PDA

View Full Version : OEM steel wheels

subzali
10-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Alright, finally got some tires mounted on the OEM steelies (disc) that I had sitting around. I think they are 235/75/15 Big O A/Ts, like really old ones. But I wanted to get something on so I could mount up the rims to see how they looked.

What do you think of the street treads (to save my MT/Rs from an early death by highway travel)?

I'm thinking they look a little silly...but maybe that's ok? I think I've probably gone too far to go back to stock sized tires, but I'm also wondering about the potential clash of the Brahma silver with the OEM gray.

wesintl
10-06-2009, 08:58 PM
tad small looking but i'm always one for function over form. Run 'em!

RicardoJM
10-07-2009, 06:48 AM
but I'm also wondering about the potential clash of the Brahma silver with the OEM gray.

I know a place where we can take Brahma and make the color whatever you want it to be. :D

The rims look very great, you might want to get a bit more air in the tires. As long as the tires are good, run em.

MDH33
10-07-2009, 06:59 AM
Strange seeing Brahma without the white wagon wheels. But, you can't go wrong with stock steel wheels and caps. Now you just need a matching spare. :thumb:

Jacket
10-07-2009, 09:41 AM
I think it looks fine - very "international." As long as those tires aren't dried out and cracked, then sure.

But if the Tundra is now your DD, then I'm not sure having extra tires is necessary/worth it for Brahma.

Hulk
10-07-2009, 10:45 AM
I like the look, but the tires are a little smallish.

subzali
10-07-2009, 09:03 PM
I know a place where we can take Brahma and make the color whatever you want it to be. :D

The rims look very great, you might want to get a bit more air in the tires. As long as the tires are good, run em.

I have grown to like the silver, but I think I now know at least one reason why Toyota didn't offer it as a factory color...

And yes, I know all my tires are low on air. I'm on the verge of getting a 12V air compressor since I despise pay-for-air at gas stations but I don't want to drive 40-50 miles at 12 mpg to go to my parent's house and pump up my tires - which will probably end up costing me more in gas than to pay for the air :rolleyes:

And my OBA project is on hold since I didn't get it done whilst in the middle of my power steering conversion...really wish I had gotten it done :rant:

I think it looks fine - very "international." As long as those tires aren't dried out and cracked, then sure.

But if the Tundra is now your DD, then I'm not sure having extra tires is necessary/worth it for Brahma.

The tires seem okay, but I still need to look at the DOT stamp and see how old they are. They are at least 3 or 4 tread designs old though...

Does "international" mean that my wheels and tires aren't matched all around the vehicle? :D

And yes, that thought crossed my mind. I had to use my OEM jack and my star lug wrench to put these babies on (read: kind of a pain in the butt), but in a couple weeks I'm probably going to want my MT/Rs for the Spooky Night Run, so off they'll have to come again. And the last time I drove the Land Cruiser before a couple days ago was when I did my Argentine Pass run at the end of August...basically it only gets driven if I'm heading to a trail. So it's almost not worth it. I'm kinda waffling on this right now...

ElliottB
10-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Cool Jeep.... what year is it? :lmao:

Corbet
10-07-2009, 09:50 PM
I like them even if they are on the small side. Its just road miles. But make sure they are not too old:thumb:

subzali
10-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Strange seeing Brahma without the white wagon wheels. But, you can't go wrong with stock steel wheels and caps. Now you just need a matching spare. :thumb:

You weren't around back in these days were you? :D
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=691&stc=1&d=1137620797

The last 3 digits are 097 - which I think means these tires were made in the 9th week of 1997. Agree? Not sure I should run them...

MDH33
10-14-2009, 10:06 AM
You weren't around back in these days were you? :D

The last 3 digits are 097 - which I think means these tires were made in the 9th week of 1997. Agree? Not sure I should run them...

Nope, never saw the black wheels.

If they look dry rotted, then replace them. Some 32x9.50 Swamper TSL Radials would look good on those stock steel wheels. :cool:

subzali
10-14-2009, 10:13 AM
they look fine. But DOT recommend not using them if they're more than 10 years old.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-14-2009, 10:15 AM
The wheels look awesome!

jacdaw
10-14-2009, 11:07 AM
I love how that looks. If you want new tires, I have a set of 7.00-15 Yoko mud service pizza cutters (roughly 30x6) see this post:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=99745&postcount=1

I bought them in January but I sold the disc brake stock wheels to Ricardo so the tires are now available.

wesintl
10-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Thank god we have dot and other govt regulations to save us from ourselves.

subzali
10-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Martin, didn't see that exact size. 32x10.50 TSL radial has a 9" tread width...

I am leaning toward a 33x12.50 for my next set of tires, so I could probably mount those on my white rims.

And then I could get some BFG A/T 33x9.50s for the stock steelies :)