PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Town Run 2006

bh4rnnr
04-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Tentative dates are for july 22 and 23rd 2006. Right now we are going to be going over Mosquito Pass(from 285) into Leadville. Stop at the mining museum in Leadville(lots of great history there), have lunch then head out. Head to the top of Hagerman Pass. From there we will head back down and make camp in Camp Hale. Sunday we will head over Ptarmigan Pass and McAllister Gulch to form a loop. Depending on snow melt, we may not be able to do Mosquito. If that is the case, we will go over Weston Pass to get to Leadville. If you missed last years run, be sure to mark it on the calendar for this year. :beer:

Romer
04-02-2006, 09:01 PM
So, is the trail condusive to Yodder's (Stracraft 10RT) and My (Jayco Baja 10Z) new pop ups. They are called offroad, but I wouldn't take them on Chinamons.

bh4rnnr
04-04-2006, 10:25 PM
After talking with Ben(he is thinking about getting one), he said he would have takin it on the trails that we did on last years Ghost Town Run. The trails this year sholdnt be any more difficult. I think Nathaniel was talking about heading up friday night and leaving his pop up camper at the campsite in Camp Hale.

nuclearlemon
04-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Tentative dates are for july 23 and 24th 2006. :
that's sunday and monday? :confused:

subzali
04-04-2006, 10:47 PM
From my little outing (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=675) last fall I wouldn't suggest taking a trailer over Mosquito with a carbureted vehicle. Had a *little* lack of power at 13,000 feet, barely grunted itself up the little steep section near the pass. A locked 80 will do wonders for those high-altitude whoopdeedoos though.

JadeRunner
04-05-2006, 08:25 AM
We could do it for sure with our newer rigs pulling them. Just air down the trailer tires. Not sure how fun it would be bouncing a trailer over all those long bumpy roads though.

Romer
04-05-2006, 09:07 AM
We could do it for sure with our newer rigs pulling them. Just air down the trailer tires. Not sure how fun it would be bouncing a trailer over all those long bumpy roads though.

So why are you buying an offroad camper? :D

Groucho
04-05-2006, 09:09 AM
I believe that the backcountry guide says that Ptarmigan and McAllister are moderate trail ratings, but only for a few sections on each. My trailer is a '92 Coleman, and while I have plans to put springs under it that would allow for bigger tires, I probably won't drag it over all of the trails just yet. I was toying with going up Friday afternoon and getting it set up for Saturday. It might be nice to have more folks w/trailers do the same to get kind of a group area set-up.

I concurr that the trailers designed for off-road use would have no problems.

The dates should be July 22nd and 23rd. More details to come. :woot:

wesintl
04-05-2006, 09:34 AM
The dates should be July 22nd and 23rd. More details to come. :woot:

Thanks Nathaniel. I added it to the calendar. Looking forward to more info once you guys hammer out the details :bowdown:

Hulk
04-05-2006, 10:15 AM
I've run Ptarmigan several times. It's got great scenery. A bunch of water crossings towards the end. Definitely an easy trail. I took a group up there a few years back for a family reunion, that included a stock Jeep and a Ford Exploder. Everyone had fun, no one got stuck.

nakman
04-05-2006, 10:31 AM
A group camper outing would be a blast, hopefully we can do this as well. I'd be a lot more into dropping the popup off then going wheeling, than wheeling with the popup though. Not that it couldn't do it, but all that bouncing around only makes things looser and not work as well. It's just veneer, plywood, & wood screws..

And Groucho, let's set a date to build up our trailers. I've been planning on a spring over and bigger tires too, already got the tires in fact. I also need to weld on a receiver hitch & some sliders.. but I ran out of runway to get it all done before Moab so will have to be this summer some time.

Also, if the dates for this are indeed July 22-23, then we should make a strong effort to keep the last weekend of July (29-30) open, because that's when the Boulder Ranger district has us penciled in for our Jenny Creek/Yankee Doodle Lake/mud bog resto project.

Groucho
04-05-2006, 12:10 PM
I'm up for that! Indeed, not enough time before Moab. Keep it on the front burner. We'll have to gauge interest in bringing trailers up beforehand. I will also have to assess the camping situation around Camp Hale to do so.

Perry and I will keep everybody updated.

And Groucho, let's set a date to build up our trailers. I've been planning on a spring over and bigger tires too, already got the tires in fact. I also need to weld on a receiver hitch & some sliders.. but I ran out of runway to get it all done before Moab so will have to be this summer some time.

farnhamstj
05-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Mosquito is bouncy but doable with trailer. Ptarmagan is a dirt road. Farnham's family has it on the calender. Great time last year. There is plenty of camping at Camp Hale. If Mango is open in Redcliff, (supposed to open next week 5/25) well worth stopping at. Rumor has it they will have a new roof top deck with the same great margs and fish tacos. We'll be in my neck of the woods can't wait. Should have the hot dogger installed by then. Is Wearimans(sp?) on the route? was fun until Nova guides leved for their Hummer tours. Lime creek is also fun and finishes near Shrine pass/ Vail pass. If there is any planning that I can help with please ask.

treerootCO
05-19-2006, 11:30 PM
Isn't Ptarmigan pass connected to Muddy pass? My dad drove down Muddy Pass in the K5 and I'm pretty sure the wheels were locked the whole way down. More of a controlled skid than wheeling.

farnhamstj
05-20-2006, 10:41 PM
No muddy pass is near Kremling off hwy 40. Ptarmagan pass is the top of resolution mountain road(fr708) 11765ft very much a road.Black dot on map,2wd gravel/dirt. Not paved but almost. From the pass you woud go down Wearyman jeep trail(fr 747) ,well graded for Hummer tours 2 years ago. It is typically run the other direction. Up shrine pass rd rt turn at confuence of turkey and Wearyma creek. During run off there are a few stream crossings that can be unlifted rockerpanel deep but uneventful. Forest services calls it "challenging but not too difficult 4 wheel drive road" I believe it could be done in a Subaru if water levels are low. Don't get me wrong vey beautiful and worth driving of you've never been but easy in my book (starbuks parking lot was way more chalanging). It is 5.7 miles camp hale to Shrine pass rd. At one time there was a more chalanging route down Wilder gulch tr to Vail pass but that's been closed to motors for the 9 years I've been here.(good MTB trail) If desired I'd recomed run it in AM, luch at Mango's in Redcliff, Then Lime creek in the afternoon. Has a couple 4wd sections and a good(scary when wet) hillclimb. Ends up at shrine Pass and 2 miles out to Vail Pass. As a thought We might check on the Availability of Fowler-hillard Hut and see about spending the night at the top of Ptarmagan pass. www.huts.org (looks like no spaces available that weekend)

treerootCO
05-21-2006, 01:55 AM
Has anyone run the 4wd road into Aspen? I have lived in Colorado for 29 years and had never been to Aspen so we drove up there last year. As you drop into the valley from the main road it is a forest service road off to the left.

farnhamstj
05-21-2006, 06:02 PM
Are you talking about Pearl Pass?

DesertRat
05-21-2006, 07:46 PM
You can head up Aspen Mtn and go over Taylor or you can head up to Ashcroft which will take you to Pearl

treerootCO
05-21-2006, 08:37 PM
FR106 looks like it runs over Independence Pass to the South. Maybe an old route over Independence.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/whiteriver/rangerdistricts/aspen_sopris/index.shtml

looks like it is called Lincoln Creek
Perl is FR 102

Shark Bait
05-21-2006, 09:11 PM
I LOVE Pearl Pass and would be up for that run later this year, either mid-August or early September. :D :smokin:

Groucho
05-24-2006, 04:31 PM
I LOVE Pearl Pass and would be up for that run later this year, either mid-August or early September. :D :smokin:

The folks have done the Triple Bypass (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=1477) club run every year for at least 5 years. Last year we started in Crested Butte, went over Pearl to Ashcroft, Back over Taylor and then on to Italian Creek. It has ALWAYS been a CLUB run, and while the pass line up has changed from year to year (Schofield Pass instead of Italian Creek), there has never been much CLUB interest. Pretty sad.

I think interested club members should buck up and see if this should be continued, cuz I think the folks are just about ready to ditch the run for lack of interest.

I always loved this run. It is the best with a good group of folks.

I just realized I hijacked my/perry's thread to rant:rant: . Oops!:D

wesintl
05-24-2006, 04:42 PM
I really want to do the triple bypass this year. Last year timing wasn't right for me. The diesel is a little slow but I love pearl and taylor. The elks are my favorite and the old stomping ground having bummed in CB and Aspen. Talk about extremes :eek:

2 summer trips I want to do are Ghost Town and Triple bypass. I hope I don't have visitors in from out of town when these events occur. Anyway these dates can be nailed down even further or put up a tentative weekend for triple bypass?

Seldom Seen
05-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Timing didn't work out for the 3bypass last year. Hope to make it this year.

Map to Lincoln creek that 'Root is talking about. Looks doable

Three Wheel Ben
05-24-2006, 05:09 PM
I'm in definitely for Ghost Town this year. Also timing was bad for triple, would like to do it this year (Read I am going). Ghost town last year was a blast. Maybe this year I'll leave the big blue tarp home.

ben

bh4rnnr
05-24-2006, 05:19 PM
I'm in definitely for Ghost Town this year. Also timing was bad for triple, would like to do it this year (Read I am going). Ghost town last year was a blast. Maybe this year I'll leave the big blue tarp home.

ben

But then we will not be able to no where you are:eek::lmao: :hill:

Groucho
05-25-2006, 05:52 AM

ben

And you won't get your picture in the trails!!!!!:lmao: :lmao: :photo: :photo:

Groucho
05-25-2006, 05:54 AM
Hey Perry. What do you think? I suggest that during new business at the June meeting, we solicit all of the input from interested parties to help put together he final plans? Thats my suggestion.

bh4rnnr
05-25-2006, 08:11 AM
Hey Perry. What do you think? I suggest that during new business at the June meeting, we solicit all of the input from interested parties to help put together he final plans? Thats my suggestion.

I'm game. Might have time to meet up once with you to. If not, maybe treeroot?

Groucho
05-25-2006, 08:49 AM
I'm game. Might have time to meet up once with you to. If not, maybe treeroot?
I guess Mike is ok. :D JK, yeah, that werks.

subzali
05-25-2006, 06:10 PM
I've been planning on it, gotta get a confirmation with my parents, and maybe they'll come too!

Wait, you're talking about the ghost town run still right? Or triple bypass? These are two separate weekends right? I've been planning on ghost town July 23-24, might be able to swing the triple bypass too depending on what else is going on...

Groucho
05-25-2006, 09:58 PM
Correct. Ghost Town run will be July 22-23. 3-Bypass is usually the 3rd weekend in August.

wesintl
05-26-2006, 08:35 AM
3-Bypass is usually the 3rd weekend in August.

Ok.. 3rd weekend is the Rally this year. I actually wouldn't mind if we did it labor day as it gives us another day to get there and back but it's not my decision. :)

Nathanial could you have your folks look at the calendar and see if there is a weekend that works? Bill is talking about trying to reschedule the jenny creek workday maybe the weekend before. :thumb:

Groucho
05-26-2006, 09:06 AM
3rd week in Aug is gone (due to TLCA rally), and Labor day weekend is in the works for the Ouray Trip details, so that is out. We'll look at the calendar for that, and in the meantime I will start another "official" triple bypass 2006 thread.

Ghost Town Run---Please, all those with ideas for side trips, main trips, etc., post or repost your ideas here with a POST TITLE "TRIP IDEAS" so Perry, Mike and I can sort thru them to help formulate the best plan from your suggestions.

Aaron Bailey
05-26-2006, 09:34 AM
Yo Nathaniel, you have more important things going on the third week of August (19th) anyways :-)

nakman
05-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Still hoping this run will incorporate dragging the camping trailers that you, me, Romer, Yoder, & others all have and want to bring. We're planning on going if the run will accommodate. Ideal run would be a scenic off-road drive to a camp site, then we all ditch the trailers to do a more technical loop, then return to the campsite. Next day drive out a different way. Of course, I have no idea where to do this! :blah:

Groucho
05-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Still hoping this run will incorporate dragging the camping trailers that you, me, Romer, Yoder, & others all have and want to bring. We're planning on going if the run will accommodate. :blah:

Plan is still to drop popups at Camp Hale for the camping area. When and how may still depend on the first pass of the day.

Groucho
05-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Yo Nathaniel, you have more important things going on the third week of August (19th) anyways :-)

Cough! Cough! I think I won't be able to make it! I am comming down with something!:D

farnhamstj
05-30-2006, 01:52 PM
Idea #1Add a stop at Mango's in Redcliff, Either sat pm or sunday afternoon. They just built a new roof deck. Fish taco and Nacho are the "Best in Colorado" as voted by Farnham St. John. Marg's are good too, but factor in driving.
Idea #2 add Lime creek(fr to the run. Ptamagan(fr702)/Wearymans(fr747)from Camp Hale and back on McAllister's (fr708) are both beautiful but in no way chalanging and should take but a few hours to do. After leaving Camp Hale roll up shrine pass rd. Left on Lime creek, Rejoins Shrine pass near Vail Pass and closer to Denver for anyone that lives that direction. Also doable with a pop-up trailer.

Hulk
05-30-2006, 10:43 PM
Idea #1Add a stop at Mango's in Redcliff, Either sat pm or sunday afternoon. They just built a new roof deck.
Got hammered there a few years ago on their "pure tequila" margaritas. A friend drove my 40 back to Vail.
:boozer:

Karst8835
05-31-2006, 07:53 PM
I plan on attending the Ghost Town run.

Jack

Groucho
06-01-2006, 09:11 AM
Spoke with Eric(?) at Mango's yesterday. Seems as though restorations are being completed from tearing down a 700 SQ FT building and putting up a 3000 SQ FT building/Patio mix.:party: I will be getting copies of the new and improved menu sometime next week. Maybe in time for the meeting. Seems like all the old favorites are sticking around, but they will be adding burgers and maybe pizza.

I am hoping to make this the lunch stop on Sunday, July 23. Seems like a highly regarded place with great food and drink and a new patio to hang out and catch some rays on during lunch. Might be a nice twist for the Ghost Town run.
:yeahdude: :woot:

As for Lime creek, that is also being looked at.

Camping at Camp Hale accepts reservations, however the GROUP SITE at East Fork Campground is reserved (which would have been the way to go). The Camp Hale Memorial Campground has several sites which will be reserved in the clubs name by the end of the week.

See the map:
http://www.camphale.org/Assets/TCRA_Area.pdf

Anyone else with ideas?

Groucho
06-08-2006, 08:49 AM
Here is the detailed info form.:thumb:

CBone
06-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Not sure if there is a formal sign up, but I plan on attending this run. It will be my first with the Rising Sun club and I am really looking forward to it.

Romer
06-22-2006, 09:24 PM
We plan on coming, read that as two trucks (Rachel, Sarah and me) and our camper. I see the reservation links and wanted to make sure we are doing what the others are? I do have a generator if there is no power at the campground.

I think we should collect who is bringing trailers (US) and then make sure we can get them together at whatever place we go.

Groucho
06-23-2006, 06:52 AM
That is where we made our reservations. Friday night and saturday night. We'll (anyone who wants to camp that night, pop-up or otherwise) be driving up friday afternoon, then saturday morning we'll meet the group at Fairplay. A little extra wheeling for us.

I checked with reserveamerica.com this morning and there are 3 sites left. I think we could squeeze a couple tent campers into sites if need be.

See the .pdf file for other campsites in the area.

nuclearlemon
06-23-2006, 07:46 AM
i'm in sight 20

Romer
06-23-2006, 09:23 AM
Looks like I can make a reservation, but it says only one car per site. Do you know if there is a spot Rachel could park her 4runner?

Three Wheel Ben
06-23-2006, 09:44 AM
I'm in #9 Fri & Sat:thumb:

Romer
06-23-2006, 09:59 AM
I made the resrvation for spot #21 and its not on the map. Just have to figure out about Rachel's truck because it says only 1 car. Is this a monitored or unmonitored camp ground.

Hulk
06-23-2006, 11:30 AM
Ken, I think you'll be OK. They just charge an extra fee for another vehicle. I copied this off the Reserve America web site.

Important Information
Reservations must be made at least 4 days in advance. This campground requires a 2 night stay on weekends. This campground requires a 3 night holiday weekend stay. An additional fee will be collected on-site for extra vehicle. There is no electric/water/sewer site hook-ups at this campground. Reservations are taken from 05/27/05 THROUGH 09/04/05. Sites may be available on a first come - first served basis outside the reservation season. All equipment must fit on the site pad. Vehicles park in developed areas only. Water available from hand pump in picnic ground.

Hulk
06-23-2006, 11:32 AM
I think we booked the last available site, #12, for Friday & Saturday nights. I'm looking forward to this! Had a great time last year.

There is one site, #5, which cannot be reserved -- it's first come, first served.

Groucho
06-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Pre run will bring good news. Look for that info within a week or so. The "one car" thing is to limit parking. I seem to remember a parking lot a very short distance from the CG. :thumb: It was near the actual Memorial for Camp Hale. I am going to go out on a limb and say we'll have no problems with 2 vehicles to a site. :robbie: :kevin: :campfire:

Looks like I can make a reservation, but it says only one car per site. Do you know if there is a spot Rachel could park her 4runner?

