PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen 2 part hard doors? half doors?

Rezarf
09-30-2009, 12:53 PM
I have a set of decent hard doors for a late model 40, that I have been lugging arond for about 10 years now :eek: I know these are getting somewhat rare and fetch a decent amount of $$$ but I am still on my original plan to make some good half doors.

However, Isaac and I were talking yesterday about the possibilty of making a two part hard door. Essentially a hard door lower,that had a hard door upper with a rear sliding style window (think jeep window). I could recess a few deep well nuts and use a threaded bolt on the uppers to cinch them down. I would use plexi or similar to lighten the upper half.

Too lofty!?

MDH33
09-30-2009, 12:56 PM
hve you seen Hulks Pakistan hard 1/2 doors? They have the soft uppers for easy on/off. you could probably make something similar that would mesh better with the hard OEM door frames.

Uncle Ben
09-30-2009, 01:40 PM
I have a set of decent hard doors for a late model 40, that I have been lugging arond for about 10 years now :eek: I know these are getting somewhat rare and fetch a decent amount of $$$ but I am still on my original plan to make some good half doors.

However, Isaac and I were talking yesterday about the possibilty of making a two part hard door. Essentially a hard door lower,that had a hard door upper with a rear sliding style window (think jeep window). I could recess a few deep well nuts and use a threaded bolt on the uppers to cinch them down. I would use plexi or similar to lighten the upper half.

Too lofty!?

I was following ya untill you brought up the "J**p" thang......hard went soft in record time! :o

Rezarf
10-01-2009, 08:30 AM
I was thinking something like this... :eek:

AxleIke
10-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Personally I think this is going to be awesome. The windows would be easy to make from plexiglas, and cheaper that way too. The only trick will be finding double track weather strip, which I'm sure is pretty easy to find, I've just never looked :D

As for the sheet metal, time to hit up Ian and learn to do some TIG!!!!!! (Mig with that stuff is SUCH a pain. Ugh)

wesintl
10-01-2009, 09:11 AM
oh lord, no. Sell your 40 and get a cj5 then. :eek:

CardinalFJ60
10-01-2009, 09:32 AM
...with doors "kinda" like that. I ended up restoring the doors on that van and learned they are basically two pieces. the bottom part, from the window channel to the bottom was one piece and the frame was the top part with sliding windows inside. Not that the VW stuff would fit, but I've seen it and dis-mantled and re-mantled doors like that.

rover67
10-01-2009, 09:51 AM
rovers have split sliding windows with hard removable door tops that would be easy to copy since it looks like they made them in a basement the first time anyways.

http://z.hubpages.com/u/1687586_f520.jpg

http://oldenglishcars.com/db1/00049/oldenglishcars.com/_uimages/IMG_0123JohnMoody.jpg