PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop

Jacket
10-02-2009, 03:06 PM
I need to get a new laptop for my wife (and me I guess) and wondered if anyone has any opinions, deals or machines to avoid in the current market. She's a pretty simple user: internet, email, calendar, pictures, and music - and something to sync with her IPhone (but not a Mac - too pricey).

Anyone have feedback on Asus? They've got nice looking machines for a good price.

We use Dell Latitudes at work - been through a few D6xx and have an E6400 now. Are the Inspirons up to par for home use?

Whatever you got - good or bad - let me know.

:cheers:

edit: And what's the skinny on 32 bit vs. 64 bit Microsoft OS. Any reason to avoid the 64 bit?

Rezarf
10-02-2009, 03:10 PM
I have had two second hand HP's and I have to say that I am really impressed with them. However, I am pretty impressed with pagers still.

MDH33
10-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Refurbished Mac Books on the Apple Store site regularly go for $850.

Jacket
10-02-2009, 03:18 PM
I have had two second hand HP's and I have to say that I am really impressed with them. However, I am pretty impressed with pagers still.

:lmao::lmao: Too funny.

Uncle Ben
10-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Refurbished Mac Books on the Apple Store site regularly go for $850.

Thats still $1850 more than a Mac is worth! Let's wee then you need a Apple I-desk and an Apple I-wall outlet then an Apple I-lighting then..... Get all of that and you can play solitaire really fast!

TIMZTOY
10-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Just about any brand labtop will be good fob what your wantingto do. I'd base my decision on which one you like first then worry about brand later. I have always bought Sony or toshiba. I have a toshiba now and abuse the he'll out of it. It's a tank. My mom has a hp she likes it. I think it's a flimsy pos. I don't really like dell but I'm getting g ready to buy the dell mini 10 because it fits what I want it for. And it's the only mini with a full keyboard. I take a full sentence. Any sentence e that's in my head. And type it on all the minis that I like. And see which one was the easest to type and with the liest typos.

Jacket
10-02-2009, 03:27 PM
I've avoided the Mac's simply because of the inflated pricing. Computers are a tool for me, and not something where I would pay significant extra money for status and image. Pound for pound, it seems that a Mac is at least 100% more expensive than a similarly equipped Dell or HP.

But maybe I'm not looking in the right places?

Jacket
10-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Just about any brand labtop will be good fob what your wantingto do. I'd base my decision on which one you like first then worry about brand later. I have always bought Sony or toshiba. I have a toshiba now and abuse the he'll out of it. It's a tank. My mom has a hp she likes it. I think it's a flimsy pos. I don't really like dell but I'm getting g ready to buy the dell mini 10 because it fits what I want it for. And it's the only mini with a full keyboard. I take a full sentence. Any sentence e that's in my head. And type it on all the minis that I like. And see which one was the easest to type and with the liest typos.

I can see that typo's would be important consideration for you! ;):lmao:

nakman
10-02-2009, 04:02 PM
We just bought one of those mini netbook HP's. It was a refurb from Tiger Direct, ~$260. Came with a 3 month warranty, I'll report back how it goes.

So far it's pretty neat- very small and cute, actually pretty fast, but no hard drive space, came with 16gb and I think 7 of that is already used up with the OS. So no real room for music, photos, or even MS Office for that matter, but we've got a desktop machine for all that stuff, this one will be almost entirely devoted to Michele's email, facebook, and celebrity gossip.

theboomboom
10-02-2009, 05:19 PM
I've always run asus motherboards in the rigs I build for myself, so far they've been rock solid. Can't speak to the quality of their notebooks, however, but I wouldn't hesitate on getting one for a second based on the positive experience I've had with their other hardware. Lesser-known-brands can be real gems since the price doesn't carry the weight of a name brand.

At this point, unless there is some legacy piece of software you absolutely cannot live without, 64-bit is becoming a no brainer. It makes better use of your hardware, makes everything run faster, and is pretty much the way of the future. One thing I would look out for at this point, is make sure whatever you decide to buy, be sure it includes an upgrade to Windows 7 (otherwise you'll be stuck with vista).

Inukshuk
10-02-2009, 07:57 PM
I bought a Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop refurbished from Dell.com in February for $460 complete. 120 GB HD, 2GB DDR2 SDRAM (800MHz), 8X DVD +/- RW. Its for travel. Email (outlook) and documents. Slow to boot but decent once it gets going. Changing the Vista settings to optimize for speed helps a lot. For the price I'm happy with it. The thing about the refurb store is that things come and go from moment to moment, so you have to watch it a few days and be prepared to strike.

TIMZTOY
10-02-2009, 10:01 PM
I can see that typo's would be important consideration for you! ;):lmao:
I am posting from my iphone. And have been for the last month. And it puts in words at random if it thinks that's what I wanted and my phone is slower than ****. (got it wet)

pmccumber
10-02-2009, 10:30 PM
I worked for AMD for 4 years and worked in the mobile space with Toshiba, HP, Dell, Fujitsu, and yes, Apple. Plus I worked for two other semis making CPUs for another 8 years. I follow this space religiously.

