PDA

View Full Version : Tire Chains

MDH33
10-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Where's the best place in Denver to get tire chains? I want a set for my FJ40 that has 34x10.5-15 tires. I've used Tirechain.com before, but I need them before the Outlaws Run and I don't have time to order them online.

:beer:

Uncle Ben
10-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Ige will know!

Since you started this thread I'll use it too. I need to borrow two sets of 31/10.50x15 chains at the end of the month for my hunting partners son-in-law who's going up with us. Anybody? I'll personally take responsibility that they stay safe. They are a "just in case" thang.

chtucker
10-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Transwest trucks is a dealer for Rudd chains http://www.rudchain.com/ They are in Combat city or Henderson.

Denver Wire Rope is a dealer for Pewag http://www.denverwirerope.com/ http://www.pewagchain.com/

I have used both, they are usually far superior to low grade stuff. If you are just going to use it as an emergency item, the cheap stuff works.

Denver Wire Rope can build whatever size you need.

nakman
10-10-2009, 04:24 PM
:kevin: I have two sets you can borrow... in fact if he likes them he can make me an offer, I never use them.

Uncle Ben
10-10-2009, 04:54 PM
:kevin: I have two sets you can borrow... in fact if he likes them he can make me an offer, I never use them.

Awesome Nak! I will take you up on that offer! :thumb::thumb: :bowdown::Nakgadget:

TIMZTOY
10-11-2009, 11:17 PM
Tire chain noon <---- as there isn't a very high demand for snow chains in key west florida, I don't have a clue what to look for. Any type or brand I should consider when getting a set ? 35 x 12.5

066wally
10-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Martin,
I got mine at Wallmart. I looked after the 40s run to see what the number was on mine, but I had tossed the label on the packaging.

On their labels they do a good job of listing what size tires they fit. I bought mine to fit 31X10.50-15s but they fit yours just as well if not better. I haven't tried them again on mine to see if I can get them tight enough but they will fit another vehicle I have too. The 31X10.50s must be on the low end of the list.

IIRC they were $40 for the pair, with tensioners included.

I've bought others at Wallmart and have always had good luck finding what cahins I needed, usually on short notice.

You can borrow my pair if you need to.

Steve

subzali
10-12-2009, 09:05 AM
UB, if for some reason you and Nakman can't hook up you can consider me as a backup.

Timztoy - take a look at tirechain.com. They have a good selection and show a bunch of different variations. For off-road use, you want something fairly heavy-duty as you'll be encountering rocks, roots, etc., sometimes at fairly high tire speeds as you claw your way up through the snow. Especially with heavy Land Cruisers, I've seen some of the dinky tire chains start breaking cross links in mere minutes of playing in the snow. I personally made my chains from old/broken 18 wheeler chains. I don't know the gauge of the chain, but they're fairly heavy duty and have worked well for me for the past 4 winters. A side benefit is that I have a lot of spare material to make any needed repairs. I have also learned more about chains by building them myself than I should probably know.

Mine are what tirechain.com would call a "heavy duty twisted link" style. A couple guys in the club are running the v-bar style, not sure how much of a difference they make.

nuclearlemon
10-12-2009, 09:48 AM
ub, tell your buddy, i got a couple sets that i'll sell cheap. don't know where they came from.

interstate turbo will have better pricing than transwest.

TIMZTOY
10-12-2009, 01:09 PM
. I personally made my chains from old/broken 18 wheeler chains. I don't know the gauge of the chain, but they're fairly heavy duty and have worked well for me for the past 4 winters. A side benefit is that I have a lot of spare material to make any needed repairs. I have also learned more about chains by building them myself than I should probably know.

I looked there yesterday. Good sight. But only had like one set for my size tire.
And I wasn't a fan of it's design. Are those modified trucker chains ok for the highway ? I'd like a set that's good for highway or at liest ok for highway, And good offroad. I'd like the sound of your modified ones. I belive that modified stuff is always better and usually stronger.

subzali
10-12-2009, 02:03 PM
well the truckers use them on the highway, so I guess...

I've only ever used them offroad, and they've worked well so far :cheers:

Inukshuk
10-12-2009, 08:07 PM
I need them before the Outlaws Run and I don't have time to order them online.:beer:

I think "need" is overkill..... but.....

Air Randy
10-12-2009, 10:57 PM
I've made lots of chains from 18 wheeler chains. They are very HD and excellent for off-road. As Matt was saying, it's nice because you can cut them to fit the really big tires sizes and still have spare cross links left over.

However, if you run them on the highway you wont be going very fast on them. They are such large gauge chain that you will feel like you have caterpillar tracks on instead of tires.