subzali
10-14-2009, 12:07 PM
new to me, anybody have any opinions?

http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=2&g=1

DaveInDenver
10-14-2009, 12:16 PM

Comes in 33x10.50, color me interested. However I was very seriously considering going back to the BFG AT after a couple of years on these BFG MTs. Just not commuting and ski traffic friendly at all, which it would seem to me that these new Intercos would also suffer. As a viable alternative to a BFG Mud for pizza cutter fans, then heck yeah!

Uncle Ben
10-14-2009, 12:24 PM

Fail! They would probably be good for forward or reverse traction but there is even less longitudinal grooving than the BFG KM2's, which have very little lateral traction. Seems Interco must be selling car show type tires like the Thornbird so they are coming up with more poser tire designs. I base this opinion on the tread design and the multi dub and larger rim sizes they have multi sizes for. Want a fantastic high traction Swamper thats quiet...get the Truxs Mt's. Want more off-road tough carcass Swampers spring for the LTB's. Want something thats high mileage, great road manors and OK off road, don't buy Intercos!

Uncle Ben
10-14-2009, 12:37 PM
The new Goodyear Kevlar MT's have, as I expected, gained a lot of followers very quickly as they seem to be the most bang for your buck on all surfaces. I think these will be my next tires on Ricecake. I'm just waiting for them to offer blackwalls instead of the rainbow flag RWL....

subzali
10-14-2009, 12:39 PM
you're funny uncle ben :D

But I agree, "aggressive tread design that will enhance the look of any vehicle." Great. Wow, pat yourself on the back for that one. Woo hoo. Flippin' sweet. :rolleyes:

personally I think I'm going to go with Trxus for my next set on the 40, not quite sold on the new Goodyear MT yet.

Dave, I would think the BFG A/T would be a good fit for your needs, basically getting you to and from work every day plus driving out to Golden for mtb, and of course skiing on the weekends. But that's just my opinion, I know you didn't ask for it.

rover67
10-14-2009, 12:44 PM
what interco's have you folks run before?

DaveInDenver
10-14-2009, 12:51 PM
Dave, I would think the BFG A/T would be a good fit for your needs, basically getting you to and from work every day plus driving out to Golden for mtb, and of course skiing on the weekends. But that's just my opinion, I know you didn't ask for it.
Oh I know. I bounce back and forth, AT to MT and back. Been that way forever. I am a fan of the AT but it does leave a bit to be desired when off road, so once in a while I get MTs and then remember how much I hate them for the 95% of the other time. My main gripe is the utter lack of choice in tall and skinny tires, particularly for 15" rims. I'd really like to try the Goodyear MTR, but don't wanna run a 33x12.50. :-/

MDH33
10-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Want something thats high mileage, great road manors and OK off road, don't buy Intercos!

What?? My LTB's are a dream on the highway. :hill:

Original TSL's and LTB's are my only frame of reference but I've liked them both. Uncle Ben described it pretty perfectly. Off road=good, highway and mileage=not so good.

Uncle Ben
10-14-2009, 12:53 PM

TSL, SX, Trxus M/Tand Irok. Vampires on the Grizzly (Insane in the snow sucked on rocks!) Almost forgot...M&H Racemasters on the Chevelle!

Uncle Ben
10-14-2009, 12:56 PM
What?? My LTB's are a dream on the highway. :hill:

Original TSL's and LTB's are my only frame of reference but I've liked them both. Uncle Ben described it pretty perfectly. Off road=good, highway and mileage=not so good.

Nightmares are just a dream with an after-life!

nakman
10-14-2009, 04:03 PM
What about those SSR's? Look a lot like the Truxus to me.. but they come in a 35 x 10.50 16 which definitely intrigues me. Not that I'm shopping for tires..

