PDA

View Full Version : "Hallo" from Germany...

corsair23
09-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Been here for a few days and just about adjusted to the time difference...8 hours later here so just about the time I'd normally be going to sleep in the states it is time to get up here :hill:

Internet access is "spotty" at best...Basically have to sit next to the hotel's computer to get a wifi signal...The minute I hit the stairs to go up to the room the signal fades to nada...Oh well, keeps me vacationing and off the computer.

Yesterday we went to Oktoberfest...It was an experience I'll say that. This weekend is what the Germans call "Italian weekend" so as you expect there are a ton of Italians in town. I can't really explain Oktoberfest for those that have never been. Imagine the biggest fair you can think of (rides, games, food, etc.), probably a dozen of what they refer to as beer tents, and maybe a million people...not sure the exact number but my German relative said they expected 1 million plus people to attend each day on the weekend.

Anyway, the tents are actually buildings that they put up and take down each year. Each brewery has one, some have two. They are huge and the inside is at least as big as a football field that is filled with seating areas. The "tent" we were in even had a second floor at each end. In the middle of one side is the stage for the various bands that play. They play a lot of traditional German beer songs but I also heard Country Roads by John Denver, 1984 by Van Halen, Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams, and others I can't remember now. To get inside you have to have reservations for a table and apparently a lot of people try to sneak in because they have guards at each entrance. Once inside there is all manner of German food and of course the Weiss Beer of the particular brewer served in heavy 1L mugs (~34 oz). Let's just say there is a LOT of eating and a LOT of drinking going on and the minimum is 2 mugs of beer on the inside so about 6 beers :D

The other thing is the traditional female garb is a low cut blouse thing :)

All in all fun but I can only imagine it would have been MUCH more fun 20 years ago with a bunch of friends :cool:

Here are some pictures to maybe give you an idea of what it is like...

One of the beer "tents"

Lowenbrau Lion that "drinks" the beer on their tent

One of the rides

The crowd in one part...

corsair23
09-27-2009, 01:52 PM
More pics:

A couple shots of inside the "tent"

BIG pretzels....

To go with the BIG beer :D

How they bring those big beers to the sections...According to my relative the world record for carrying the mugs this way is 21...He said the better "beer girls" can carry 18 or so....This lady probably carried on average 12 or so.

corsair23
09-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Last pic...Thought you might find this funny...

The hotel we are staying at asked if we would switch rooms for a couple nights. We were in their "suite" apparently and they needed the bigger room for a larger party. This is what passes for the shower in the new room we are in. Hard to tell, but even as short as I am I cannot stand up at the tall end of the tub. There is no curtain or door to keep the water in when you attempt to take a shower. Best as we can tell, the idea is that you have to sit down to take a shower :lmao:

The area above the beds has the same "slope" so I keep walking into it and banging my noggin :doh: :lmao:

That is it for now...I'm either going to head off to bed or go join the Italians partying over in the restaurant :D

Tomorrow we head down south to see the Linderhof castle and Neuschwanstein (the castle Disney modeled his castles off). Munich is only about an hours drive to the Alps where a lot of the sight seeing is...

:beer:

MDH33
09-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Looks like fun Jeff!

:beer::beer::beer:

Uncle Ben
09-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Neuschwanstein is very cool! Germans were very direct in the old days to politicians whom they did not trust! Too bad he didn't finish the castle before he took a "swim!" ;) :lmao::lmao: Looks like a great trip, Jeff! :bowdown::bowdown: visiting Europe!!!

http://www.passion-of-bavaria.com/image-files/neuschwanstein-in-fall.jpg

FJBRADY
09-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Very cool, have a great time.

Hulk
09-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Looks awesome! Thanks for sharing the pics! Wish I was there to drink a few of those 34 oz beers. :)

bh4rnnr
09-27-2009, 05:31 PM
Looks awesome! Thanks for sharing the pics! Wish I was there to drink a few of those 34 oz beers. :)

If those beers are anything like the ones in Belgium, it won't take you much to enjoy the night:eek::hill:

I have a little bit of envy right now Jeff:mad::bowdown::beer:.

Maybe we should do a Rising Sun trip to Germany next year.....

Jacket
09-27-2009, 07:04 PM
I want to see a picture of you Jeff after 2-3 of those beers!:drink::drink::drink::homer:

corsair23
09-29-2009, 04:09 PM
We went to Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein yesterday...Hohenschwangau was the King Ludwigs II's parent's "castle" and Neuschwanstein was Ludwigs...

Hohenschwangau is, according to the guide, the only castle/property still owned by the Bavarian royal family and therefore technically a private residence although no one lives there of course. Some Duke something or other is the "head" of the family. The other castles etc. are owned by the state. My pics don't do either place justice and after coming 5000 miles to see Neuschwanstein they are of course working on it :rolleyes:

So, I ate the castle :D

Hohenschwangau up close...

Hohenschwangau from Neuschwanstein....

Neuschwanstein from Marienbruke (Mary's bridge)...Note the entire side facing the bridge is under repair

Marienbruke from Neuschwanstein...

