PDA

View Full Version : new white river supervisor

nuclearlemon
10-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Comments by Scott Fitzwilliams, new White River Forest Supervisor in the Aspen Daily
Go here to read more.
http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20091004/ASPENWEEKLY/910029983/1078/NONE&parentprofile=1078

"In the White River National Forest, he sees some of the same old battles being fought. For example, conservationists are making a big effort in the Hidden Gems Wilderness Campaign to add 400,000 acres of specially protected lands in Colorado. The majority of those lands, but not all of them, are on the White River. Fitzwilliams would like to redirect that effort into on-the-ground projects, like watershed restoration.

“Making everything Wilderness, or 400,000 acres of Wilderness, I just don't think that's a priority right now,”he said. “The forest is in pretty darn good shape.

“To me, the conservation challenge of the next century is not should we make it Wilderness or not, or should we lease it (for natural gas development) or not, or should this little area be open to ATVs,” he said. “The battle is how are we going to collaboratively grow and prosper.”

He wants the White River staff and the people in the communities surrounded by the national forest to set their sights on bigger issues, like the health of the national forest and the private lands it borders."whi

Red_Chili
10-06-2009, 07:45 AM
You beat me to it again Ige!! Goodonya.

WOW. FINALLY we have a White River supervisor who MAKES FRIGGIN' COMMON SENSE!!!

It's not about locking stuff up as Wilderness (which severely limits options in managing forest health, ironically enough). It is about FOREST HEALTH and working with the entire community.

Gonna compose an email by golly, soon as I have a minit.

farnhamstj
10-06-2009, 03:01 PM
:camping: