PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Toyota 4x4 pick up 5 speed

franktown99
09-30-2009, 05:40 AM
I have a 1989 4x4 pick up it has a 5 speed and a 22re, there is a whining noise "sounds like a bearing when the trans is in neutral with the clutch engaged and the noise goes away when the clutch is disengaged. has anyone else had this problem or know where I might start? Thanks

powderpig
09-30-2009, 06:02 AM
Input haft bearing on the trans:
It is a bitch to replace, but doable. The transmission needs to come out to do it. May want to plan on a new clutch and pressure plate at the same time.
Robbie

DaveInDenver
09-30-2009, 06:06 AM
Clutch throw-out bearing maybe? That's what it was on mine. Just slightly less of a PITA to replace than the tranny input bearing.

MDH33
09-30-2009, 07:55 AM
Throw out bearing noise usually stops when the clutch pedal is depressed and makes noise when it's up.

leiniesred
09-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Input shaft bearing

hildy60
09-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Pull your splash guard off and look at the throw out bearing.If its high enough look at it running with someone engaging and disengaging the clutch that will remove all doubt.

DaveInDenver
09-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Throw out bearing noise usually stops when the clutch pedal is depressed and makes noise when it's up.
I read that backwards, which goes to show that one should never, ever post until after the first mug of coffee. In fact, it's probably a very good thing that there's rarely many people on the road at 6AM on my drive into work because bad, bad things might happen. It is by caffeine alone by which I function.

MDH33
09-30-2009, 10:19 AM
I read that backwards, which goes to show that one should never, ever post until after the first mug of coffee. In fact, it's probably a very good thing that there's rarely many people on the road at 6AM on my drive into work because bad, bad things might happen. It is by caffeine alone by which I function.

Now that I re-read the post, I think you read it correctly, Dave. engaged/disengaged, threw me off. It probably is the throw out bearing.

DaveInDenver
09-30-2009, 10:51 AM
Now that I re-read the post, I think you read it correctly, Dave. engaged/disengaged, threw me off. It probably is the throw out bearing.
We should be clear in meanings.

clutch engaged = foot off pedal (so an engaged clutch means both sides are spinning together)
clutch disengaged = pedal pushed to the floor (so a disengaged clutch allows two sides to turn independently)
sounds like a bearing when the trans is in neutral with the clutch engaged and the noise goes away when the clutch is disengaged.
So the noise is present when the clutch is engaged, so foot OFF the pedal. This is the typical symptom for a dying throw out. Often putting even just a little pressure on the pedal will change the throw out bearing noise or make it quiet. Either way you start at the same place, pull the tranny...

TIMZTOY
09-30-2009, 12:49 PM
both the input shaft and throw out bearing will make that noise. Either way your droping the tranny. Is Your tranny leaking ? If your fluid is low it could cause the Input bearing to go. just drop the tranny and check it out. Good time for a clutch upgrade. Odds are it's the throw out bearing because you can make it kum-n-go with the peddel. LOL

Red_Chili
09-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Another vote for the input shaft bearing, first to go among its peers in the tranny generally. Assuming you mean foot off pedal = noise, foot pushing pedal = silence. AND, try this, foot LIGHTLY on pedal (clutch still engaged) makes no difference from foot off pedal. If it does - throwout. If not - input bearing.

I've not lost a throwout before wearing out a clutch, but that's just me I guess.

Not the same tranny, but close, and pretty much the same process. (http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/r151f/)

franktown99
09-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks to everyone for the advise, I guess the trans is coming out this weekend.

leiniesred
10-02-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm with Bill. Never lost a t-out bearing before a clutch disk, but I've only broken one well used clutch disk so far!

At around 170,000 miles, my clutch disk was quite thin. This means the fingers of the pressure plate move closer to the t-out bearing to the point where they just kiss it and it chirps when the engine is running and your foot is off the clutch. The slightest movement of the clutch arm would silence the noise. (either move the t-out bearing out of reach of the fingers, or make the t-out bearing spin with the clutch. Shortly after this noise, I broke the clutch disk into pieces while pulling trees at the girlfriend's house. I installed a used clutch disk on christmas day because that was all I had. New t-out bearing and input shaft pilot bearing. Didn't even turn the flywheel or pressure plate.

That set-up has been in my truck for another 100,000 miles, but I think that used disk is getting thin. Maybe in a couple-a-years I'll change it out.

RockRunner
10-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Not sure but I think you sell it to me for $200, sounds like something really bad has happened and is to expensive to fix :D OK OK maybe not but if you decide I have cash;)