PDA

View Full Version : Moab Report-It was Great-Now I need parts

Air Randy
09-30-2009, 08:24 PM
We got into Slickrock Campground about midnight Friday night. Saturday morning we hooked up with a few of the locals to run Poison Spider. We got to the very first obstacle and the Mule wouldn't climb it. The guy spotting me said "your left rear wheel isn't turning, use your locker". Well, I have a Lockright in the rear so I thought "UhOh" and sure enough I broke the drivers side rear axle. I'm not even sure when it happened. It either occurred as I made a sharp turn in the parking lot of the trailhead or even the week prior on Holy Cross. We never heard a sound. Fortunately, since I have disk brakes on the rear I could still drive without the wheel falling off so we got it back to the trailer. I found a replacement axle at Moab Outpost and by late afternoon the Mule was back up and mobile again.

We spent the next 2 days running back country trails with Crash and his friend Jack Bickers. What a treat. We'll get pictures of that posed up soon.

Now for the good stuff: On Monday we went with some folks we met and ran Moab Rim. The Mule was working great and the new tires were awesome. Everything was great until we came to the Z turn obstacle and I got off line and we did a slow flop onto the passenger side of the rig. The new tubing and body armor worked great. We winched it back on it's wheels and the only damage was the passenger side front turn indicator was crunched and a small dent in the side of the windshield frame. Other than scuffs in the paint on the tubing, not another mark any where. I backed down, moved over 2 feet to the left and she went up without spinning a wheel.

We were feeling pretty good until about 15 minutes later. We went over a very steep hill and there was a huge pot hole at the bottom. I would have normally taken it straight on but thought I would take the "easy" line until we settled down a bit. Well, I screwed up and didnt go far enough right. My left front slipped into the pothole and we very quickly went upside down again, this time a full 180 onto the top of the cage!

Once again we winched her back over, spent 20 minutes loading all of the crap back in that fell out of the back and the center console. The olf F motor lit right off with barely a puff of smoke. Once again the armor worked great and there was no body damage other than scuffed pait and now the left front turn indicator was toast too. That and my front hoop needs to be about 2" taller so my windshield frame was destroyed. We folded the windshield down and finished the rest of the run without further incident.

It was a great lesson to reinforce that you should always get out and look at any significant obstacle that is new to you, always ask for a spot from someone experienced with the obstacle, lock your center console lid and find better ways to store all of the crap you carry on runs. The only injuries were to my pride and Dee got a bump on the head when a can of WD40 in the center console fell on her head as she was crawling out.

So, if anyone has a decent windshield frame for a 1974 please let me know ASAP. If you have any front turn indicators let me know on those too but I have some others that will work for now.

FJBRADY
09-30-2009, 09:11 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

Good thing is it looks like everyone is ok.....let me know if you need any help putting it back together as I have two hands to lend.

I think Marco might have a windshield and frame once he finds a late model replacement!

MDH33
09-30-2009, 09:32 PM
40 abuse. :banghead:

Air Randy
09-30-2009, 09:49 PM
40 abuse. :banghead:

Yeah, ain't it great :D

Steve, I'll let you know once I find some parts, thanks for the offer.

I'm surprised no one has noticed my cool tire cover and how appropriate it worked out for the occasion...........

RicardoJM
09-30-2009, 09:55 PM
:eek: Glad to hear you and Dee are ok. Hopefully it won't take long to find the parts needed to get the Mule back to like new condition. :thumb: As you get ready to put it back together I'll lend a hand if I can. Sounds like it was a very good trip with some great wheeling. I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures.

nuclearlemon
09-30-2009, 10:04 PM
randy, started putting the word out on a frame for ya....i'll let you know what i find. as of now, i'm asking for either an early frame only, or later complete...let me know if marco finds something and trading is no longer an option. :thumb:

Uncle Ben
09-30-2009, 10:24 PM
I'm very sorry Randy! Looks like Mule is built right as it took the "skid plate inspection position" quite well it appears. Way to properly abuse a 40!!!!! :thumb: ;) Is a '73 windshield frame the same as a 74? I think I have a red one floating around.

nuclearlemon
09-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Is a '73 windshield frame the same as a 74?

yep

Hulk
10-01-2009, 12:47 AM
Looks like fun! Glad all your armor served its intended purpose and protected everything and everybody.

MDH33
10-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Why bother replacing the windshield? Just cut the rest of the sheet metal off and tube that sucker out. Better yet, just buy a jeep to destroy. :rolleyes:

Rezarf
10-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Glad to hear you are all okvay. I am shocked your sheet metal wasn't damaged. I have to step up the armor... or not play as hard as you! :D

Air Randy
10-01-2009, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE= Is a '73 windshield frame the same as a 74? I think I have a red one floating around.[/QUOTE]

Yep, being red ain't no big thang, I can make it Mule blue in a jiffy with my handy can of rustoleum. I called your cell but didn't get an answer. Give me a call ASAP if possible, I could run up there today and pick it up. 303-319-8976.

Air Randy
10-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Glad to hear you are all okvay. I am shocked your sheet metal wasn't damaged. I have to step up the armor... or not play as hard as you! :D

I was quite happy with the out come considering what it could have been. The front stinger protected the hood and radiator. If you look at the picture where it's flopped on the right side you can see what saved it well.

You can see the heavy wall DOM tube that goes from the rear bumper and ties into the slider. What you cant see is that tubed is tied to the frame under the wheel well and the cage ties into it too.

The front tube fender is made of the same super stout tube and ties to the slider in back, to the stinger in front and also ties to the frame in two other places. The rear tube, slider and tube fender stick out just enough that once it leaves the tire those are the next contact points and then it contactes the roll cage. The only issue was when I built the original cage I made the A hoop about 2" too short. If it was a little taller the windshield frame would have survived.

All I can say is "Thank You Redline Cruisers for the great body armor, for beefing up my roll cage and properly installing the seats and harnesses into a well built cage tub.". The whole time it felt like a cool carnival ride. It was amazing to be able to just fold the windshield down and just continue on with the run. I've seen other vehicles roll less hard than my second roll and it virtually totaled them not to mention people getting hurt.

jettaglxdriver
10-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Great pics. Glad everyone is ok and the rig wasn't damaged that bad.

AxleIke
10-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Meh, it'll buff out!

Nice pics Randy! Glad everyone was okay, and glad your armor served you so well. Those old 40's are tough!

SWB rigs seem to have a hard time on Moab rim from what I've seen. I was up there with a 40 my first time, and it was REALLY sketchy watching him.

JadeRunner
10-01-2009, 12:21 PM
It sounds like you and your 40 will come out even stronger and more experienced after this. I admire how much you and Dee get out and wheel. Way to go!

When I was gunning Moab Rim for Crase this year we had a guy in an extended cab 2nd gen pick up flip coming down through the Z turn. It’s a tricky spot. And those holes can get you.

066wally
10-01-2009, 11:49 PM
74 windshield frame on Craigslist:
http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1366810212.html

isotel
10-02-2009, 03:50 AM
Bummer,, Ive got your new Decals ready for the new windshield ;)

the more you play, the more often your chances of rolling.. Glad to see you out Enjoying that beast! new Decals are going to look good!

farnhamstj
10-02-2009, 08:01 AM
Randy, glad everyone is alright.

Air Randy
10-02-2009, 09:19 AM
74 windshield frame on Craigslist:
http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1366810212.html

Dang, it's even the right color. But, $250 for a frame with broken glass? I found a frame last night with cracked glass for $50 and it will take me 30 minutes to transfer my wiper motor over.

Thanks for looking though!

rover67
10-02-2009, 10:53 AM
I think 250 is not a bad deal based on what i've seen...

but 50 bucks is a hell of a deal.

Uncle Ben
10-02-2009, 11:03 AM
I think 250 is not a bad deal based on what i've seen...

but 50 bucks is a hell of a deal.

And to think I was just going to give Randy the '73 frame if I still had it.....:rolleyes:

rover67
10-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Man, I've seen some reeeealy expensive ones.

so yeah, any of you boys see a 78 or later one gimme a shout.

Air Randy
10-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Marco,

I still want to buy the windshield & frame complete off of your unit when you find another one. The one I got is pretty junky but cheap so it will work OK for now.

Uncle Ben
10-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Stock up on frames that fit your truck! I have a spare for my 40 also. Windshield frames and front fenders are consumables! :thumb: ;):bowdown::zilla:

Romer
10-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Is there a new name for "Air Randy"?

Is Dee going wheeling with you any more?

Seriously, glad your OK and looks like you did a great job on building your truck.

The most important things is you were out having fun

Uncle Ben
10-02-2009, 12:53 PM

Seriously, glad your OK and looks like you did a great job on building your truck.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/9/196519_124306_front.jpg

Tch2fly
10-02-2009, 01:51 PM
:d

rover67
10-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Marco,

I still want to buy the windshield & frame complete off of your unit when you find another one. The one I got is pretty junky but cheap so it will work OK for now.

OK, still looking for one for mine.

Uncle Ben
10-02-2009, 03:21 PM
:d

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: :thumb::thumb:

Air Randy
10-02-2009, 08:11 PM

Well, "Crash" is already taken so I guess I'll stick with "Air Randy" for now.

On the first flop, she was giggling like a little kid from the time I told her we were going over until she climbed out of the truck. She said it was just like a roller coaster ride. She said the 2nd one wasn't as much fun because it happened so quick. What can I say, I am a very lucky guy.

As Ige said, "Dee is one bad-ass cruiser chick" :headbang:

Uncle Ben
10-02-2009, 08:24 PM
You know it's a cool Cruiser if it looks great on it's back! ;) :lmao: :zilla:

RockRunner
10-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Randy, didn't we discuss the purpose /height required for a stinger when we were at Holy Cross? Glad to hear all is OK and parts are coming in too,

I am thinking me naming you Air Randy needs to be changed to either "Cage tester" or "So I roll occasionally" Just a few of the top of my head.

TIMZTOY
10-05-2009, 10:31 PM
How about " Belly Flop " :hill: