixture in the engine. The one after the cat is monitoring cat function. If you were to do a prophylactic sensor replacement, the front one ought to do it.

Yep, that's my understanding as well..

Also, you can try to clean a contaminated o2 sensor by heating it up with a torch.. I have never tried it, but i've read about it.

Red_Chili
02-25-2010, 04:10 PM
BTW, http://www.sparkplugs.com sells Denso O2 sensors with the proper plug for a lot cheaper than Toyota. Dunno if that's well known or not.
+1! :thumb:
Not sure these days but they even beat the Rising Sun discount when I needed them.

Red_Chili
02-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Now this is interesting... different O2 for auto and manual trans?? (1997 5VZ-FE 4Runner)
Denso OE identical O2 sensor 234-4162 234-4162 FRONT Automatic Transmission Sale: $76.12
Denso OE identical O2 sensor 234-4161 234-4161 FRONT Manual Transmission $93.21

And about $15 cheaper if you don't mind splicing wires. Hmmm.

thefatkid
02-25-2010, 05:01 PM
Now this is interesting... different O2 for auto and manual trans?? (1997 5VZ-FE 4Runner)
Denso OE identical O2 sensor 234-4162 234-4162 FRONT Automatic Transmission Sale: $76.12
Denso OE identical O2 sensor 234-4161 234-4161 FRONT Manual Transmission $93.21

And about $15 cheaper if you don't mind splicing wires. Hmmm.

Carefull Bill, the resistance values are different between the auto and manual. One is 7ohms and the other is 13ohms. The difference is enough to set a oxygen sensor heater circut malfunction code. Ask me how I know:rolleyes:

nakman
03-01-2010, 08:34 AM
So get this- I get to the Broomfield Air Care place, I'm 3 deep in line. 25 minutes later they're still messing with the first truck.. then the gal comes in to say sorry folks, the all wheel drive rollers are broken. Here's the number you can call us later this afternoon to see if we've got them fixed, or here's a map to a different location. :rant:

edit: I pulled a 10 sticker off of our Prius' old plate, so in the interim at least my license plate appears to be current. :)

FJBRADY
03-01-2010, 08:40 AM
then the gal comes in to say sorry folks, the all wheel drive rollers are broken.

What a pain in the a**!

Uncle Ben
03-01-2010, 10:35 AM
What a pain in the a**!

rrrrrrrrrrrrr X2... :rant:

Crash
03-01-2010, 10:36 AM
UB, are you suffering from cabin fever? Every other post of yours has a rant smiley in it these days.

bigbluefj
03-01-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm sure glad i don't need to go through this wow!!! :D:D

Kevin

Uncle Ben
03-01-2010, 02:11 PM
UB, are you suffering from cabin fever? Every other post of yours has a rant smiley in it these days.

My time of the month! :rolleyes: Actually I realized that too. Been really busy and I do pretty good about breezing over the forum to say in touch with whats going on but most post I make are knee jerk lately either about grievances or when I have an answer that needs to come out as an active contributer. My apologies for seeming grumpy! ....and yes....I do have cabin fever and yes....I plan on rectifying that too!
:rant: :borg: :cheer:

treerootCO
03-01-2010, 03:28 PM
So get this- I get to the Broomfield Air Care place, I'm 3 deep in line. 25 minutes later they're still messing with the first truck.. then the gal comes in to say sorry folks, the all wheel drive rollers are broken. Here's the number you can call us later this afternoon to see if we've got them fixed, or here's a map to a different location. :rant:

edit: I pulled a 10 sticker off of our Prius' old plate, so in the interim at least my license plate appears to be current. :)

That is BS! :mad: It was broken when I was there when I bought my 80! Same story then too.

Crash
03-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Heck, Uncle Ben, at least you aren't grumpy all of the time like I am. I've recently doubled my Metamucil intake and that seems to be helping and spring is right around the corner. That always helps in coming out of hibernation. Been jonesin' for a road trip - one of those always set me straight. I hope your cabin fever plan works well for you.
:campfire:

nakman
03-02-2010, 12:38 PM
So yesterday at lunch I go down to the Arvada station... forget it that line must have been 20 deep, easily an hour+ wait.

Today I called to verify the AWD rollers are working again, so I take an early lunch to try to beat "the rush." I wait for 20 minutes before I even get to the dude, which I used to eat my Taco Bell and idle at 1500rpm's... :hill:

I finally get my chance on the rollers and it was the most adventure I've ever experienced there. The roller girl runs through the test, and I'm watching the screen and it says "test aborted - oil leak failure." WTF? Don't get me started... my 80 does a lot of things but one thing it does NOT do is leak oil... and I sure don't see anything hitting the ground.

But whatever, fire it up again here we go for round two. This time the screen says something like "unable to retrieve deceleration data - manager approval required." Are you kidding me? So the girl goes and gets another guy, also the senior manager gal, they huddle up followed by, you guessed it.. test three. By this time I've made pretty good friends with the H3 guy in line behind me, who at this point is starting to worry about his new cold air intake and high flow cat-back exhaust... :lmao:

So round three ends with the same error message, but they quickly scrolled through the screens and on forward the 80 was waved. Now it gets really good- manager gal drives the 80 forward, not roller girl... and in addition to handing the gas cap to the old guy at the computer, she proceeds to inspect this truck for no less than 10 minutes, I'm serious. She didn't peek at the cats with the mirror, she laid under the truck for a solid 5 minutes! She then opens the hood, stands on the front tire, then who knows what she's looking at but eventually jumps down and shuts the hood. Looking irritated, she walks back to old guy at the computer, taps in a few comments into the system, then heads back to wherever she's used to standing.

I finally get "the wave," and old computer guy hands me the paper with the "passed the inspection, good for 2 years" explanation of what all they just went through.. wtf just happened? Also the H3 is already done at this point, it's right up behind me with another car already on the rollers (that's how long the visual inspection took)

And to recap, I did next to nothing- I ran my original tank of gas almost empty, then dumped in a bottle of Lucas Fuel System cleaner and filled up with 91 octane.
http://www.lucasoil.com/images/products/236DC5B004C3C73B7FBD3C54C7BDE818.gif

Then I illegally transferred a "10" sticker from an old license plate onto the 80, and proceeded to drive about 200 more miles, including some solid highway miles.

Can't wait to put the 35's back on, see you in 2 years, Air Care Colorado.. http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/thefinger.gif

edit: So my CO is down to less than half- is that just the newer gas? And the ozone layer is better but it looks like I'm killing plants now, as I'm somehow releasing less CO2

Here are the readings:

Bikeman
03-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Congrats!

Hulk
03-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Good lord, what a PITA! Glad you passed, Tim. Maybe if you drive by one of the ACC trucks on the side of the road, you won't need to do this again in 2 years.

MDH33
03-02-2010, 01:22 PM
... She then opens the hood, stands on the front tire, then who knows what she's looking at but eventually jumps down and shuts the hood. Looking irritated, she walks back to old guy at the computer, taps in a few comments into the system, then heads back to wherever she's used to standing.

I thought for sure she was going to fail you for the illegal Snackster bolted to your manifold. :hill:

Glad you passed! :thumb:

nakman
03-02-2010, 01:43 PM
I thought for sure she was going to fail you for the illegal Snackster bolted to your manifold. :hill:

:lmao: yeah good thing they don't test the driver for methane. :eek:

bigbluefj
03-02-2010, 02:16 PM
And i say it again i'm sure glad i don't have to go through that!!! Good for you Tim Glad your done with it ..

Kevin

Crash
03-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Tim, I think you answered your own questioning by saying you practically emptied the fuel tank of the old gasoline and added a new tankful with a little bottle of Lucas - next to nothing. Oxygenated fuel has a real short shelf life so keeping the gas fresh is important. Really glad you got the job done, finally, and won't have to repeat the situation for another two years. I wonder how much stricter the regulations will be by then? :eek:

nakman
03-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Tim, I think you answered your own questioning by saying you practically emptied the fuel tank of the old gasoline and added a new tankful with a little bottle of Lucas - next to nothing. Oxygenated fuel has a real short shelf life so keeping the gas fresh is important. Really glad you got the job done, finally, and won't have to repeat the situation for another two years.

Well I still have holes and dents in the exhaust, still have rattles, I still may want to route that pipe over the frame. But at least now I don't have to get it all done by next weekend.

I wonder how much stricter the regulations will be by then? :eek:
no kidding. :( Maybe we should all chip in on a small lot in Weld county..