Soon to be no more Neuschwanstein :hill:

corsair23
09-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Today we went to Salzburg and that took up most of the day. Beautiful, and very old, city. Did the tour of the castle/fortress on the hill that I believe was supposedly the abbey in the Sound of Music. Saw the horse fountain in town from the movie etc. Saw a cool bike that you and your friends could ride through town :thumb:

Salzburg from the fortress/castle...

Rose in the Mirabell gardens...

Octopus bike...

Inside the fortress/castle they had several museums covering the history of the place including one room that had a bunch of torture stuff including an area that displayed items that were designed to "shame" people.

Face of shame...Designed to be worn I guess

This item you have to figure out for yourself what it was supposed to be used for. I can't read much German so it wasn't clear but I found the location of the "designs" to be peculiar to say the least :eek:

corsair23
09-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Cruiser stuff....

VERY limited unfortunately. I've seen quite a few Rav4s but very few Cruisers. I'm guessing the size makes them less than appealing over here where small is better. Today though I saw a cool old 60 or 62 turbo diesel. I was too slow with the camera to snap a pic as it came around the corner in Salzburg. Aside from that one sighting I've seen was I guess is a 105 series and maybe the Prado and that is about it :(

But, I remember this from my last trip over here...Over here it is rare to seen a truck/SUV pulling a camper. More typical are vans and cars doing the towinig. Finally got a picture...Not a very good one but a picture just the same. Hard to tell but this is a Mercedez sedan pulling the camper :rolleyes:

On tap for the rest of this week is Linderhof castle, Kelhstein House (Eagle's Nest or Hitler's hide out), and probably Koeniggsee amongst other stuff.

:cheers:

Hulk
09-29-2009, 04:34 PM
This item you have to figure out for yourself what it was supposed to be used for. I can't read much German so it wasn't clear but I found the location of the "designs" to be peculiar to say the least :eek:

Chastity belt.

nakman
09-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Great stuff Jeff, just amazing scenery. thanks!

ElliottB
09-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Sweet pics, keep them coming!

DaveInDenver
09-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Best as we can tell, the idea is that you have to sit down to take a shower
That was exactly the case in my sister's apartment in Berlin, sorta sitting shower/bath arrangement. Some places have a shower curtain on a rod, but it's not universal.
Tomorrow we head down south to see the Linderhof castle and Neuschwanstein (the castle Disney modeled his castles off). Munich is only about an hours drive to the Alps where a lot of the sight seeing is...
I would not personally bother with Neuschwanstein. If you're interested in heading into the hills, though, I would do a driving tour that take you by the Weiskirche and Schloss Nymphenburg. Those are close to Ludwig's castle but much less touristy.

It might be too much of a buzz kill, but Dachau was very powerful to me. It's also a neat little village and they really don't want to be known just for the concentration camp, so have lunch and do some shopping there.

If you get a chance while in Munich, go visit the die Haus der Deutschen Kunst (House of German Art), Bayerische Staatsoper (Bavarian State Opera) and Olympiaturm (the Olympic Tower). Neat buildings. You could also visit BMW I think if you visit the Olympic Park, although it was closed the night I got to the tower. That was cool, though, going up in the tower to see Munich at night. Also if your're into history, look up Oberwiesenfeld and how the Olympics changed that little church and the park around it.

BTW, Neuschwanstein is not really the inspiration for the Disney castles. Although it might loosely be the model for Sleeping Beauty's castle at Disneyland. But it's fairly certain that Château d'Ussé (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A2teau_d%27Uss%C3%A9) in France is really the inspiration for King Stefan's castle in Charles Perrault's book. I dunno, they're both old and big and cold.

Disney
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a7/Sleeping_Beauty_Castle_at_Night.jpg/732px-Sleeping_Beauty_Castle_at_Night.jpg

Château d'Ussé
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9b/Cot%C3%A9-ch%C3%A2teau_fort_d%27Uss%C3%A9.JPG/450px-Cot%C3%A9-ch%C3%A2teau_fort_d%27Uss%C3%A9.JPG

Neuschwanstein
http://armbrusterweb.com/tripsfolder/longtripsfolder/germanyfolder/munichfolder/files/page15_14.jpg

corsair23
10-03-2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the tips Dave :thumb:

We did Weiskirche and Schloss Nymphenburg back in '04 and I agree...Toured Dachau as well then and yes, VERY powerful. What I found even more interesting is that my relatives that have lived in and around Munich their entire lives have never gone to Dachau and they have no plans to do so either. I guess I can understand to a certain extent but it is still a part of their history. The reality is that many of the things associated with Hitler my relatives have never toured/visited. We went to Kehlstein yesterday. They have never been there nor have their kids who are all over 21 now.

No pics lately because the internet has been so spotty it takes a long time just to even get this to post...Maybe Monday night I'll try to post some up if the internet connection at the Marriott is better...Back to reality early Tues morning :( - Leave here at 6:55am local, 10:55pm Monday night Denver time and get into Denver ~6pm Tuesday night. Munich to Frankfurt to Chicago to Denver. It will be a long day...

:beer: