PDA

View Full Version : 2009 40's Only Run

MDH33
09-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Come awn slackers......put up or shut up!

I just rolled in. I would guess everyone else should be getting home soon. :beer:

Old40Dog
09-26-2009, 09:39 PM
Ahhh! :cool: Classic 40's lined up and ready to go.....

...Later break time at Georgia Pass :thumb:

ttubb
09-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Just got in. Promised Ricardo I would post up to let him know I made it. Thanks again to all, especially Martin and Ricardo. Will post pics on the trip report later. Terry :beer:

timmbuck2
09-27-2009, 01:17 AM
I have just a few...was late and had to leave early...

RicardoJM
09-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Wow, what a fun day of FJ40 wheeling. There were 17 rigs on the run this year and very few problems on the run. The weather held out and last weeks snow gave the group some snow run action. We met in Conifer, aired down just outside of Jefferson and were soon on our way up Georgia Pass. Here is that pesky FJ40 paparazzi and the subject of the shutterbugs interest.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/200940sonly/w_fj40paparazzi.jpg

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/200940sonly/w_linedup1.jpg

The views up high beautiful. On the other side of the Continental Divide we found a nice spot for lunch. Charlie and Jake welcomed everyone into the lunch spot with snowballs. After lunch the group head up a muddy, slick, recently snowed on hill. At the top they were rewarded with great views and a cabin tour. The snow made for some tough going but the group would not be denied. There was strapping, tugging and the chains even came out.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/200940sonly/w_airdown.jpg

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/200940sonly/w_view1.jpg

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/200940sonly/w_view2.jpg

Soon the group was back down from the cabin hill and we split up into those heading home via I-70 and those heading home the scenic route over Boreas Pass. The drive over Boreas was a bit congested going up and very clear coming down.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/200940sonly/w_topofgeorgia.jpg

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/200940sonly/w_downgeorgia.jpg

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/200940sonly/w_turnleft.jpg

This was my first 40s only run and I had a blast. It was great to see Marco and Bruce looking like teenagers in Marco's new 40. Timm and Ty together in Timms' new 40.

The few problems that I am aware of were a busted vacuum fitting, broken fan belt and slipped fan belt. The group had sufficient resources to work through the problems and Rising Sun left no one behind.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/200940sonly/w_badbelt.jpg

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/200940sonly/w_beltrepair.jpg

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/200940sonly/w_vacuumrepair.jpg

We had a rig from Horsetooth Wheelers come up from Fort Collins, a rig from Colorado Springs and of course Terry made the drive up from Crested Butte. The Marmot looks great and shows no trace of the BOWAGW run carnage.

A super big thanks to Martin for coordinating this event and leading us through the day. Timztoy, thanks for your wrenching help on the trail. Justin, Dave and Terry for the fan belts. All in all it was a great event for the club and a real treat to be on the road with all the old iron.

Mendocino
09-27-2009, 09:12 AM
The most notable quote of the day was from Bruce (60Wag), who upon arriving at the lunch location exclaimed: "FJ40s are Fun!" with a great deal of glee.:D

Jacket
09-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Very fun trip - I enjoyed all the stares we got as a group throughout the day. The group of old rusty 40's is definitely a sight to see.

Thanks Martin for organizing and leading the day.:cheers:

FJBRADY
09-27-2009, 09:31 AM
1) Marmot's like snow
2) Martin blazing the trail with chains
3) This was my favorite part of the day watching Marco break trail like he stole his own 40.
4) Picture of the first few of us by the cabin
5) Picture of the first few 40's at the top

FJBRADY
09-27-2009, 09:35 AM
1) Hulk
2) Michele, I and our trusty steed
3) Breck ski runs

jettaglxdriver
09-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Great pics. Wish I had a 40.

subzali
09-27-2009, 10:18 AM
what a 40s Only Run to miss! :(

Wish I didn't have jet lag and a whole host of post-honeymoon duties to attend to right away! That looks like SO MUCH FUN!

So you guys went up Georgia Pass, down to Breck, then back over Boreas Pass? Where did you hit the snow and was it tough to break through it?

AFA FJ40
09-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Guys...
It was great fun!!! I really enjoyed the day, in the first 2 minutes of getting to the parking lot, I already was fixing up my FJ...(carb hose in the wrong spot) fixed by the suggestion of "RicardoJM"...after all the fun, it was a long drive back to the Springs, but very rewarding knowing the maiden run of my FJ was flawless...(except for the little tow before reaching the top of the pass)...guess that little joke I made a few posts ago about bringing my chains...was a bit ironic...So here is one of the pics for ya....

rover67
09-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Had a great time on my first 40 run! I'm soooo glad I got it :) I picked up Bruce here in Boulder at 7:15 yesterday morning and an hour or so later we rolled in to Conifer. The carb rebuild and rerouting of vacuum lines kept it running smoothly the whole way! I was pretty stoked!

