PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to help?

BreckBJ44
10-13-2009, 01:13 PM
I have a BJ44 diesel that is having some fuel issues. I would love to have any diesel gurus help me out before I have to take the truck to a shop to have the issues diagnosed.

Anyone interested in helping me do a health check/diagnosis on my engine and systems? I am sure I should at least do a compression check, but have never done one...

wesintl
10-13-2009, 01:21 PM
what are the symptoms?

treerootCO
10-13-2009, 02:05 PM
we should start guessing....

Air in the lines....crack and bleed all injectors
fuel frozen...unfreeze

wesintl
10-13-2009, 02:12 PM
gas in a diesel...

can't locate the dist...

treerootCO
10-13-2009, 02:21 PM
spark plugs missing?

Beater
10-13-2009, 02:22 PM
be nice guys... you've been listening to me too long

wesintl
10-13-2009, 02:27 PM
we're bored.. kraig knows were messin around.

Follow the dist wires to find the spark plugs root.. you should know that

my guess is air is getting in the line somewhere..

treerootCO
10-13-2009, 02:31 PM
turbo missing, loss of power on hills and higher elevation...

followed by, why is my exhaust glowing

subzali
10-13-2009, 02:39 PM
algae in diesel fuel? :bolt:

wesintl
10-13-2009, 02:49 PM
algae in diesel fuel? :bolt:

could be a possibility but I don't think it can grow in the cold temps kraig's bj44 sees.

Beater
10-13-2009, 04:24 PM
could he be gellin'?

rover67
10-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Dunno.. we've had Allisons diesel parked overnight at loveland pass when it got down to -16 one night. It started OK. Maybe the blend is different in the winter and it is gelling because it's still "warm" out?

hell I don't know.

Corbet
10-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Its a lost cause, I'll be up to haul it away this weekend.... :D

TIMZTOY
10-13-2009, 09:32 PM
i can lend a hand.. i helped get timmbuck2's bj running... pm me or text or call
636-248-6369

leiniesred
10-13-2009, 11:35 PM
old rubber hoses on fuel feed line leaking air into the system.

Uncle Ben
10-14-2009, 05:21 AM
old rubber hoses on fuel feed line leaking air into the system.

This would be my first guess along with old fuel in the tank. Do these have water separators? If so is it full?

treerootCO
10-14-2009, 08:22 AM
Do BJ44s have glow plugs?

I learned that it is harder to start a diesel with the engine uphill (if there is air in the lines) We took off the front tires and dropped the axle on the ground and it started right up. Tried all the tricks up to that point so I know that made a difference. Use starting fluid very sparingly if you have glow plugs.

Rzeppa
10-15-2009, 04:44 PM
can't locate the dist...

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

timmbuck2
10-15-2009, 10:08 PM
leaky diaphragm...does it smoke a lot? what color is the smoke?

BreckBJ44
10-16-2009, 03:02 AM
You guys are really funny. I mean that!

Okay, here are the symptoms and what has been done.

-) The truck has a Garrett gt2052 turbo installed new on a 13bt manifold. The rig has around 120K miles on it. The glow system works and I replaced the glows last fall... Does not mean they are still in good shape. As an aside, before changing the glows in the previous winter I was able to start the rig with a 2 second glow at 10F (with a lot of cranking) so I don't think the engine is in bad shape.

1) the engine put out white smoke at start and I progressivley had to lean out the fuel on the pump to rid it of higher and higher engine temps. (note: I also have a leak in the rad so that hinders temp readings as a diagnostic tool right now - I am researching where to replace). I ended up putting out white smoke while at a stop light while warm. this let me to step two.

2) I replaced the diaphragm due to the symptoms and the rig runs completely differently. Keep in mind I have not driven the rig for more than a tour of the neighborhood - not enough to really let it get to op-temp. I have to drive it around to get a real gauge on the EGTs and the power at different fuel levels with the new diapragm installed.

3) the truck still blows a ton of white smoke at start after sitting for a bit. It seems to not be there once I get it mildly warm, but I have yet to test. I have to put fresh fuel in and a good water eater additive to make sure of the quality of the fuel in system. I also have a new filter I also need to put in. I do not think my rig has the sedimenter (water separator).

