PDA

View Full Version : FJ40 hardtop rebuild questions

Rezarf
09-29-2009, 09:15 AM
I think Subz has rebuilt his hardtop, but I had a few questions for those who have been there before.

My drip rail is rusty in spots from the inside, and has a few cracks in the exterior drip rail as well from an old roof rack (but I can weld these up no problem).

My questions are:

1.How do you remove the drip rail from the fiberglass cap? It seems to have around a kerbillion rivets in it :rant:

2.There is a heavy layer of caulk type stuff in the rain gutter "trench" whats the best way to get that out of there without messing up the fiberglass.

3. I am going to install a new headliner, would you glue it inplace before or after you rivet the cap back to the rail?

Thanks! :thumb:

Drew

subzali
09-29-2009, 09:49 AM
I think Subz has rebuilt his hardtop, but I had a few questions for those who have been there before.

My drip rail is rusty in spots from the inside, and has a few cracks in the exterior drip rail as well from an old roof rack (but I can weld these up no problem).

My questions are:

1.How do you remove the drip rail from the fiberglass cap? It seems to have around a kerbillion rivets in it :rant:

2.There is a heavy layer of caulk type stuff in the rain gutter "trench" whats the best way to get that out of there without messing up the fiberglass.

3. I am going to install a new headliner, would you glue it inplace before or after you rivet the cap back to the rail?

Thanks! :thumb:

Drew

My "rebuild" wasn't that thorough; it was mostly to repaint the fiberglass part of the cap and do some fiberglass repair on the inside of the cap. But I'll give this a crack:

-I think you do have to drill out the rivets to separate the two pieces. No easy way around it.

-I don't know about number 2...

-I would definitely consider gluing the headliner in before riveting the cap and rail together; it's hard to reach back up in there if the rail is in place. BUT SOR and others sell kits just for the headliner so I'm guessing that it's doable with the rail in place. It will probably be easier to tell once it's apart. You aren't going to start into this project this close to winter setting in are you?

MDH33
09-29-2009, 09:56 AM
The previous owner of my rig rebuilt the hardtop and he explained the tedious process of drilling out all those rivets and then hunting high and low for suitable replacements. He ended up finding aircraft rivets and a tool to install them. He replaced the rail (CCOT I believe sells them) and then used some sort of 3M body adhesive to replace the goo in the raingutter. That stuff in the raingutter is usually pretty dry and chips out. He never got as far as replacing the headliner unfortunately.

Rezarf
09-29-2009, 10:18 AM
You aren't going to start into this project this close to winter setting in are you?

I put the top on late January last year... ;):p:

I may cut and weld what I can and repaint the cap... I might not seperate them.

Drew

Jacket
09-29-2009, 10:44 AM
There's supposed to be a headliner up there?? :p:

Rezarf
09-29-2009, 11:37 AM
There's supposed to be a headliner up there?? :p:

Yeah, I just found a good deal on the web for the same fabric that CCOT, SOR and others use. Should cost about $40 to do the headliner. I have heard it makes it quieter... but it is a 40 with a terrible exhaust leak so I won't count on any noise reduction ;D

Matt, or anyone else want in if I buy the fabric? I am going to get white (not off-white like OEM) perforated vinyl with foam backing. It will need to be stitched together with a seam that would run above the facotry roll bar.

Thanks!:thumb:

subzali
09-29-2009, 12:14 PM
man, would love to but no budget for the 40 at the moment. Let us know the source so perhaps later we can get us some! I've thought of putting a headliner up there for a little noise reduction/heat retention...