It was great to see all of the trucks gathering there in conifer and I had a great opportinty to look at several later model trucks to look at windshield frames and front ends. (my camera was dead so I had to use Bruce's to take pics) Treeroot... you were absolutely correct... the differences you spoke of were definitely evident. Auri and Ron with their blue '82 from Colo Springs with the factory hard top parked next to me so that was neat... they wouldn't give in to my pleas to trade all of my early model parts for their '82 stuff.

After chit chatting for a little while we made our way up to the air down spot. Timm caught up in his freshly running 40 soon after we all arrived. It was great to see him make it since he worked so hard to get the truck running over the past few weeks.

I threw the keys to Bruce and we all took off up to Georga pass. With a brief stop at the top, we made our way down to Tider Road. The 40 continued to do well, and my confidence was building. Bruce had a blast driving and I had an equally fun time riding along. The trail headed up and over Georga pass was not too bad with some slush only in a few spots. Enough slippery to make it a little bit interesting though.

Once down at Tiger Road, we headed up the North Fork to try and make a loop out of it with the Middle Fork. Heading up the North fork we all had to pull over for a bit to let some camper trailers by, when we did that Timm's 40 didn't want to start back up again. after checking it out fussing with it for a bit it fired right back up. Timm, Ty, and friend peeled off there and headed back while we continued on the trail to eat lunch at the creek crossing.

After the creek crossing the trail started to get a bit snowier and added to the challenge of making up the steeper trail. Bruce continued to drive and we slowly crawled up to just over tree line where we all got out to watch Martin who was up in front start to break trail through a deeper section of snow. I eagerly awaited our turn, and when we made it to the intersection of the turn off to the top of Wise Mountain I jumped at the chance to break the trail towards the cabin. With Steve and Michele laughing behind me I slowly broke the trail reluctant to give up! It only took a little bit of motivation from Michele to keep me at it and soon we made it to the cabin which was ultimately our turn around spot. I was really really happy that the truck did so well since I kinda beat on it making my way through the snow. Steve, you guys will have to wait your turn for the real snow on the real snow run :)

Anyways, at the top we all hung out and got to watch a few folks make it all the way to the top, Justin made it up in his black 40 with the V8 and no fan/water pump belt. It was loose and I guess slung off... anyways the guage was at 300 when he peeked in there so we quickly threw the belt back on and fired it up to let itself cool off.

We all decided to make our way back down and gathered back at the lunch spot to laugh and share stories from what had turned out to be a great day already. Lots of smiles and laughs which were great to see :)

After socializing for a bit we headed back down to tiger road where the group split up. some folks headed to I-70, some back towards Fairplay, and some over Boreas Pass. Bruce and I were gonna head over Boreas, but decided to just take 70 home since we were both kinda done. Quoting Bruce "That steering wheel is not near as nice as the leather wrapped one in the 80!". I think power steereing just got higher on the list...

Anyways, we chatted the whole way back about how fun it was to the point that my voice got hoarse.

Thanks everybody for coming, and thanks Martin for putting it together! I had a great time, and it was great to see all the trucks together!

MDH33
09-27-2009, 10:45 AM
I don't have any pics, but luckily I had Perry riding shotgun most of the day, so hopefully he'll share a few.

Thanks to everyone for coming out. We had a great crew. I apologize I didn't get a chance to talk with everyone, it was a big group and I was feeling pretty overwhelmed leading a big group on a trail I have never run myself. My pre-run was denied by the weather last week.

I would like to get everyones name and rig info, if possible for a Toyota Trails article.

I think everyone showed up except for Zepp and Cardinal. What happened to you guys?

The plan was to go up and over Georgia Pass, down the South Fork, then loop the North and Middle Fork, back down to Breck via Tiger Rd, then over Boreas Pass back to 285. Well, we hit snow heading down the North Fork trail and only made it as far as Wise Mtn. The snow was very wet and heavy and seemed to have filled in the trail even though it was mostly melted off everywhere else. The trail up near Wise Mtn had a couple of feet of cement-like snow which I did my best busting through so that the group could continue up and get turned around. Some of us had fun busting the drifts and the views were great up top. I was really bummed that the whole crew didn't make it up to the top and that we were denied the loop. But it was still a fun day.