Romer
06-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Ken, I think you'll be OK. They just charge an extra fee for another vehicle. I copied this off the Reserve America web site.

Important Information
Reservations must be made at least 4 days in advance. This campground requires a 2 night stay on weekends. This campground requires a 3 night holiday weekend stay. An additional fee will be collected on-site for extra vehicle. There is no electric/water/sewer site hook-ups at this campground. Reservations are taken from 05/27/05 THROUGH 09/04/05. Sites may be available on a first come - first served basis outside the reservation season. All equipment must fit on the site pad. Vehicles park in developed areas only. Water available from hand pump in picnic ground.

I was thinking we would find a place for it. Tried to pay the fee by saying two vehicles and it would not let me.

Hulk
06-23-2006, 12:48 PM
I went camping near Leadville this last weekend, and the campground rules had been changed. You only had to pay for an extra vehicle after the first two.

I'm sure they'll take your money on-site for the extra vehicle.

wesintl
06-23-2006, 02:09 PM
I'm a 99% in. Do i need to reserve a spot? It'll just be me, my tent, and my truck....

Groucho
06-23-2006, 02:59 PM
Sounds like all of the reservable campsites at Camp Hale Memorial CG are taken, except for the one first-come, first-served site. I think that we will be grabbing that one in the clubs name if we can get it.
There are 3 or 4 other campsites right nearby.

I'm a 99% in. Do i need to reserve a spot? It'll just be me, my tent, and my truck....

Hulk
06-23-2006, 04:45 PM
The sites are big enough for a large trailer, and they said up to 10 people. So Wes, you could share a spot with us, or Ige, or someone else. I bet it will be fine.

I just camped up in a Nat'l Forest campground last weekend, and we had three very large tents in one site. The campground host came by and talked to us for a while, never mentioned a word about all the tents.

subzali
06-24-2006, 11:21 PM
I'm coming too! So far just me, my tent and my truck, but maybe add one other person and maybe a third person with a truck.

nakman
07-02-2006, 08:51 PM
We're in for wheeling on Saturday, but have to miss out on the camping- too much other stuff going on that weekend. I did get the trailer sprung over though.

So hope to see y'all in Fairplay at 09:00.. if you're hung over I'll be laughing on the outside, but jealous on the inside.. :rolleyes: :cheers: :drink:

Groucho
07-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Just got back from a one-day suicide mission to pre-run this trip. Started at 7am, got back into town about 5:30pm. And yes, there was some speeding going on on the paved roads.

Mosquito Pass--Still closed due to snow at the top mine. 1 more drift just beyond that. Snow was melting like crazy. Run-off was awesome! Might have to detour over slightly longer, slightly easier Weston Pass. No problem!

Weston Pass--Rough dirt road on the east side, not maintained for "low clearance vehicles" on the west side. Not difficult, but my passengers today thought the scenery was incredible.

Leadville Mining Museum--If I know ahead of time how many, we have a high likelyhood of getting 1/2 off regular admission for a group. So that means the regular price for everyone would drop from $6 to $3. I snuck a peek and that place is worth the stop if you even slightly like history of the area.

(Passed Hagerman Pass--Too much lightning to attempt today)

Camp Hale--Camp Hale memorial Campground is pretty sweet. Not as sweet as last years find 'o the century, but still pretty sweet. Plenty of room as exhibited by the photographs. The hosts seemed to not mind multiple pop-ups in the same space, and plenty of room for 2 rigs. PLUS-Camp Hale looks as if it is "dispersed camping" all over the place. It is a nice open valley with plenty of room, and folks seemed to be putting up their gear on just about any place that seemed reasonable. I'll have to check with the ranger about that, but I think as a group we're good to go.

McAllister Gulch, Ptarmigan Pass and Lime Creek trail--Reports from folks who were coming down said that it was passable. More to come.

Mango's Restaurant--We might be out of luck here. I spoke with Eric 3 weeks ago, and he said he'd be ready. It was closed still for construction. It looks like a good weeks worth of work would get it running, but remember we're talking about Red Cliff. It looks to be an awesome place to hang out for lunch if possible. This will have to be a friday night verify for those of us who are going up friday night to camp.

Shrine pass--Open to I-70.

Got a few photos of the campground spaces so folks know what we got. The #5 space that is first come first served (according to info earlier) was occupied by the CG hosts. so while we'll try to get anything not spoken for on friday afternoon, it might not be.

This should not be a rush-rush run, as long as either mosquito is open, or if not we go over weston. Plenty of time should be available to see the sights and keep things rolling.

Remember, the meeting place is at the Gas company just before the Phillips 66 in Fairplay. Leaving 9 AM. Plenty of camping at Camp Hale, just not necessarily in the CG. Please post on or before July 5 so I can try to get the group rate at the museum. Or let me know at the meeting wednesday.

See you all there!:thumb:

Any questions, post em.

bh4rnnr
07-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Was wondering how the pre-run went today.... Thanks for the leg work Nathaniel:thumb: . Totoaly for got to make reservations for the campground but looks like Ige is willing to put up with me for a night:eek: . Hopefully Mosquito will be open by the time we get there. If we had Robbie, i'm sure he'd be up for the challange of moving snow:hill: . I second the Museum. Way cool place!! Thanks again!:beer: :beer:

Groucho
07-05-2006, 10:03 AM
This is the list I have so far.

groucho
wesintl
lexusben
treerootCO
bh4rnnr
bruce miller
subzali
cj7 matt
farnham (& Co)
karst8835 (jack)
cbonilla
romer
d.o.r.
nuclearlemon
hulk
sno-bored
rezarf
Uncle Ben
Nakman
Alan Podvin
Nick F.

Those of you on the list so far, if you could indicate how many will be coming with you so we can get a group rate at the museum, that would be awesome.

If your name is not on this list, PLEASE PM Groucho directly. There are 21 rigs as of 7-11-06. We'll always try to make room.

There will be a few of us who are heading up early afternoon Friday (21st)to Camp Hale to camp friday night as well. Anybody who is planning this, post when you are going to be leaving town, maybe we can caravan. Plan is to leave Camp Hale sat morning and meet the group in Fairplay by 9am.

sno bored
07-05-2006, 11:22 AM
I am planning on going. Just me, my truck and a tent.

Hulk
07-05-2006, 11:59 AM
How kid friendly is the mining museum? We'll have four of us total: me, Karie, Maddie (age:4) and Charlie (age:2). We'll be camping Friday night. Not sure when we'll roll in. Good chance we'll be there about 4 p.m.

Groucho
07-05-2006, 01:42 PM
How kid friendly is the mining museum?

I snuck a peek. Total family activity. Real life stuff, glass case stuff, pictures, etc.

http://www.mininghalloffame.org/

and especially here:
http://www.mininghalloffame.org/museum.htm

Plus it is in and A/C indoor location. Refuge from anything from rain to sun.

Romer
07-05-2006, 03:22 PM
will it will be me dor and maybe rod as well.

nuclearlemon
07-05-2006, 06:24 PM
just me in my group

treerootCO
07-05-2006, 08:18 PM
How kid friendly is the mining museum?...

I thought the best part was the kids section:o The top floor was just too :confused: for me.

As far as a fianl count goes....I think it will just me me and my rig. I believe both my mom and dad have to work the weekend.

Should I bring the chains? Mosquito might need some drifts made trailer friendly.

farnhamstj
07-06-2006, 09:17 AM
Farnham will have wife and 2 kids(ages 2 and under). I believe some of my crew that attended 6/7 meeting will be there also. I'll check with them today. Hey how'd the pre run go? Sorry I couldn't make it. Went to Minnesota for the weekend. Ya sure, you betcha.

Rezarf
07-06-2006, 10:25 PM
I am planning on running this one, myself the 40 and my lady friend. I heard rumors that the camp sites are all full... does anyone have room for two small tents?

Drew

treerootCO
07-06-2006, 10:32 PM
I am planning on running this one, myself the 40 and my lady friend. I heard rumors that the camp sites are all full... does anyone have room for two small tents?

Drew

yes but only if your lady friend has friends :D

Groucho
07-07-2006, 08:03 AM
And as of today I believe that we have a count of 34 individuals in 17 rigs. :thumb: :camping: :woot: Can't wait!

Groucho
07-07-2006, 08:05 AM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :party:

Three Wheel Ben
07-07-2006, 08:48 AM
As far as i know so far it's only going to be me and my youngest daughter so we will probably have extra room in the site for someone.

Gmann
07-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Hello everyone. I just wanted to post here, that I am planning to go on the Ghost Town run. Thanks

Brent and the TOY TACO

Romer
07-08-2006, 05:15 PM
A logistics question for Sunday. I need to drop Rachel off in the mid afternoon, so trying to figure out how best to do that. I assume I should take my trailer with me in the AM on Sunday. What time is the planned runs going to be over? And if I needed to split off, when and where should I do that?

Rezarf
07-08-2006, 07:24 PM

Well of course she has friends... who dates a recluse?

However, I don't think any of her friends will be attending the trip. ;)

So, I am hearing there is room for a few extra tents? Can anyone confirm?

Thanks, I am very excited for this trip, didn't the trails cover this last year?

Drew

subzali
07-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Might have CJ7 Matt along as well, probably sharing a tent with me but that's one more rig, albeit a J**P (we'll just have to keep it out of the pictures;) :lmao: )

Hulk
07-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Go ahead and count us in for the mining museum. My kids will probably try to take home all the rocks. Two adults, two kids: ages 2 and 4.

Groucho
07-09-2006, 11:01 AM
We're all lined up. 1/2 price. Since we will have more than 30 people, we can get as many as we want in at 1/2 price admission. It will be a blast!

bh4rnnr
07-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Might have CJ7 Matt along as well, probably sharing a tent with me but that's one more rig, albeit a J**P (we'll just have to keep it out of the pictures;) :lmao: )

We will keep him in the back with Wes:hill: :lmao:

Romer
07-09-2006, 12:51 PM
A logistics question for Sunday. I need to drop Rachel off in the mid afternoon, so trying to figure out how best to do that. I assume I should take my trailer with me in the AM on Sunday. What time is the planned runs going to be over? And if I needed to split off, when and where should I do that?

Just thought I would ask it again

bh4rnnr
07-09-2006, 02:46 PM

Nathaniel could probably answer this better for you, as I have not been on the trails that are planned for Sunday.

Karst8835
07-09-2006, 03:35 PM
This is Karst8835 - There are two of us and wew do not have a camp site.

farnhamstj
07-09-2006, 05:43 PM
There is really no shortage of campsites at Camp Hale. The official sites hold limited #'s but the rest of the area is covered with RV and tents along the forest service roads that come in and out of the area. For Romer. You can leave your trailer in camphale. Wearyman's and McCalasters are both loops that are in and out of camphale area. I did Wearymans today. 2 hours from RedCliff to CampHale. Went up to crux of McCalasters and my friends stock ford couldn't get up So we turned around and went back down. Stopped by Mango's they insist they'll be open by that weekend. One of the owners Tim has a 78 fj 40 w/33k. They'd love us to stop in. I'm trying to talk him into joining us for part of it.
?'s for the trail leader. Are we going up Wearymans form the north(redcliff) into camphale? then up McCalasters and back down into camp hale?

Romer
07-09-2006, 08:36 PM
Is it better to take highway 91 and Freemont Pass out of Frisco and then north on 24 or take I-70 to Highway 24 to get to Camp Hale? How are we getting to Fairplay on Saturday morning from Camp Hale? Just wondering what time we would have to get up on Saturday to get to Fairplay by 9?

Groucho
07-09-2006, 08:54 PM

and I missed the original post with the question. Sorry, Ken. If one needed or wanted, the lunch stop in Redcliff would be an opportune time to pack up and head out. Redcliff is only 10-15 minutes north of Camp Hale via US 24. You could head out after lunch south to Camp Hale, hook up the trailer, and head back north on US 24 to Minturn and I-70. From there its only 2-2.5 hours home. The whole trail system there lends itself to easy outs if weather or problems show up.

Sunday in Camp Hale has us leaving and going north on McAlister Gulch to Shrine Pass road. Then we were going to hit Lime Creek trail, and come back toward Redcliff for lunch. After lunch we would head back to Camp Hale via Wearymans and Ptarmigan Pass. Should put us on our way back to I-70 between 3 and 4pm. When I came home on the pre-run, we got back about 5:30pm, after cresting Vail Pass about 3:30.

To your last question Ken, we will want to head out early on Saturday(7:30-ish). We will either go over Weston Pass to Fairplay, or thru Buena Vista and up to Fairplay. To get to Camp Hale directly from Denver I would suggest taking I-70 to US 24 south.

Romer
07-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Thanks Nathanial,

I have to drop Rachel and her friend (DOR is not coming) off at a place 10 miles north of Silverthorne about 3PM

treerootCO
07-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Oh no! I'm going to miss the trike party:(

google "trike party" ;)

I might? have had a little too much to drink last year. Thank you officer for making sure I was ok :D

Hulk
07-10-2006, 07:44 PM
The belt is way cool:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i161/mikiej14/belt1.jpg

Groucho
07-10-2006, 07:46 PM
I can't believe we're going to miss this:

"new super speedgolg game".

Just up in N-Town. darn it!

bh4rnnr
07-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Sounds like fun (http://www.trikeparty.com/), I remember you telling me about this...

treerootCO
07-10-2006, 08:03 PM
The gold painted elbow macaroni just sets it apart! :D

Alan Podvin
07-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Can someone tell me where and what time to meet you Sunday I have a date on Saturday ( camp hale??) . ALso I'll have to tow my wifes piece of crap Lexus up there so where should I park to make a loop. Thanks!!
Also I'll be joining any pearl pass (triple bypass) runs I love that area somebody tell Ronny Gabrieloff he lives there and always joins

Groucho
07-11-2006, 06:49 AM
Can someone tell me where and what time to meet you Sunday I have a date on Saturday ( camp hale??) . ALso I'll have to tow my wifes piece of crap Lexus up there so where should I park to make a loop. Thanks!!
Also I'll be joining any pearl pass (triple bypass) runs I love that area somebody tell Ronny Gabrieloff he lives there and always joins

Camp Hale Memorial Campground, south side of Camp Hale. Leaving for trailhead by 9am. Park anywhere in Camp Hale.

As of today, we have 20 vehicles signed up. One rig is a Saturday only, and another is a Sunday only. So if there are any others who wish to go, please PM groucho first.

Groucho
07-11-2006, 08:22 AM
Updated 7-11-06:
This is the list I have so far.

groucho
wesintl
lexusben
treerootCO
bh4rnnr
bruce miller
subzali
cj7 matt
farnham (& Co)
karst8835 (jack)
cbonilla
romer
d.o.r.
nuclearlemon
hulk
sno-bored
rezarf
Uncle Ben
Nakman
Alan Podvin
Nick F.

Those of you on the list so far, if you could indicate how many will be coming with you so we can get a group rate at the museum, that would be awesome.

If your name is not on this list, PLEASE PM Groucho directly. There are 21 rigs as of 7-11-06. We'll always try to make room.

There will be a few of us who are heading up early afternoon Friday (21st)to Camp Hale to camp friday night as well. Anybody who is planning this, post when you are going to be leaving town, maybe we can caravan. Plan is to leave Camp Hale sat morning and meet the group in Fairplay by 9am.

bh4rnnr
07-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Wow, this i going to be a big run. Kinda odd especially since it's an overnighter. I'm looking forward to it:thumb: . Just had to put time off to go since they switched teams with me again. Oh well.

Groucho
07-11-2006, 09:14 PM
If there are any more late comers, please PM groucho. Usually someone doesn't make it, so we will try to fit anyone else in.

HOWEVER, the run is at capacity as of right now. The folks on the list are confirmed. The reason that the limit was put on was to avoid crowding and the need for 4 or more trail leaders/gunners to split the group in half.

This should be pretty awesome. Now we just need to know who will be camping in Camp Hale friday night? Roll call for this?

We will be. Leaving Denver @ 1-2 pm friday. Anyone else? :beer: :drink:

nuclearlemon
07-11-2006, 10:13 PM
If there are any more late comers, please PM groucho. Usually someone doesn't make it, so we will try to fit anyone else in.

HOWEVER, the run is at capacity as of right now. The folks on the list are confirmed. The reason that the limit was put on was to avoid crowding and the need for 4 or more trail leaders/gunners to split the group in half.

This should be pretty awesome. Now we just need to know who will be camping in Camp Hale friday night? Roll call for this?

We will be. Leaving Denver @ 1-2 pm friday. Anyone else? :beer: :drink:
i hope to be...got that day off work :)

subzali
07-11-2006, 10:32 PM
I am planning on camping in/near Camp Hale Friday night. Not sure about CJ7 Matt, I'll ask when I get a chance to talk with him.

farnhamstj
07-11-2006, 10:52 PM
We're camping friday and sat.

treerootCO
07-11-2006, 11:04 PM
I have Friday off that week so I can camp Friday. I get off work at 5:30 so I'll try to get a couple hours of sleep before the drive up there.

Hulk
07-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Nathaniel,

There is a very good possibility that Richard and Carrie Nelson (and three kids) will be joining us on this run with their LX470 (lifted and armored). They are former Windy City members who recently moved to the area. We plan to share our campsite with them.

subzali
07-14-2006, 05:51 PM
Okay, so CJ7 Matt will just be running Mosquito Pass and going to the Mining Museum with us, no camping. So just me at the Camp Hale campground Friday and Saturday nights!

Romer
07-16-2006, 08:59 PM
ROD will not be joining us for this trip, but Rachel will be bringing a friend instead. Rachel and her friend are suppose to join their youth group camping Sunday and Monday night at windy point camp ground. Niether Camp Hale or Windy Point have shower facilities. Rachel has asked me to find someplace she can take a shower in between. Anyone know of a place in the frisco/Dillion/ Silverthorne area that we can stop and the girls can take a shower?

Nick F.
07-16-2006, 09:13 PM
I understand there is not really anything too chalenging on this trip, does anybody think I will be ok in 2wd? I'm having real issues with my 4wd that I don't think I'm going to resolve by the trip. I don't want someone to have to drag me half the way :hill: But we still really want to go.

Nick F.

subzali
07-16-2006, 09:27 PM
All I know is that when I went up Mosquito last fall the weekend before it got snowed in there was one little whoopdeedoo section near the top that required low range more than anything, but you didn't really want to lose traction because it was right next to a LOOOONNNGGG dropoff, so 4 wheel drive for that section, at least more my comfort, was a must.

BTW Romer there is a hostel in Leadville where the girls can take a shower, I think it's on the north side of E. 9th street.

BTW final logistics on my end will include: myself and my friend Kelsey camping the whole weekend and going to the Mining Museum, with CJ7 Matt ONLY doing Mosquito Pass and the Mining Museum. If it's too late to add one more person to the group rate at the museum no worries, I got it covered :hill:

Groucho
07-17-2006, 05:54 AM
I understand there is not really anything too chalenging on this trip, does anybody think I will be ok in 2wd? I'm having real issues with my 4wd that I don't think I'm going to resolve by the trip. I don't want someone to have to drag me half the way :hill: But we still really want to go.

Nick F.

How bad is your trouble? Please don't bring a rig that you know is going to break down all day and burden the group by slowing the trip way down. This group would be more than happy to set up a time to help wrench on your rig in the garage, but we'd rather not plan to do it out on the trail at 12000'. If you need help once or twice there will always be someone who will be willing to give a strap(and even if someone breaks, we'll stay there 'till its fixed, don't get me wrong). Please come if you know its ok.

Yes, this trip probably could be done in 2wd, albeit it might challenge the driver. This will have to be your call.

The claim to fame of Mosquito pass is that its the highest continuous road in North America. I haven't done it personally, but I'm sure there are folks out there that have taken their VW beetle over it.

farnhamstj
07-17-2006, 09:56 AM
I don' t think 2wd is a great idea. As Subzali it's mostly a low gear issue for Mosquito pass. McCalasters gulch is steep(again low) Wearyman has a couple muddy sections that you will get stuck in this time of year. Change those u-joints and get that 4wd working. I'll give you a strap as needed though. I've got a spare 4spd t-case in Vail if needed.

sno bored
07-17-2006, 01:01 PM
Romer,
The Silverthorne rec center would be a good shower spot for the girls. It's right off of hwy 9 and I-70. I can give you directions at the ghost town run.

wesintl
07-17-2006, 03:13 PM
Romer,
The Silverthorne rec center would be a good shower spot for the girls. It's right off of hwy 9 and I-70. I can give you directions at the ghost town run.

I've been there a bunch too. Nice facility. Definatly recommended.:thumb:

Groucho
07-17-2006, 03:23 PM
I don' t think 2wd is a great idea. As Subzali it's mostly a low gear issue for Mosquito pass.
My folks were commenting to me at lunch that they probably have a picture from the 70's of them going over mosquito pass in their late 1960's VW Beetle.:yeahdude:

McCalasters gulch is steep(again low) Wearyman has a couple muddy sections that you will get stuck in this time of year.
EEWWW! Slimey!

Hulk
07-17-2006, 05:49 PM
Romer,

Not all that close to Camp Hale, though. The closest places to Camp Hale will be: Red Cliff, Minturn, Leadville and Vail. Maybe they can shower at Farnham's house?

Nick F.
07-17-2006, 10:19 PM
Groucho, please cross me off the list.:bawl: Doesn't look like is going to happen for me. I appreciate all the offers for help with my transfer case. Looks like it's going to need rebuilt, and a new universal. That's just tops on the list. I've only had it for 3weeks and the list keeps getting longer. It seems to run fine in 2wd but I really don't trust it enough to get it that far from home.
What I would appreciate if a club member with maybe a little technical expertise could come take a ride with me some night this week and and make sure I'm going in the right direction with this. I would like a second opinion.

Regards,
Nick F.

treerootCO
07-17-2006, 10:28 PM
Where are you at Nick? Are you close to Wheat Ridge?

Nick F.
07-17-2006, 10:37 PM
I'm in conifer, but I work in lakewood. I could drive it into work one day if that would help. I'm usually done about 4:30

stanmich
07-19-2006, 07:27 AM
I know I am a little late to the party here, but if you guys will have a semi-newbie-wheeler in a stock 'Runner, this sounds like fun. (Groucho, I got your reply yesterday, thanks!)

Romer
07-19-2006, 08:49 AM
Romer,

This is perfect since the campground I will be dropping them off Sunday afternoon is outside of silverthorne

Romer
07-19-2006, 09:06 AM
I called them and showers are $5. Whole facility use is $9

http://www.silverthorne.org/recreation/contact.html

Nick F.
07-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Groucho, please cross me off the list.:bawl: Doesn't look like is going to happen for me. I appreciate all the offers for help with my transfer case. Looks like it's going to need rebuilt, and a new universal. That's just tops on the list. I've only had it for 3weeks and the list keeps getting longer. It seems to run fine in 2wd but I really don't trust it enough to get it that far from home.
What I would appreciate if a club member with maybe a little technical expertise could come take a ride with me some night this week and and make sure I'm going in the right direction with this. I would like a second opinion.

