PDA

View Full Version : Car seat questions...

chtucker
10-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Anyone here an "expert"?

With the impending explosion of my wife's belly... well it looks that way (I have about 4-5 more weeks...maybe)

We have two vehicles now...

2007 Toyota FJ Crusier with latch system
1994 Toyota Land Cruiser without latch system

I bought two car seats a few months ago and tried installing them in the FJ Cruiser today... Easy as cake with the latch system. To get the child carrier part in and out of the car you have to move the seat all the way forward. Once the child seat is locked into the base, the front seat barely goes back far enough for my short little legs (30" inseam)

I haven't tried the seats in the Land Cruiser. I felt that the latch system and much more modern FJ would be safer. The Land Cruiser doors are tinfoil compared to the FJs. The FJ also has the problem of having to open the front doors most of the way to get the rear doors to open. Not a problem here in the boonies... but anytime you go shopping you better park at the far end of the parking lot..

Now I am reconsidering... Is securing the seats with the belt system in the Land Cruiser as good as the latch system? Being that I can't put the seat in the center as we have two buns in the oven... should I worry about the thin doors on the Land Cruiser? The Land Cruiser has a rear heater that would be helpful in keeping the kids warm in our artic weather...

Anyone got some suggestions?

wesintl
10-04-2009, 04:32 PM
I have 2 kids in a 97 cruiser. No latch system like my 2002 vw jetta. You have to play around with it but i have it nice and tight. They are safe. We pretty much use britax (roundabout, marathon) and the baby seat (reverse kind is a graco). You might have to shop around a little bit because i've found different car seats fit different cars/suvs better etc.

congrat on the pending little ones!

farnhamstj
10-04-2009, 05:19 PM
The single most important part is that the child is secure in the car seat and you are watching the road not the child while driving. We all do it,turn around to have a polite conversation about not touching your little sister. Stay off the cell phone and drive safe.
Stop by any Fire Station and they will check out your set up for free. We rarely used the latches, the seatbelt pulled out and locked into mode was just easier for us. We had some sleeping bag thing that stayed in the car seat.http://www.target.com/b/186-1010221-2978247?node=13760421&ref=tgt_adv_XSHA3103&AFID=googlestr&CPNG=baby&LNM=baby_bunting_bag&LID=

Good luck, mine are now 5 and 3.

Bikeman
10-04-2009, 06:46 PM
No problem with my 1997, even off-road, and IMO, the Land Cruiser I feel would be safer due to the strength of a worldwide-spec chassis, and more back seat room.

Hulk
10-04-2009, 07:16 PM
If you pull the seat belt all the way, it will ratchet back tightly so you can install any seat securely. The latch system isn't any safer, it's just much easier. I had two seats in the back of my 1996 Land Cruiser for many years. Now I have one kid with no seat and one kid with only a booster. :)

lfd270ben
10-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Put it in, go to a fire station and get them to check it out better safe then sorry.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-07-2009, 12:04 PM
I also have a FJ Cruiser..I put our child seat in the middle with the latches when I just have one kid, I have the same issue you have when behind the seat in our FJ and in our Volvo wagon..

We also have an older (2000) vw EUROVAN Camper, no latches. I slid the car seat harness fastner through the seat belt loop, where the plastic connector is that rests just at the bottom of the back support..Hope that makes since. Then I tighten the strap. Seems to work ok.

I also have a 1995 Landcrusier and you may be able to flip the seat forward enough to also use the hooks the seat uses and then put the seat back in place? just a guess.

The hospital where you are having your kid hatched probably has a person that is an expert, trained and certified to help you figure it out..

St. Joe's is where we had our last 2 and the guy just had us pull our car around before we went home and helped us install it.

Hope this is helpful.