The only mechanical issues were Timm's new 40 not starting once (I didn't even get a chance to check out your new rig!), Justin's threw a belt and overheated, Dave's lost vacuum to his TC so he had no 4wd temporarily, and Ken's smog pump seized. Everything was fixed on trail with the help and knowledge of those in attendance. It wouldn't be a 40's Run without some wrenching. :)

Next year I'll plan on doing the run a little earlier to avoid the snow and I'll make sure to do a trail I've pre-run. ;)

AFA FJ40
09-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Heres another...

066wally
09-27-2009, 11:58 AM
I don't know about the rest of the group but I slept HARD last night, I was beat.
Martin, thanks for organizing the run and being a first rate tour guide. This trip was just what I needed to get my 40 back on and off road again.
It was great to meet everyone and see the variety in their rigs, from bone stock to over the top. Seeing them all brought back many of my old 40 memories, even back to my Dad's 40 that he bought new in 71 from Burt Toyota.
Thanks again for the opportunity to join in the fun, I had an absolute blast. I think we all did.
Steve

FJBRADY
09-27-2009, 01:37 PM
With Steve and Michele laughing behind me I slowly broke the trail reluctant to give up! It only took a little bit of motivation from Michele to keep me at it and soon we made it to the cabin which was ultimately our turn around spot. I was really really happy that the truck did so well since I kinda beat on it making my way through the snow. Steve, you guys will have to wait your turn for the real snow on the real snow run :)

Marco,

The whole time Michele was motivational speaking via CB I was thinking of the following Ludacris song, PG version of coarse!

"Move, get out the way
Get out the way, get out the way
Move, get out the way
Get out the way, get out the way"

Patience is a virtue, just one I do not possess.

Great wheeling with you as always....missed Allison and Mead though!

FJBRADY
09-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Heres another...

Ron,

Your camera takes the best pictures!

Looks like Ken will be on another TT cover :thumb:

toplessfj
09-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Hey guys Paul & I wanted to thank you again for an excellent run and a great day. It was great seeing that many 40's all at one time!

Uncle Ben
09-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Ron,

Your camera takes the best pictures!

Looks like Ken will be on another TT cover :thumb:

Not if he shows up on another public web page! Todd will not use pictures already posted to the public web!

FJBRADY
09-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Not if he shows up on another public web page! Todd will not use pictures already posted to the public web!

Thanks for the heads up on the photos...I did not know there was a photo Gestapo!

AFA FJ40
09-27-2009, 04:34 PM
No worries, I have only posted the 40's only run here I have lots of pictures, we can use ones that have not been used :).

Here are some more of the trip...:cheers: Rui

Uncle Ben
09-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Great report and incredible pictures!!!!! :greenwithenvy: :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::risingsun:

AFA FJ40
09-27-2009, 05:42 PM
I got a little scared when this bruiser showed up...."oh no there goes Tokyo...go go" ---> :zilla:

FJBRADY
09-27-2009, 05:45 PM
I got a little scared when this bruiser showed up...."oh no there goes Tokyo...go go" ---> :zilla:

That's funny....keep the pictures coming :thumb:

rover67
09-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Marco,

The whole time Michele was motivational speaking via CB I was thinking of the following Ludacris song, PG version of coarse!

"Move, get out the way
Get out the way, get out the way
Move, get out the way
Get out the way, get out the way"

Patience is a virtue, just one I do not possess.

Great wheeling with you as always....missed Allison and Mead though!

You woulda made it look too easy! :D

Hulk
09-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Some pictures.

Ricardo's new paint job, at the top of Georgia Pass.

Martin at the top of Wise Mountain.

Jake (L) and Charlie (R).

Loren coming up to the top of Wise Mountain.

Justin (?) and Loren.

Hulk
09-27-2009, 06:48 PM
More...

Hulk
09-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Last group.

Ken and Tim contemplate the fix for a seized smog pump.

Another shot at the top of Georgia Pass.

We stopped at the top of Boreas Pass on the way back to Hwy 285.

60wag
09-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Wow great pix. I was going to post some but what I have is poorer quality versions of what's already up. How do you get decent photo quality when you have to make it less than 150k? When I reduce the density, my pictures get blurry.

The 40s run was a hoot. I thought I understood the 40 thing before this run but I found out that I didn't. I am curious though, why were we the only truck with the top folded down? Does the novelty wear off that fast?

Thanks to Martin for making this a regular event. It really did have a different feel to it.

MDH33
09-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Wow great pix. I was going to post some but what I have is poorer quality versions of what's already up. How do you get decent photo quality when you have to make it less than 150k? When I reduce the density, my pictures get blurry.

The 40s run was a hoot. I thought I understood the 40 thing before this run but I found out that I didn't. I am curious though, why were we the only truck with the top folded down? Does the novelty wear off that fast?