4) lastly, I have moved down to denver as of three weeks ago! I yet to make a meeting, but I plan to bring the rig down in a week or so. That is why I was soliciting help as I would like to utilize the extensive knowledge of you all to help me get the 44 to where I want it. I basically would love to see what the baselines are on compression and basic engine helath that I cannot find out with the limited tools and knowldege I have to work with.

Thanks again!

Kraig

timmbuck2
10-16-2009, 07:32 AM
Kraig, awesome news you are in Denver! Give me a call and Tim and I can come over in my BJ40 to take a look and compare diesel's. :)

303 six one nine 4075

BreckBJ44
11-10-2009, 04:42 PM
So I finally got the rig down and am ready to start figuring out the issues. Calls will start soon... Anyone free this weekend?

timmbuck2
11-10-2009, 08:46 PM
I will be around

TIMZTOY
11-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Call me. I get off at 6 pm all week. And have nothing to do. Not sure when my next days off are

(636) two four eight - 6369 Tim

BreckBJ44
11-23-2009, 10:52 PM
Tim,

Thanks again for coming over and giving me the rundown on the basics of what's up with her. Odd symptoms though. The white smokes seemed to get worse that night when the temps dropped a bit. The engine was running at temp so I don't think it was poor combustion. I am researching shops to get the timing checked, will do the gas treatment thing we talked about, and will do the oil check thing as well.

Thanks again!

K

wesintl
11-24-2009, 03:03 PM
have a timmimg light!!
What are you going to do with that? use it as a flashlight?:D

TIMZTOY
11-24-2009, 04:08 PM
That's why I said I'd have to do some research. I've Never had to work on a desiel !!!

subzali
11-24-2009, 04:14 PM
I've used a timing light as a flashlight once! And I also did the "tap the starter to get one more start out of it" trick at the same time!

Wasn't on a diesel though...if your crankshaft and your camshaft are properly timed (gear driven right?) then there's not much other timing that can be done correct? I would lean toward water in the fuel personally, but I'm not a diesel guy...

wesintl
11-24-2009, 04:17 PM
for that application you normally do injection timing. little pipe coming up off the #1 injection pump and you set the crank to the timing mark and then you can adjust the injection. :hill:

White smoke at startup is going to be normal for a worn engine of this era and application. Colder it is the worse it will be til the engine reaches operating temp. up.

I would doubt that it needs timed but I would probably need to see this thing to diagnose the issue.

Rzeppa
11-24-2009, 06:40 PM
have a timmimg light!! I'll have to research if there's anything funny about checking it on a desiel. But that info should only take like 10min to find.

:lmao:

That was a joke...right?

BreckBJ44
11-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks guys. Firstly, I have heard you adjust the timing by adjusting the position of the injection pump on the block. It is more of a microadjustment. Tim thought it sounded like the compression was alright as she started well. Sh did have a miss though that made me think timing. Tim thought it could be bad fuel and that is something I want to address to as the truck sat for a while off and on and the tank has never been drained as far as I know. It was shipped on the deck of a boat...

The thing about a worn engine is that I am not sure how worn it is... I would love to do a compression check on the engine to see. I did have her starting in 10 degree F temps though with no glow (the PO put 21.5 volt plugs in a superglow system that needs 14.5 - essentially giving me a 2-3 sec glow for the first cycle and that's it). She took a lot of coaxing, but she started.

Does anyone know a good shop to get my injectors tested?

Rzeppa
11-24-2009, 10:55 PM
Does anyone know a good shop to get my injectors tested?

Robbie Antonson is a Rising Sun member, TLCA Tech Editor and certified diesel mechanic. He goes by powderpig on this forum. email him at techeditor@tlca.org.

wesintl
11-25-2009, 07:37 AM
I just meant worn in that the engine has miles on it not implying it was worn out.

central motive power can test and rebuild injectors

BreckBJ44
11-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Cool... Now to find the coolant issue and all of the oil leaks!