First, there are two (basically) classes of laptops, consumer and enterprise. When Dell (and I'm using Dell as an example) makes a Latitude, the channels they sell into they give 3 year full replacement warranties. So those come with much better thermal, shock, and packaging than their consumer varieties that typically come with much shorter warranties. Plus, Dell will drive the snot of out of the vendors to insure that all the drivers work and the system is ready. You can and will get laptops (and desktops) that have gnarly problems and it might just be an integration problem that requires somebody like Dell to solve with the component vendor(s). At my current company, we get new laptops at 2 years and 9 months. That is driven by the fact that our IT simply pings Dell for a new computer if/when they break.

Lesson: Get an enterprise laptop. Go to Dell's site for example and just pretend you're a small business. When they ask, lie. It's that simple.

Second, all Macs are enterprise laptops. That is why they cost a little more. Plus, the Apple stores do cost real money to operate and they are very valuable resources. Their customer support is fantastic. Their are based on BSD Unix and that is my all-time favorite. But I hate the company with a passion because they don't support commodity hardware and they endlessly do things like sell their phones through one network and only support Intel and have their own USB cable and ... screw 'em. But if that doesn't bother you and you want a great computer for 20% more than Dell, go for it. I totally get it; it is just personal with me; but make no mistake, they are fantastic computers.

Now interestingly enough, my wife spilled coffee on her and the kids computer Tuesday. Killed it. Dead. I contemplated my options Wednesday and Thursday. I'm building her a very nice Shuttle system and it will have a nice big 24" monitor. They NEVER use the mobile aspect of it.

To replace the laptop, because we do take it with us on vacations and such, I went online and bought an N6125 HP Enterprise class laptop just like the one that was slaughtered Tuesday for $240 on eBay. I looked and there are nice Latitudes, Lenovo Thinkpads (those things are TANKS), and enterprise Toshibas. For example, there were 312 Dell Latitude D620 just now and I have one at work that is a fantastic little laptop. Looks like they can be had for ~$300.

If you get an Intel part in a laptop, get a Core 2 Duo (or quad). Do NOT get a Pentium or any of its derivatives. They are extremely poor performers and run extremely hot. You can run them in a desktop with adequate cooling (and it doubles as a spaceheater). The Core 2 parts are fantastic and run nice and cool. Plus, clock for clock outperform a Pentium 10-1.

Paul

Hulk
10-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Just a word to the wise: Windows 7 comes out on Oct. 22. If you're thinking of buying a laptop computer (more powerful) rather than a netbook (smaller, more portable), then you should wait until Windows 7 comes out, rather than buying a computer with Vista on it. Yeah, you'll get a free copy of Windows 7, but you'll have to load it yourself.

Most netbooks are running Windows XP these days, so if you're headed that direction, you can buy now. However, Windows 7 supposedly has a version specifically for netbooks, so it still might be worth your while to wait a bit. (Vista is terrible on netbooks).

Personally, working in the web site building business, I have had both a Mac and a PC, side-by-side on my desk for nearly 13 years. Right now if I had to choose one, I would choose a Mac. They are simply far more enjoyable to use.

RockRunner
10-03-2009, 02:57 PM
I have a used IBM T-60 that runs awesome. These books were nearly indestructible, it is the same type we gave to ????? in the club so he could be online finally.

I also have a Dell, just LMK what you need and how much $$$ you want to spend.

pmccumber
10-03-2009, 10:07 PM
So checking into it a bit more it looks like Kirsten's MacBookPro is based on the Intel Santa Rosa architecture. It's running a Duo Core 2 and since the warranty is up I went ahead and tore it open (not to mention she dropped it and dented the case, gotta love aluminum cases, and had a stuck CD in it). It's sure enough got a T7600, GM965, GMAX3100 and a ICH8M in there. It's got a Broadcom BCM4328, which I believe is the WiFi controller. Sorta looks like to me that Apple does use a lot of the same industry standard OTS parts but maybe doesn't use the full standard Intel implementation, since they use Broadcom's WiFi (it would be an Intel 4965 for a complete Santa Rosa right?). I believe that is still the case, too, that Apple is using Broadcom's WiFi. They also have converted to the NVIDIA 9400MG chipset this year, which means that they might have dropped the Intel support chips completely, just using the MPU. So maybe that is why you are saying they don't use commodity hardware? Just wondering what that means, I know next to nothing about the PC industry and so I assumed that Apple computers were basically just top end of the parts. It's nothing like my old Mac 9500 which used custom ASICs that Apple designed, PowerPCs, etc.

I'm not saying they built all their own support h/w like the old days. Not even close. Your Broadcom example is perfect: If you're making a great PC today, you use Broadcom parts. Apple benefits from an open market where the battle for technical supremacy is being waged with weapons supplied from Microsoft. Marvell versus Broadcom. ATI and nVidia drive the graphics market forward with brutal competition. Apple supports one of them. AMD might be one of the most important companies in the world in that they are the only thing standing in the way of Intel just feeding it us. Apple won't support them. I love markets and the more Apple succeeds, the worse it is for the hardware markets.