Thanks to Martin for making this a regular event. It really did have a different feel to it.

Host them on a site like Smugmug or flikr and then you can post/link them into your posts at any resolution.:thumb:

If anyone has any good shots from the run they haven't posted yet, email them to me and I'll submit them with my Toyota Trails article.

:beer:

Hulk
09-27-2009, 09:17 PM
How do you get decent photo quality when you have to make it less than 150k? When I reduce the density, my pictures get blurry.

Use a program like Photoshop or GIMP to reduce the photos to a good pixel dimension. I made all of mine a maximum of 700 px wide or tall. Then save at a quality of 60 or 70 (Photoshop) using the "Save for web" feature (Photoshop).

rover67
09-27-2009, 09:30 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/default.mspx

or get the powertoy, then you can just right click on a bunch a pics and resize.. they stay looking pretty good. What are you using?

Caribou Sandstorm
09-27-2009, 09:46 PM
Great pics..Also jealous...the pic with Terry's 40 in front with snow and line up behind him, seems like it should be the December shot in the 2010 calendar....

TIMZTOY
09-27-2009, 10:56 PM
really wish I could have made it to the top. I feal like I really missed out on a great experance!

wesintl
09-27-2009, 11:36 PM
:drool: Awesome run. bummed my 40 missed it! Thanks for the Pics! I can't wait for next year.

subzali
09-28-2009, 02:57 PM

I use Irfanview and it works really well for resizing pics to 800x600 or so, which usually takes them down below 150k.

I would love to run my 40 with the windshield down most of the time on the trail! In the summer sometimes it can get too hot baking in the sun though, and in the winter time I really don't mind having heat! It only really becomes a problem if there's a lot of high-speed driving going on; above about 25mph the headwind becomes really stiff and it's hard to keep your head up (especially if you have a hat on!)

But at Chinaman's (1.5 years of ownership), CM '08 (3.5 years of ownership), and at other times I have run with the windshield down - love the view! It looked like most other people on the run wanted heat instead of novelty and had either hard or soft tops, neither of which you can (easily) use with the windshield down!

Time for you to get one Bruce! :D

Hulk
09-28-2009, 03:16 PM
My 40 gets a lot more use in the summer than in other seasons, specifically because of the top issue. My favorite way to run is with only the bikini top, so I can enjoy all the open air but keep my scalp from getting sun burnt.

Considering we got home at 9:15 p.m. from this run, with Charlie asleep across the back seat, having a full top with windows was essential.

I hardly ever fold down the windshield, however.

nakman
09-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Only thing cooler than seeing all these sweet 40's on the run is knowing how many other 40's are in the club and couldn't make it.. I can think of at least 10. what an awesome collection, put me down for an open seat next year, +1. :)

MDH33
09-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Next year I'm going to make sure to avoid the possibility of snow so we can all run sans-tops and doors if we so desire. That is half the fun of a 40. :cool:

Uncle Ben
09-28-2009, 03:42 PM
I love to wheel my 40 with the window down! Best trail A/C out there!

subzali
09-28-2009, 03:47 PM
40s that didn't make it from the club (that should really try to make it next year):
-Uncle Ben
-Treeroot
-Ige (with her 45 ;))
-Hatfield
-me
-TJ (he's 1/2 Rising Sun, 1/2 Horsetooth :D)
-Jerry from Boulder Toyota
-Zepp
-Cardinal
-Mike Coons
-Dean
-Dan Reinmuth ;)
-3 Wheel Ben (?) ;)
-??

timmbuck2
09-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Timztoy will have a 40 soon :)

Uncle Ben
09-28-2009, 03:52 PM
40s that didn't make it from the club (that should really try to make it next year):
-Uncle Ben
-Treeroot
-Ige (with her 45 ;))
-Hatfield
-me
-Zepp
-Cardinal
-Mike Coons
-Dean
-Dan Reinmuth ;)
-3 Wheel Ben (?) ;)
-??

I considered it strongly but too many people on the run for my liking and not ready to put the soft top on (lame excuse as I probably wouldn't have anyhow) Jerry's is nearly done so he will be flogging it soon.

subzali
09-28-2009, 03:54 PM
ooh what's Jerry doing?

Uncle Ben
09-28-2009, 03:56 PM
ooh what's Jerry doing?

Un olding!

MDH33
09-28-2009, 04:23 PM
-Uncle Ben
-Treeroot
-Ige (with her 45 ;))
-Hatfield
-me
-Zepp
-Cardinal
-Mike Coons
-Dean
-Dan Reinmuth ;)
-3 Wheel Ben (?) ;)
-??

Wes
Leif
Neil
Shorty
Drew
Jeff (Corsair23)
Jeff (Mendocino) (Driving his 40 ;) )
Max
Dave and Kim Brown
Randy
Steve H (frm the Springs)
Nick (from Nebraska)

I know there are more

subzali
09-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Un olding!

I don't know if that's possible on an FJ40, but I'll be anxious to see the end result! :guapo:

Wes
Leif
Neil
Shorty
Drew
Jeff (Corsair23)
Max
Dave and Kim Brown
Randy
Nick (from Nebraska)

I know there are more

Yep, big list!

Hulk
09-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Amazing list. I didn't realize we had so many 40s in the club. We usually see so few on the trail these days.

I tried to get my buddy Tim Noreen to bring his '69 FJ40 on the run too, but he was busy with other stuff on Saturday.

Uncle Ben
09-28-2009, 06:06 PM
Wes
Leif
Neil
Shorty
Drew
Jeff (Corsair23)
Max
Dave and Kim Brown
Randy
Nick (from Nebraska)

I know there are more

Ben L.
Ian Bevins
Jim B.
Millers I think still have at least on 4x series

CardinalFJ60
09-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Yup...next year for sure. I can still fry an egg on the floor above the muffler. I'll get'er fixed up soon enough.

As I was on a ladder fixing some fence work, I was daydreaming about all the fun you guys were having. (sigh) at least I finished that small project. (double sigh)

thanks for posting all the great pics! this club has some of the nicest 40's in the country. IMHO. maybe we should do a 40's calendar next year? seems like there are plenty of folks in the club who have nice cameras and know how to use them. hmmm...is there poser photo-shoot day on the horizon?

Perry!! let's put something together!!

bh4rnnr
09-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Yup...next year for sure. I can still fry an egg on the floor above the muffler. I'll get'er fixed up soon enough.

As I was on a ladder fixing some fence work, I was daydreaming about all the fun you guys were having. (sigh) at least I finished that small project. (double sigh)

thanks for posting all the great pics! this club has some of the nicest 40's in the country. IMHO. maybe we should do a 40's calendar next year? seems like there are plenty of folks in the club who have nice cameras and know how to use them. hmmm...is there poser photo-shoot day on the horizon?

Perry!! let's put something together!!

Was hoping you'd be along this year. With the new kiddo, working late and all those house projects. Was bummed when I didnt see ya in the parking lot...

I'm up for this Calendar idea Sean, lets talk it over a few more:beer::beer:

TIMZTOY
09-28-2009, 09:22 PM
attention everyone who was on the trail. I lost my very expensive streamlight flashlight. I last used it when dave's vackume line broke. On that steep hill going up from lunch. You can see me using it in that pic of me under the truck. I'm crossing my fingers that someone might have stop and picked it up. If no I'm affrade it's still on the trail, does any one live near that section of trail that could go up and check it out ? Or take me up? The flashlight is Bout 6-8" long, black, it has a SMD led super bright bulb, with a button on the tail cap and on the shaft.

subzali
09-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Ben L.
Ian Bevins
Jim B.
Millers I think still have at least on 4x series

Does anybody know this guy? Seemed like a nice guy on and Snow and Pizza Run 2007...

Oh and look at Tim's post above - don't want to step on him! Someone find his flashlight!

http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=3423&stc=1&d=1168228925

Uncle Ben
09-28-2009, 10:32 PM
attention everyone who was on the trail. I lost my very expensive streamlight flashlight. I last used it when dave's vackume line broke. On that steep hill going up from lunch. You can see me using it in that pic of me under the truck. I'm crossing my fingers that someone might have stop and picked it up. If no I'm affrade it's still on the trail, does any one live near that section of trail that could go up and check it out ? Or take me up? The flashlight is Bout 6-8" long, black, it has a SMD led super bright bulb, with a button on the tail cap and on the shaft.

There Tim....brought your post to the end again. Hopefully someone picked it up! ....

Jacket
09-28-2009, 11:28 PM

You might try to PM Old40Dog and see if he picked it up?

MDH33
09-29-2009, 09:03 AM
Tim, the section you likely lost it could probably be reached with 2WD from Breck. You would just have to walk that section of hill where Dave's 40 broke.

timmbuck2
09-29-2009, 10:09 AM
maybe we can head up there after work Thursday

TIMZTOY
09-29-2009, 11:31 AM
thanks guys. I alredy pm'd recarido and old40dog both haven't seen it. I don't really know the way. I couldd look it up. But won't be able to make it out till the weekend unless I go at night.