60wag
03-02-2010, 04:08 PM
After all the hassle I had getting my old 60 to pass some years ago, I still get a racing heartbeat and sweaty palms whenever I take a vehicle in to test. I think your new numbers show how sloppy the diagnostic equipment is - lower CO should mean higher CO2. Anyhow, glad to hear it passed. I do wonder what the heck she was staring at under there - maybe she's a jeep owner and was shocked by the stout drive line?

corsair23
03-02-2010, 04:22 PM
What's the chance that she just typed in some numbers she made up :confused: :hill:

Congrats on getting it through...Next year I'm up on both the 80 and LX...I can hardly wait :rolleyes:

nakman
03-02-2010, 04:38 PM
And i say it again i'm sure glad i don't have to go through that!!! Good for you Tim Glad your done with it ..

Kevin

Kevin the irony is if we lived 20 minutes north we wouldn't have to do this.. it's just because we're in the metro area. Same for Corbet out in Durango, they don't have to deal with this either.

Jeff I don't think she typed in numbers, but she clearly had to buy-off on some type of visual inspection. Maybe I was a special case because it's a re-test?

Bruce I know what you're saying about CO2 vs. CO, should be an inverse relationship right? Been a while since I balanced an equation, but I still get the principle.. how can they both go down :confused:

nuclearlemon
03-02-2010, 04:58 PM
...then the gal comes in to say sorry folks, in all our imcompetence, we broke all the all wheel drive rollers. :rant::)

fixed it for ya;)

Corbet
03-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Maybe we should all chip in on a small lot in Weld county..

I know where there's a lot in Summit County for sale.:D

I finally get my chance on the rollers and it was the most adventure I've ever experienced there. The roller girl runs through the test,

Did you say Roller Girl? If that is the case they can bring the testing station down here.

FJBRADY
03-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Did you say Roller Girl? If that is the case they can bring the testing station down here.

In my best Joey Lawrence "WO"

nakman
03-03-2010, 01:25 PM
So I got stickers today.. since I was 3 months late had to pay a 3 month penalty of $25/month.. so $177 was my total bill for registration. The only good part of the late fee is my new renewal month is now March, not November.. so I do get a full year starting now. Had they back dated this to November and still stuck me with a fee I'd have been a little torqued off.

corsair23
03-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Ouch :eek:

Rogue Leader
03-03-2010, 03:59 PM
3 months is the cutoff. When I registered back in Jan the plates were a year and a half old but the DMV said that 3 months is the max they'll charge

corsair23
03-03-2010, 04:03 PM
3 months is the cutoff. When I registered back in Jan the plates were a year and a half old but the DMV said that 3 months is the max they'll charge

Does that hold true for both the "penalty" and taxes? I thought I read somwhere where the penalty is capped but that the taxes are not :confused:

Rogue Leader
03-03-2010, 04:40 PM
I paid the same as nakman, 177 but my car was unregistered for a year and a half. Stupid thing is, I'm going to reregister in AK in abut a month.

nuclearlemon
05-15-2010, 12:54 PM
ok, since a lot of people have posted their "results" here, here are mine.

in 2007, i had a seriously beat up rig that the emissions had been pulled off of. i did the following things before testing it in 2008.
new vsv, cleaned egr mod filter, caps, plugs, rotor, cap, oil and air filters, new oil, 2 cans of heat and welded in ONE magnaflow aftermarket cat. p.o. had the original first cat cut out and went from the 2 1/2 head pipe to 2" that went down, sideways and up over the frame, then back all within a six inch stretch.

the first page is my results then

since then, i've put around 12k miles on it, i removed the p.o. section of exhaust and put in flex for now (which does leak), replaced injectors (had issues), replaced fuel filter, replaced fuel sock, replaced air filter, cleaned out the tube through the intake manifold for the egr. two days ago, i put seafoam in both the fuel tank and engine and ran about 150 miles (til tank was low). filled with 91 octane, changed oil and oil filter...here are todays poor results. same station as last time. i did notice a fail on the inspection...they must've figured out it takes two cats. hard to see the hc...1.2177 and the limits are 2.0

nuclearlemon
05-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Try 2

nuclearlemon
05-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Passed! I added second cat to pass visual, dumped 2 bottles of heet in. So the only fail I've had in 20+ years of emissions was without heet

hc .6705
co 1.9567
n0x 3.4611

Bikeman
05-21-2010, 07:31 PM
Good to know. Will try that this fall.

