PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket knee update

RockRunner
09-26-2009, 03:39 PM
I was send home Thursday afternoon once I was able to lift and hold my leg up for three five second sets. Easy you think but I am Sure Bill, myself and some other knee replacement/repair people would argue differently.

During my hospital stay they had a terrible time adjusting my pain melds and I spend most of my time in pain, including night time. I had Sharon bring in some of 12 hour stuff to help and I was able to get it covered. Glad I went to one of those nice hospitals :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

On the way home all went well and and got into my OWN bed after 5 days, :D ,

I am home now and have taken my pain management in my own hands. Thursday night and Friday day were pretty bad, I did not read two of the bottles of correctly under-medicated myself. I now have a pretty constant buzz :(

I'll post some pics up later

Corbet
09-26-2009, 06:26 PM
I completely understand. I could not be released after my ACL reconstruction until I could lift my leg off the bed. Sounds easy, but it was one of the hardest things I have had to do in my life.

Know the pain med thing too :rolleyes:

Happy to hear things are going better now :cheers:

rover67
09-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Glad to hear you are back at home now, that's a great step. Hopefully the pain eases off :(

jettaglxdriver
09-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Glad you are home and on the way to recovery.

I had a back surgery a few years ago and in order to go home I had to get up out of the bed and then go up and down a flight of stairs. It took two people really assisting me to help me stand up that fist time. Next thing you know you will be running around.

nakman
09-26-2009, 11:05 PM
great progress, Tom. :beer: here's a video for you, pretty soon you'll be running and jumping just like this guy... http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3jlb1_six-million-dollar-man-steves-legs_shortfilms

edit: and kicking!

RockRunner
09-27-2009, 09:45 AM
great progress, Tom. :beer: here's a video for you, pretty soon you'll be running and jumping just like this guy... http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3jlb1_six-million-dollar-man-steves-legs_shortfilms

Dude, I nearly threw up :p: That slow motion part lasted forever and ever. And To think that I had watched that show too.

Thanks for the all the thoughts and prayers I have needed them, like Corbet said just lifting your leg of the bed is a struggle and hurts like hell.

Without pain meds this would kill you

Uncle Ben
09-27-2009, 09:51 AM

OMG.....I can't believe I used to watch that show! :o

Red_Chili
09-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Doc says no running for me, even now!
The first day antelope hunting, my knee was certainly talking to me. Second and third, it was fine. But since, it's been a bit of a struggle.

Not bad if I keep up on my minimal (at this point) meds though. Except... I am trying like the dickens to get off of them. I have heard that if you are in pain, your body will not develop a dependence on them. That does not match my experience.

The withdrawal portion SUCKS Tom - take only what you absolutely need in order to do physical therapy, and get off them ASAP.

I really liked the folks at PTIS (?IIRC) on Hampden and Pearl for phys therapy BTW. He was not into pain - he would make sure he stretched out my knee before doing any pushing of the limits.

bh4rnnr
09-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Glad to here your out of the hospital Tom, hopefully the pain will start to loosen after a few days.

Here's a little something (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGF_R8wtgvA) to help get those legs grooving again, mind the cheasy acting....

:beer::beer:

RockRunner
09-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Doc says no running for me, even now!
The first day antelope hunting, my knee was certainly talking to me. Second and third, it was fine. But since, it's been a bit of a struggle.

Not bad if I keep up on my minimal (at this point) meds though. Except... I am trying like the dickens to get off of them. I have heard that if you are in pain, your body will not develop a dependence on them. That does not match my experience.

The withdrawal portion SUCKS Tom - take only what you absolutely need in order to do physical therapy, and get off them ASAP.

I really liked the folks at PTIS (?IIRC) on Hampden and Pearl for phys therapy BTW. He was not into pain - he would make sure he stretched out my knee before doing any pushing of the limits.

Thanks for the info Bill, I am working on my pain management. It will will take a while but I will figure it out. Nice thing is that I am taking as much now as I was before the surgery a few different doses but other than that OK

PT will be at home for first three weeks and then on the road. I really don't care about running but I am sure once I feel better I would want to run.

RockRunner
09-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Glad to here your out of the hospital Tom, hopefully the pain will start to loosen after a few days.

Here's a little something (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGF_R8wtgvA) to help get those legs grooving again, mind the cheasy acting....

:beer::beer:

Thanks Perry you were pretty close. I like a few of those songs on the soundtrack but the one I used to race that bumps to was one of the other ones. It would start slow and finish with a Long and strong jam.