So Apple can kiss my heinie. I don't care if merely being in the room with one gave a euphoria Casteneda-like state of being. The can keep their wonderful products for people who don't hold a grudge. I'm not one of 'em.

pmccumber
10-03-2009, 10:09 PM
I have a used IBM T-60 that runs awesome. These books were nearly indestructible, it is the same type we gave to ????? in the club so he could be online finally.

Thinkpads are notorious for being indestructable.

rover67
10-03-2009, 11:28 PM
I have actually liked the Dell stuff.

All I do at home is internet, email, and pictures.

My latest computer is a Dell Latitude D600 that I got used from work for 100 bucks. I like it.. I've treated it like crap and it has done well. It has bounced around in the passenger seat of the 60 and been in several cars strapped in with seatbelts doing hotlaps hitting bumps and slamming all around.

maybe look at the small buisiness Dells as stated above?

Caribou Sandstorm
10-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Costco has some great deals right now on HP laptops..I have a 1 year old
dv9000 and they had a great deal $650.00 for a lower hp model and a 100 off coupon..

Lars
10-04-2009, 04:35 PM
I got my HP from costo, and have been pretty cruel to it and it had continued to work flawlessly for me. It's a great computer, that is easy to personalise.

RockRunner
10-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Thinkpads are notorious for being indestructable.

So how much do you want to spend? :D Mem, HDD size etc, I have several different models available from newer new to two years old. They all work great and can be build as you want.

I also have LCD monitors from17" to 24" and desktop/engineering WS.

Many satisfied customers on this forum if you need some questions answered.

Colorado80
10-05-2009, 01:30 AM
My advice, go with a thinkpad. I have a t42, t60, t60p and t61p. All have lived up to the name and you can find them for 400-600 range. These things are absolutely a pleasure to have and as mentioned before; indestructible. If you would like to test out one of the machines PM me. I cannot vouch for the new thinkpad lineup as I haven't personally used it but it should be good. Someone also mentioned "enterprise" class laptop; I agree a 100%. Just make sure you get a discrete video card with any one that you chose to go with.

farnhamstj
10-05-2009, 09:02 AM
While I know very little about computers. even less about lap tops. I haven't even heard of Windows 7? Is it like Mojave or whatever they called Vista in the comercials to make people like it? "Look I can make all my pictures into a panorama!" Yeah, but can you go 10 minutes without something that needs clicking to verify that it doesn't work properly? What I can tell you is I will never, never buy anything with VISTA again ever. I'm going MAC next time to get as far away as possible. I store my CPU under my desk to prevent me from picking the thing up and thowing it. Sorry, rant off. Buy a MAC.

Hulk
10-05-2009, 02:01 PM
I haven't even heard of Windows 7? Is it like Mojave or whatever they called Vista in the comercials to make people like it? "Look I can make all my pictures into a panorama!" Yeah, but can you go 10 minutes without something that needs clicking to verify that it doesn't work properly? What I can tell you is I will never, never buy anything with VISTA again ever.

Microsoft really hurt their reputation with Vista. Windows 7 is the replacement, and the reviews all point to it being excellent. I pre-ordered it and will have it delivered to my house on Oct. 22, so I'll let y'all know what I think. My laptop that came with Vista has been running XP for the last 12 months, but I'm planning to put Windows 7 on it as soon as it arrives.

Uncle Ben
10-05-2009, 02:04 PM
While I know very little about computers. even less about lap tops. I haven't even heard of Windows 7? Is it like Mojave or whatever they called Vista in the comercials to make people like it? "Look I can make all my pictures into a panorama!" Yeah, but can you go 10 minutes without something that needs clicking to verify that it doesn't work properly? What I can tell you is I will never, never buy anything with VISTA again ever.

DITTO! Vista probably did more for Mac sales than anything else Gates & Co have done to date! I "degraded" both my desktop and Laptop to XP Pro from Vista and it was the best choice I've made in a while!

Bobzooki
10-05-2009, 02:31 PM
I pack a Lenovo T500 back and forth every day, and it's pretty good, but I'm suprised that there have been no recommendations for a laptop with Linux and all the OpenOffice Apps on it.

RockRunner
10-05-2009, 03:28 PM
I can put XP Pro on a laptop so you know it will run with no problems.

I have been testing Windows 7 for a while now and I like it OK but it only comes with new systems unless you buy a seperate copy for $279 I think.

You need to decided what you want and go from there. LMK if I can help you.

Lars
10-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Have been doing a test run of 7 for a couple of months now and really like it. While I never had any problems with Vista, it was a resource hog. 7 is a big improvment and prefere it over XP.

RockRunner
10-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Have been doing a test run of 7 for a couple of months now and really like it. While I never had any problems with Vista, it was a resource hog. 7 is a big improvement and prefer it over XP.

Right on the nose, one of the reasons we will be passing over Vista for the most part and going with 7. Vista is OK and the system I am using to post this is running Vista on it. My only problem in the beginning was a lack of drivers for certain hardware.

theboomboom
10-07-2009, 08:18 AM
For the poor college student in your life:

http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/en_US/DisplayHomePage?resid=vmwumwoBAiMAADi-VUEAAAAb&rests=1254921462916