Romer
07-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Since we are documenting Emissions results

Took Sarah's 80 for testing yesterday. First place the all 4 wd bay was broken

Second place off of Colorado and County line rd had a short line

Passed with flying colors

Last year, did a full tune up wires and everything

Prior to the test, I added 2 bottles of heat/fuel injector cleaner and filled it up with Premium. Drove around for about 20 miles first. I also had a new gas cap in the bag in case it failed, it didn't

pmccumber
07-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Alright, I'll add mine. I did do two bottles of the Lucas Full System Cleaner that Nakman used. It did better than it did two years ago.

nakman
08-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Paul did you do two bottles at once? or one tank after another... congrats on passing!!

Uncle Ben
08-01-2010, 10:09 AM
I just got my renewal card......"no emissions required!" Bru ya! :woot::woot::cheer::bowdown::kevin::bowdown::zilla:

pmccumber
08-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Paul did you do two bottles at once? or one tank after another... congrats on passing!!

One tank after another. I went back and looked at the history of the vehicle and it had been steadily deteriorating. Maybe I'm just naive but I think a complete tuneup and this Lucas stuff really did make a difference.

Romer
10-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Had my emissions done today. Thankfully the manager measured the tires rather than just looking at the size. Just under 34"

Less than half a tank so I only put in one bottle of heet before driving there

Romer
10-01-2010, 05:48 PM
just noticed that the limits on my sheet are tighter than those on Paul's sheet. Interesting

Bikeman
10-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Good show. I have mine this month as soon as the notice comes. Running premium right now with 2 bottles of heet.

Bikeman
10-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Just went and passed. Good thing I brought the new gas cap with me, since it first failed with the existing one which I'm sure was fine:rolleyes:. I think it barely passed from the #'s. My scanner is packed up.

HC 0.4103, limit=1.20
CO 4.7691, limit=15
CO2 749.6208
NOX 2.2276, limit=3.0

Looks like much higher than everyone else's figures. At least I don't have to do anything drastic for 2 years like cats an such. They are the originals.

I ran a full tank of premium with 2 bottles of Heet per Ige:D.

For reference, I swapped on the 285's from Blacky. Fun on the highway with 5.29's:rolleyes:.

subzali
12-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Dad's '96 turbo 80 failed emissions for the 1st time since he's owned it, due to his cat being wiped out. Turns out it has only had 1 cat on it all this time as well, which they also caught for the first time this time and failed the visual. He took it to Bud's a couple days ago and got it back yesterday to have two new cats added to his 3" mandrel bent exhaust in place of the 1 bad cat. His check engine light is also on with the EGR code (not sure what the code is), which apparently cooks cats, so he'll have to get his EGR system figured out pretty soon too.

EDIT: it passed emissions today too, so all is well for now :thumb:

pmccumber
12-29-2010, 07:04 PM
just noticed that the limits on my sheet are tighter than those on Paul's sheet. Interesting

Yours is two years newer; I know, makes no sense since what they are measuring is exactly the same.

Nemo
01-13-2011, 05:41 PM
My Turn.

I Failed as well. I guess I will join the club in the posting.

My readings were.
HC - 0.4975 with limits of 1.2000 PASS
CO - 26.9328 with limits of 15.0000 FAIL
CO2 - 695.3877
NOx - 0.2434 with limits of 3.0000

Gas Cap PASS

I went ahead and have ordered New O2 Sensors, Spark Plugs (wires were replaced earlier 2010 with plugs but Alaska trip happened), Air Filter (could be part of the issue), rotor.

I will be putting in some gas treatment (heet) prior to going back as well.

Thanks to Kevin for loaning me the Emission tires. :beer:

Get my parts on Monday and will be passing on Tuesday I hope.

SteveH
01-14-2011, 09:37 AM
You can always put in E-85 instead of Heet. My brother put a ton of it in his 1994 '80 (in Arvada) to get it to pass - like several gallons in a tank that only had a 5-7 gallons of gas in it. After the test, he filled it with regular gas and burned it quickly. He had high CO, I think.

He also now keeps a brand new, spare gas cap on hand only for e-tests, since his truck seems to repeatedly fail their 'gas cap' check.

Nemo
01-19-2011, 04:57 PM
Just passed the emissions today with Flying Colors. Even better than when I had the truck new from California.

Replaced O2 Sensors, Spark Plugs, Air Filter, and Rotor.

My good readings....
HC - 0.2567
CO - 4.0977
NOx - 1.1060

Anyone care to guess which one probably had the most impact. I for one think I could have got by with an Air Filter and putting Air in the tires :D I didn't think to do that when I borrowed Kevin's tires. They were at 15psi give or take :D

So now I should be good until the CATS fall off.....

Kevin, If you see this as I will PM you as well I am good to go and will take the tires off once the snow stops coming down.

BTW. Michelins are much slicker in ICE than my KM2's. So my take is KM2's are better than the stock tires by far.

Uncle Ben
01-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Just passed the emissions today with Flying Colors. Even better than when I had the truck new from California.

Replaced O2 Sensors, Spark Plugs, Air Filter, and Rotor.

My good readings....
HC - 0.2567
CO - 4.0977
NOx - 1.1060

Anyone care to guess which one probably had the most impact. I for one think I could have got by with an Air Filter and putting Air in the tires :D I didn't think to do that when I borrowed Kevin's tires. They were at 15psi give or take :D

So now I should be good until the CATS fall off.....

Kevin, If you see this as I will PM you as well I am good to go and will take the tires off once the snow stops coming down.

BTW. Michelins are much slicker in ICE than my KM2's. So my take is KM2's are better than the stock tires by far.

Congrats on the pass!

thelal
01-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Tim
On my older (96) truck my freq. P401's where nearly always exhaust hole related. What was strange that certain places driving triggered it (Berthoud) due to bump in road etc..
Plugging the holes fixed it 4 awhile (too cheap to replace..)

Brendan

leiniesred
01-25-2011, 03:38 PM
some more e-test data for the thread.

1989 V6 4runner. 280,000 miles. original catalytic converter. Original o2 sensor. Still passes smog test.
smog test results for 2009 and 20011

2009 smog test: 2010 smog test: Limits:
Hydrocarbons: .4478 .4237 3
Carbon Monoxide: 7.2549 6.8810 25
NOx: .7638 .5586 5

subzali
01-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Looks like the Runner is getting better every year! :thumb:

Jacket
01-25-2011, 04:53 PM
:bowdown: 3.0 V6 ;)

Uncle Ben
01-25-2011, 05:07 PM
:bowdown: 3.0 V6 ;)

X2! :lmao::rolleyes:

thelal
05-20-2011, 03:10 PM
I just passed my emissions on the 3rd go - 1997 80 with 230K in Boulder Co.. Running 265s, roof-rack, winch, front/rear bumpers, sliders.

Heres the pass results and comparisons for each try and last time passed (2yrs ago when truck purchased and new O2 sensors + 'special' "get-it-to-pass-stuff")

Pass, Fail, Fail, Pass, LIMIT
3rd, 2nd, 1st, 2 yrs,
HC .31, .28, .46, .19, 1.2
CO 6.56, 8.4, 13.7, 2.94, 15
CO2 831, 845, 803, 789, n/a
NoX 2.46, 3.17, 3.48, 2.3 , 3.0

To pass I dropped the timing to -3-0 (was 9-12) degrees, ran 3 gal E85 (had approx 5 gal of prem. gas '91 in there), ran some SeaFoam day before (1/3 thru PCV and rest in tank; some smoke but not that much), ran Lucas Fuel Cleaner some days before. Also ran car for an hr beforehand and was cool/wet driving. Had patched a small hole in Y section of downpipe.

On 1st Fail I had just regular gas, had run some fuel injector cleaner thru and did a good run (1hr) beforehand.

On 2nd Fail I had 3g prem. gas, dropped timing to 0-3 degrees, good run beforehand (1hr).

Rotor/distributor recently new, due an oil change, air filter not new but air-pressured clean, sparks recently new.

Happy :) not to have to go check/purchase new cats or spend more $

Hope that helps someone.

Brendan
in Longmont

LARGEONE
05-23-2011, 09:47 PM
As many of you know...I'm not on the forum often any more. The little guy has taken over my life!!! (in a great way!)

I was cleaning up in the garage today and I found two O2 sensors from my '95 LC. When I changed them out, my cruiser did not have the check engine light on so I'm fairly certain these are still good. I passed emissions no problem with these sensor in about a year ago. I thought (mistakenly) that I might get better gas mileage if I put brand new ones in and I didn't know how old these were since I bought the truck used a year or so earlier.

Anyway, I thought these could be used for someone trying to diagnose their check engine issues. Maybe these could be used like other parts in the club that are free for people to borrow and pass along to others as people need to see whether their O2 sensor are the issue. So, if you need to try another set of O2 sensors to diagnose a code issue, PM me and you are welcome to them. You may have to re-use one of your gaskets as I think I only have one gasket for the pair of them. In addition, the nuts are mostly toast as I had to grind the sides of them to get a wrench to hold on them. These are Toyota O2s. Rather than spend $300 to see if the O2s are your issue, just bolt these bad boys on and try it out.