Regards,
Nick F.

Just wanted to add I'm more than willing to take it to you, If someone will look at it. I just don't want to send good money after bad.

Nick F.

Rezarf
07-19-2006, 08:42 PM

I will be meeting up with y'all at 9am in Fairplay, where exactly will we meet up at?

Ben, are we still cool to set up two tents on your campsite saturday night?

I am really excited about this trip, it will be Stacy's first time camping to boot!

Drew

Groucho
07-20-2006, 05:30 AM
Meeting placeóGas Company (Propane tanks) just before HWY 9, east side of 285 in Fairplay. Leave at 9 AM sharp. This is just before you get to the Phillips 66 gas station on 285 where you can either continue straight to Buena Vista or turn right to go into Fairplay and on to Alma/Breckenridge on Hwy 9. Just in case someone needs it, HWY 285 starts out as Hampden Ave in Lakewood, and at around C-470 Hampden ends and it is only HWY 285. It is the exit just south of the Morrison road exit on C-470.

CB Channel 4. Amateur Radio 2M simplex frequency of 145.080 MHz.

subzali
07-20-2006, 06:31 AM
So us camping at Camp Hale will have to leave pretty early to get to Fairplay at that time. Are we going to drive to Avon then east on I-70 to Hwy 9 or back to Leadville and over Fremont Pass to Copper Mountain and then over to Hwy 9?

Also it looks like fires in developed pits are acceptable in Eagle County, is somebody planning on having a campfire?

Groucho
07-20-2006, 06:36 AM
So us camping at Camp Hale will have to leave pretty early to get to Fairplay at that time. Are we going to drive to Avon then east on I-70 to Hwy 9 or back to Leadville and over Fremont Pass to Copper Mountain and then over to Hwy 9?

Also it looks like fires in developed pits are acceptable in Eagle County, is somebody planning on having a campfire?

Plan is to leave Camp Hale by 7:00 am saturday. We will either go over mosquito pass into fairplay, or over weston pass. Should be able to make it to fairplay in plenty of time.

We're planning on having a campfire.

Three Wheel Ben
07-20-2006, 08:28 AM
We are heading up friday afternoon 4 or 5, right about time to get stuck in traffic:rant: . Hopefully be there by 7 or so.

We plan on having campfires both nights. What's camping without a fire:confused: :confused:

ben

nakman
07-20-2006, 10:03 AM
I thought the run on Saturday was Mosquito pass.. now you're doing it on the way to the meeting place? So what pass is going to be run on Saturday? Doesn't really matter I guess, I'll see you at 9 in Fairplay and hope to be able to push at least one button on the dash at some point during the day.. :)

Groucho
07-20-2006, 11:05 AM
I thought the run on Saturday was Mosquito pass.. now you're doing it on the way to the meeting place? So what pass is going to be run on Saturday? Doesn't really matter I guess, I'll see you at 9 in Fairplay and hope to be able to push at least one button on the dash at some point during the day.. :)

The shortest distance between two points is a line in the opposite direction.

No, seriously, those of us camping in camp hale friday will take the shourtes route to Fairplay, and as far as I can see we should have no trouble making good time over Mosquito. Then we go back again!@!

Three Wheel Ben
07-20-2006, 11:11 AM

If you were camping friday night you would get to push that button possibly on two seperate occasions:D

nakman
07-20-2006, 01:47 PM
If you were camping friday night you would get to push that button possibly on two seperate occasions
Yeah yeah.. my band's got a gig on Friday, so I can't swing it. I do get to get home at 2:00am though, then up again at 6:00! But I was at the RedBull warehouse today returning some stuff from CM, and they hooked me up with some more product. So we'll all be wide awake come Saturday! :drink: :cheers:

farnhamstj
07-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Count Farnhams family in for 7am from camp hale run. We're planning on leaving Vail about 3pm tomorow. I hope it's not raining, of course I can always get back in my truck and drive home.

treerootCO
07-20-2006, 10:33 PM
google maps likes the dirt roads:D I googled how to get to camp hale for Friday and the shortest route was over shrine pass road.

Three Wheel Ben
07-21-2006, 07:23 AM
Same on yahoo maps (same as google:confused: ). How much longer would it take to go shrine pass instead of highway??? question for those that know.

Romer
07-21-2006, 07:40 AM
I know we are planning on stopping for lunch on Sunday at Mangos?, what about saturday, just trying to see if I should bring lunch stuff for the trail.

Three Wheel Ben
07-21-2006, 07:54 AM
I know we are planning on stopping for lunch on Sunday at Mangos?, what about saturday, just trying to see if I should bring lunch stuff for the trail.

Ken, I know we will be in leadville sat around lunch (museum) you could probably pick something up quick. But there will be no waiting for you, ie holding up the group:D

Romer
07-21-2006, 08:01 AM
I was wondering what the leader was doing. We wait for him!

wesintl
07-21-2006, 10:24 AM

I thought Nathaniel said Mangos wouldn't be open...

I'm planning more hotdogger action. Romer, You need to commence with the real mods :lmao: :cheers:

Three Wheel Ben
07-21-2006, 10:50 AM
I thought Nathaniel said Mangos wouldn't be open...

I'm planning more hotdogger action. Romer, You need to commence with the real mods :lmao: :cheers:

I'm with wes on the menu will be taquitos, burritos, hot dogs, corn dogs, and sausages. mmmmmmmmmmmm:thumb:

Rezarf
07-21-2006, 02:24 PM
So are we having lunch in town?

Thanks-

Drew