PDA

View Full Version : Body Mount Chop

Cruzrman
09-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Hello All, Anyone interested in helping with a body mount chop on my FJC? I have all the tools necessary except a welder. I live down south, but would be happy to come to your place. Let me know.
Thanks,
cruzrman

FJBRADY
09-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Hello All, Anyone interested in helping with a body mount chop on my FJC? I have all the tools necessary except a welder. I live down south, but would be happy to come to your place. Let me know.
Thanks,
cruzrman

Wish I could help....I too am looking at that mod in order to go to 35's once the 33's wear out.

Somebody help a brother out :thumb:

rover67
09-27-2009, 05:06 PM
what's involved? can you post a link?

mtnrunner
09-27-2009, 06:10 PM
I have a 220v Mig and could help you out during a work day. Can't do it weekends or eves though.

I'm just North of Castle Rock.

Mark

Jacket
09-27-2009, 07:11 PM
what's involved? can you post a link?

There's a body mount behind the front tires at the bottom of the fender well. The chop involves cutting a few inches of the frame section away, and then capping it with a piece of plate. Gives more room for the 35's...

Caribou Sandstorm
09-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Head over the to the FJCuiser forum and type in Body Mounty Chop in the search. You will get a multitude of examples, instructions, and photos..

Here you go....

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3217642

Basically you are cutting back the protruding body mount, that appears between the back of the front tire and the fender wall. This is only necessary if you are looking to run 35s, not necessary if you are running 33s stock or lifted.

Note.....Actually just re-read your post...Sounds like you are all ready to go..Post some pics when you are done..

TIMZTOY
09-27-2009, 09:41 PM
I'd love to help, but my welder is still in Missouri for the time being.
220v miller :weld:

Cruzrman
09-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Thanks for responding. I'm in larkspur, 10 miles south of Castle Rock. I'm not working, so any time that would be convenient for you will work for me. Call me at 303-681-0203 and we can discuss it.
Thanks Again,
Bob

mtnrunner
09-28-2009, 09:02 PM
I'll call you tomorrow.

Cruzrman
09-29-2009, 06:23 PM
The greatest of thanks to MTNRUNNER for helping me with my body mount chop. We're both out of work, so he donated his service for nothing. A lunch of his choice is in the works.By the way, he's a helluva fabricator, and I honestly believe that with the 3/16th plate we used that it's stronger than before. We came up with a slightly different way of performing the procedure that gives 1/2" to 3/4" more clearance then the round version that was posted up a while back. I'll try to post some photos tomorrow
Thanks again Mark.You're an ace!
cruzrman

rover67
09-29-2009, 10:13 PM
sweet!!

FJBRADY
09-30-2009, 07:23 AM
The greatest of thanks to MTNRUNNER for helping me with my body mount chop. We're both out of work, so he donated his service for nothing. A lunch of his choice is in the works.By the way, he's a helluva fabricator, and I honestly believe that with the 3/16th plate we used that it's stronger than before. We came up with a slightly different way of performing the procedure that gives 1/2" to 3/4" more clearance then the round version that was posted up a while back. I'll try to post some photos tomorrow
Thanks again Mark.You're an ace!
cruzrman

Happy it worked out :thumb:

If you are moving to 35" from 33" tires could you post up a before picture with 33" tires and an after picture with 35" tires?

Thanks........

Cruzrman
10-01-2009, 10:09 AM
No problem. It'll be a while before I get the 35's. My 33 MT/R's will still make it through the winter.
cruzrman

Cruzrman
10-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Sorry I don't have a before photo, but this is the after. I would say before the chop I had 1/2" - 3/4" from the edge of the tread at full lock. Now I have a full 2". As you can see, we just made a straight cut rather than a rounded as shown in the previous post. For that reason, I think it gives a little more clearance.
Cruzrman