Paul

ToddD
09-29-2011, 09:46 PM
Paul... you don't happen to still have those O2 sensors sitting around, do ya?

I'm trying to pass emissions and have failed twice.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/520570-failed-emissions-test.html

Inukshuk
04-10-2012, 03:15 PM
My catalytic converter temperatures (1993) were 430 +/- 10 inlet and 530 +/- 10 outlet. I had just come off 15 minutes on I-70. 65 degree day, three blocks of local driving, shut it off for three or four minutes and then turned it back on and tested while idling, with AC on for some extra RPMs.

A Yahoo page said 100 degree rise is good. This in-depth paper says 200 - http://www.bearriverconverters.com/data/CatOpp.pdf This, from Toyota, wants 550 minimum for efficiency operation, with 750 as ideal - http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h64.pdf Another interesting read - http://www.catalyticconverter.org/news/news_page.cfm?Key=catalytic_converter-&News=216

New O2 Sensors are on their way and I will retest emissions after that.

For future readers this is on a 1993 FZJ80 with a freshly rebuilt (all but the bottom end) engine. All readings but NOx are great. EGR system has been tested. VSV has been tested. Cats and O2 sensors came off a 170,000 mile 1994 truck.

rover67
04-10-2012, 05:06 PM
those are the numbers I was getting on my 60 with 70k mile cats behind the v8. 450 or so to 550 or so...

I think they were working OKm but the folks at the emissions place convinced me to put new ones on. they were only 40 bucks each for me so I went for it. not suggesting the same for you.

Inukshuk
04-10-2012, 07:39 PM
those are the numbers I was getting on my 60 with 70k mile cats behind the v8. 450 or so to 550 or so...

I think they were working OKm but the folks at the emissions place convinced me to put new ones on. they were only 40 bucks each for me so I went for it. not suggesting the same for you.

Cool to hear. Did your new cats do the trick?

I can get the Bosal cats for about $120 each and that will be what I do if the O2 sensors alone don't fix me.

subzali
04-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Dan, did I hear something at the meeting about your cats being in parallel and not in series?

Inukshuk
04-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Dan, did I hear something at the meeting about your cats being in parallel and not in series?

Yes they are. The exhaust merges after the cats. Both O2 sensors are in front.

Inukshuk
04-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Passed Emissions!!

__________Test 1____Test 2_______Test 3
HC_______0.346______0.1889______0.3118
CO_______3.984______4.000_______9.649
CO2______867.6______706.0_______766.5
Nox______9.354______9.256_______3.024

Test 1: no special prep, short wait, idled at 2,000RPM
Test 2: tank premium, two cans red HEET, tires at 50PSI, well warmed up, short wait, idled at 2,000RPM
Test 3: NEW O2 Sensors, tank premium, tires at 50PSI, no HEET, 15 minute wait, idled at 3,000RPM

Tires were 285/75R16 Nitto Terra Graplers.

So, HEET brings down HC and CO2, seems to not affect CO or NOx, and bad O2 sensors affect NOx. As noted before, catalytic converters measured a 100 degree temperature rise so between that and this test they seem to be working fine.

Since I could not find it posted anywhere (here or MUD) ill searchably write bad O2 sensors cause high NOx readings. Lower NOx by getting new O2 sensors. I used Toyota OEM oxygen sensors.

Than you again Robbie for suggesting I test after replacing the O2 sensors and before changing catalytic converters. Heated 4-wire O2 Sensors as we have in our cruisers should have a 60,000 - 100,000 mile life.

nuclearlemon
05-13-2012, 03:24 PM
crap...that time again.
anyone passed with massive amounts of leaks? i've got at least three exhaust leaks before you even hit the second cat at the muffler:(

wesintl
05-13-2012, 05:35 PM
I'm going to start putting a reminder on my calendar to drive past the emission stations a month before hand so I don't need to go in.

