PDA

View Full Version : Fail !

TIMZTOY
10-11-2009, 02:40 PM
I was at work today. And a coworker was mounting an balancing 4 truck tires
I think they were 285/75/16 not sure. They looked like 33's on a expidition.
They were shody china made rims (that looked good) when he was balancing them. I observed him taking a wire wheel to the aluminum to "clean" off the mud and dirt. The whole time I'm shaking my head in disbelife. I trie to offe my help but he was having none of it because he's one of those " I went to mechanic school, and know everything" kids. So enjoy the photos I belive it's like 7.00 OZ on the inner side and 5.00 OZ on the outer side.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/72/l_fd0432e318e54d24ae7e59ddef4bab5d.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/18/l_6af9577845ab4a92b0672fca47b1c9c9.jpg

60wag
10-11-2009, 05:51 PM
So it was a lame balance because he used a lot of weight to offset a rim that wasn't cleaned properly? Or was it because the rim way way out of bal? What's a good way to clean the rim? I'm thinking about having my Cooper STTs rebalanced and might as well deliver them to the tire shop sparkling clean so that they do a good balance and the weights stick well.

TIMZTOY
10-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Yea. Anytime the rim calls for more than 2.5oz you should recheck the rim and tire. I belive there was a ass load of dirt and mud built up and all he did was clean the spot for the weights. And when your adding slot of weights you don't want to make it 10" long like he did. You want to keep it tight. And I'm personally not a fan of stacking weights. Sure some rims take slot of weight. But if it call fir more than 2.5 you should spin it again to make sure it's not just on the balancer crooked. ( he did not ) and if it's still off by a lot. Break the bead and spin the tire 180 deg. And re-inflate and check again. Some tires have heavy spots in them when made. Expectually if you have patches. ( he did not spin) because I the rim has a heavy spot an the tire has a heavy spot odds are you have them togther. Not opposite. If you want yours done correntlly bring them down to the littelton pepboys off qubeck and park meadows. And request "tim p" dose the work.

rover67
10-11-2009, 07:05 PM
I just use brake cleaner to clean the rims right where the weights go before sticking on stick on weights.

jettaglxdriver
10-11-2009, 07:27 PM
So the owner goes and cleans the truck up and notices his wheels are way out of balance and thinks less of your location as a result?

Beater
10-11-2009, 07:42 PM
actually - most tires come with location dots for rim placement as well.

TIMZTOY
10-11-2009, 11:10 PM
I just use brake cleaner to clean the rims right where the weights go before sticking on stick on weights.

I used to do that. But this shop dosent give us brake cleaner like most shops. We have to add I to the ticket if we want some. So we try not to wast it. It's like gold to us.

So the owner goes and cleans the truck up and notices his wheels are way out of balance and thinks less of your location as a result?

unfortunally yes.

actually - most tires come with location dots for rim placement as well.

yep. But theise "I know everythig" fuc***g rookies fresh out or still in school don't know what those little yellow paint dots are. Nore do they have the willingness to learn, to just ask!

ElliottB
10-11-2009, 11:48 PM
TIMZTOY, where do you work?

timmbuck2
10-12-2009, 09:33 AM
I had my old 35" tires mounted on some new steel rims at Discount Tire a few weeks ago. It took them 90+ minutes to balance them, and they had even more weights on there than in Tim's picture...and the weights ALL fell off before I got home...and the tires were just riding in a trailer. Seems the new rims were not cleaned before the put the weights on...sp all that time was a complete waste. Now I get to go do it again, Yay.

Red_Chili
10-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Uh... you mean they get to do it again... for free... right?
Go get 'em, Timm!

nuclearlemon
10-12-2009, 09:52 AM
all those weights are standard for swampers:D

Uncle Ben
10-12-2009, 09:54 AM
all those weights are standard for swampers:D

Really? My 40" Iroks have no weight on the wheels and they are perfectly balanced! :thumb:;)

timmbuck2
10-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Uh... you mean they get to do it again... for free... right?
Go get 'em, Timm!

Definitely for free...but my 2 hours I have to waste again is not free! :mad: I will drink ALLLL their coffee...that will show them... :rolleyes:

TIMZTOY
10-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Definitely for free...but my 2 hours I have to waste again is not free! :mad: I will drink ALLLL their coffee...that will show them... :rolleyes:

:lmao::lmao::cheers: go get um tim.

Pepboys
7453 park meadow Dr.
Littelton.

TIMZTOY
10-12-2009, 01:01 PM
:mad: I will drink ALLLL their coffee...that will show them... :rolleyes:

:lmao::lmao::cheers: go get um tim.

Pepboys
7453 park meadow Dr.
Littelton.

On the NE corner or qubeck & park meadows