I have 2 good cats you can weld in if needed.

nuclearlemon
05-13-2012, 06:05 PM
thanks wes, but cats arent' the problem (at least i don't think so ;) ). i've got one blow throw on the pipe where the front o2 sensor is and a couple leaks on the flex that i put in when i had to jerry rig a second cat last time. stupid emissions

Inukshuk
05-13-2012, 08:00 PM
I have an extra set of 93-94 downpipes. One has a small hole that would be an easy weld patch. But if you have a front O2 sensor I think your rig is newer.

powderpig
05-13-2012, 09:07 PM
I had a neighbor that passed with flying colors and has a big hole before the cat and muffler. No check engine light on, But the holes were after the O2 sensor. Early nissan pick up that is just beat to death. He called me up to brag and we both laughed.

nuclearlemon
05-19-2012, 09:29 AM
no mention of the three exhaust leaks but failed on nox. gas cap too, but i was prepared for that and have a new oem cap on the seat. 02 sensors and cats are all within five years. only one cat is that old, the other is two years old (last time i had to test) and sensors are about 4 and 2 years old. less than fifty thousand miles on any one componant. cats are aftermarket magnaflows, sensors are oem. cats only show about 20 degrees difference from in to out. 377 range and 395+ range. :( guess it's cat time again

Jacket
06-25-2012, 06:29 PM
Can't beat this! My 80 passed via roadside emissions this year. :thumb:

subzali
07-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Went down on Sunday to help my dad with some stuff. His driver's side mirror was broken, so I got that replaced with one off of the 'Mud classifieds. The heater fan had also ingested some mice, so had to get that cleaned out. He also said the CEL has been on for a while, so I tried to drive it around to get it to blow the code (had just reconnected the battery). Never blew the code, but he texted me last night and said the code is P0401. He's also getting a lot of fuel tank pressure, which I think is charcoal canister-related. Oh joy.

coax
07-03-2012, 10:23 AM
I've often wondered if the EGR VSV valve going bad or not functioning properly can cause the fuel vapor from the tank not to be pulled out of the charcoal canister into the intake. Then the charcoal canister becomes super saturated and we end up with problems 200k miles later. I think the 401 code is insufficent flow, meaning the valve won't open and you won't get vacuum? And by extension no vacuum to vent the CC. I'm not familiar enough with the system but maybe others can chime in?

All I know is that my fuel venting problem was reduced (not eliminated) when Robbie fixed my EGR VSV issue. I suspect I'll need to replace the CC at some point as well. :rant: Don't forget to check the passageway through the intake for clogging. :)

subzali
07-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Yep, I immediately thought the same thing. I have not done any research on how the system works though.

nakman
07-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Look back to post #26 in this thread.. ;)

subzali
07-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Look back to post #26 in this thread.. ;)

Yeah I don't think that's an option because my dad just spent beaucoup $$ for new exhaust and cats that burned out because he had a CEL on. I think he'd rather get the problem fixed.

corsair23
07-03-2012, 12:11 PM
When the VSV on the 80 went south, I didn't want to deal with it so I took the 80 to Ben :D

He has tricks to getting to stuff in impossible locations, like the VSV, without dismantling 1/2 of the engine. Might be worth a PM to him to learn the trick if you are planning to tackle this on your own like I imagine you are. As I recall it had to do with LONG ratchet extensions coming up from below but beyond that I was just happy with the cost and that it was fixed...

rover67
07-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Cats burned out because it had a CEL?

Was it running super rich or something?

subzali
07-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Looks like the upper plenum brace gets removed and from reading on MUD some long ratchet extensions will get you there from underneath. Sounds like the VSV can be checked pretty easily per the FSM. Need to check for dry/rotting vacuum hoses. Not sure what/where the vacuum modulator is, maybe I'll find a picture of it or figure it out once I'm under there.

Oh, this thread has good pics of how to reach the VSV (and shows the long extension):
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/203948-replacement-vsv-spanish.html

Maybe I should move it to the fender like this guy:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/111750-alternate-egr-tests-p0401.html#post3793644

subzali
07-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Cats burned out because it had a CEL?

Was it running super rich or something?

Not really sure now, it's been a couple years...I thought it was more recent than that, boy time sure does fly fast...

corsair23
07-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Looks pretty straightforward but typical PITA Toyota :hill:

I've taken the line over the last few years that if I'm likely to have to repeat the "fix" down the road then I'll tackle and learn how to do it - like the front axle service. If it is something that is likely to be a one time deal then I'd rather let Ben do it, like the VSV. I figured the first one made it 14 years and 100K+ miles so it won't be something I'll have to ever have done again...

Inukshuk
07-03-2012, 10:07 PM
tricks to getting to stuff in impossible locations, like the VSV, without dismantling 1/2 of the engine. ... As I recall it had to do with LONG ratchet extensions coming up from below

from reading on MUD some long ratchet extensions will get you there from underneath. Sounds like the VSV can be checked pretty easily per the FSM.

Yes and yes.

See also ":robbie:" He checked and verified good VSV in mine in short order.

corsair23
02-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Took the LX in for its e-test today...Lucked out and there was only 1 vehicle in the AWD line in front of me...About 10 vehicles 15 minutes later :rolleyes:

Based on Nemo's experience with 315 Toyos and my own measurements I took it down without swapping to the 285s. All was good till the truck started wandering on the high speed part and the young guy "driving" started to freak out and stopped the test. I thought I was done for :o - In hops the "pro" and off he goes...1/2 way through the second time he stops and I look at the monitor thinking crap. Nope, the LX passed the "fast test"...The pro gave me the thumbs up so the only thing stopping me would be the gas cap test but even that was a success! I could start breathing easier...

Given that just two weeks ago I did a home fix on my exhaust leak at the y-pipe and the tighter limits I wasn't real confident in passing. I'm good for another couple years I guess :thumb:

Here are my results. Pretty dang good for a 16yo rig! Funny how some readings are higher/lower than what I got in 2007 & 2009. Not sure where my 2011 results are.

Squishy!
02-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Nice! Feels good knowing your rigs been well taken care of too. :thumb:

When I took my 3.4 swapped truck in the guy was blown away. I guess he's seen a lot of the old 3.0 truck FAIL.

subzali
10-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Dad's '96 turbo 80 failed emissions for the 1st time since he's owned it, due to his cat being wiped out. Turns out it has only had 1 cat on it all this time as well, which they also caught for the first time this time and failed the visual. He took it to Bud's a couple days ago and got it back yesterday to have two new cats added to his 3" mandrel bent exhaust in place of the 1 bad cat. His check engine light is also on with the EGR code (not sure what the code is), which apparently cooks cats, so he'll have to get his EGR system figured out pretty soon too.

EDIT: it passed emissions today too, so all is well for now :thumb:

Went down on Sunday to help my dad with some stuff. His driver's side mirror was broken, so I got that replaced with one off of the 'Mud classifieds. The heater fan had also ingested some mice, so had to get that cleaned out. He also said the CEL has been on for a while, so I tried to drive it around to get it to blow the code (had just reconnected the battery). Never blew the code, but he texted me last night and said the code is P0401. He's also getting a lot of fuel tank pressure, which I think is charcoal canister-related. Oh joy.

Well soon turned out to be 3 years later, but I think the P0401 is fixed. Pulled the VSV out yesterday, tested bad, got a new one from Groove, in and drove today. Have to adjust the throttle cables a tad still, but no code yet. Here's crossing my fingers. Funny how something so small seems like a big deal to fix. Modulator tested fine, no blocked passageways, just the VSV. Bugger of it was I tried getting to it from the fender side through the small hole in the intake (after taking the brace out of the way), but my hands are big enough that that wasn't going well. So I got the throttle body off in just a few minutes and had easier access to the VSV from there. The electrical connector was a super PITA to get off, but finally it let go. On to something else...forgot about the fuel tank pressure issue until just now :rolleyes:

Jacket
10-23-2013, 04:38 PM
That VSV ain't cheap either....

subzali
10-24-2013, 08:06 AM
Right, it's over $100. But not having a CEL for the past 2 days? Priceless? :hill:

Squishy!
10-24-2013, 09:07 AM
My 3.4 just recently threw a knock sensor malfunction code. Wires are good and each sensor is $211.00 :eek: :rant: so it could be worse ya know. :D

DHwreckage
04-03-2014, 04:04 PM
thought i would add to this as well i've failed emissions the past 3 times ive gone, had 401 code to i replaced my VSV and all is good, had a 420 code so i replaced the O2's and now more 420 code. ive used seafoam in the gas tank but my NOx just wont go down. first test was 4.8 or so second was 4.6 and now im at 4.1 with the 3 gpm limit. next step is replace the cats...womp womp :rolleyes:

Jacket
08-07-2014, 03:31 PM
:cheer: 91 octane and some Heet for good measure.

simps80
08-07-2014, 04:07 PM
Nice!!
Congrats!

Shark Bait
08-20-2014, 10:20 AM
Air filter, cap & rotor, plugs, wires, 2 bottles of Heet and about 10 gallons of 91 octane. Woo hoo!!