I just wish Interco's balanced better, my one and only gripe from my experience with them last time. :)

Convert
10-14-2009, 05:43 PM
I love my Trxus but they are tough to balance

jacdaw
10-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Where are y'all buying/mounting Intercos around here? I need new tires in about two weeks. The Trxus MTs are on the short list, as well as the DuraTracs (http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyeartireselector/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Wrangler+DuraTrac&mrktarea=Light+Truck&treadwidth=235&aspectratio=85&rimdiameter=16&sidewall=BSL&requestFrom=Search%20By%20Size)

Corbet
10-14-2009, 05:58 PM
I wish someone would make something in a 36x11.5r16 That would be the perfect size for an 80 series IMO.

nakman
10-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Agreed, perfect for a 4" lift Corbet. Yeah I'd consider that one for sure. :thumb:

Uncle Ben
10-14-2009, 08:53 PM
I wish someone would make something in a 36x11.5r16 That would be the perfect size for an 80 series IMO.

I would be all over that! :thumb::thumb:

ElliottB
10-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Ugh, how are Ground Hawgs still in production? Worst tire ever.

jacdaw
10-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Ugh, how are Ground Hawgs still in production? Worst tire ever.You mean the tire that killed Tellico?:(

Uncle Ben
10-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Ugh, how are Ground Hawgs still in production? Worst tire ever.

Remember back in the "old days" Ground Hawg 44" were the "monster" tires! :rolleyes:

ElliottB
10-14-2009, 10:52 PM
You mean the tire that killed Tellico?:(

Explain. Tellico is my old stompin grounds.

jacdaw
10-14-2009, 10:56 PM
Explain. Tellico is my old stompin grounds.

The FS closed it to protect the habitat from erosion. See here (http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/press/tellico_decision_news_release.pdf)and here (http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/nepa/tusquitee/tellico.htm).

ElliottB
10-14-2009, 11:27 PM
:facepalm:

It doesn't really surprise me though. 90% of all of the people I ever saw in Tellico were responsible users. But the other 10% were backwoods idiots from KY and WV that stuck out like a sore thumb and made a bigger mess than we could keep up with. Looks like I won't ever be running Lower 2 or Slickrock again. :(

Uncle Ben
10-14-2009, 11:40 PM
:facepalm:

It doesn't really surprise me though. 90% of all of the people I ever saw in Tellico were responsible users. But the other 10% were backwoods idiots from KY and WV that stuck out like a sore thumb and made a bigger mess than we could keep up with. Looks like I won't ever be running Lower 2 or Slickrock again. :(

:(:rant::rant::banghead:

jacdaw
10-14-2009, 11:45 PM
That ten percent seems to live here as well, and I ran into them in the Sierra when I lived in Cali...and don't get me started on the jet fuel geniuses on the quads in the Oregon dunes that spoil an annual event I'm involved with by buzzing the treeline camp after midnight.:mad:

Nay
10-16-2009, 12:32 PM
I advocate just going straight to 37x12.5 Trxus :D - they have a very narrow tread contact pattern, which is why they are so quiet, so you get a skinny tire onroad and a wider tire offroad at lower PSI.

You have to leave them inflated at 65 PSI for 24 hours, then they are smooth as glass :hill:

Pic of 35x10.5 SSR vs. 35x12.5 trxus (SSR new, Trxus not new)

nakman
10-16-2009, 12:36 PM
So Nay did you run those SSR's? Or was that someone else's?

corsair23
10-16-2009, 01:10 PM
So Nay did you run those SSR's? Or was that someone else's?

I think that SSR is what will become my new spare when I get around to mounting up the 315 Toyos :)

Cheeseman
10-16-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm on my second set of SSR's on the Runner. I have had very good luck with them. I drive pretty aggressively on highway and they haven't let me down. My first set I think I got about 29,000 or so miles. As for the trail, well you've seen me for the last few years. At Moab I'm sometimes go down to 8 - 10 psi. But usually at 12 - 15 psi. Never lost a bead. I started with 33" and now am at 35". Both on 8"rims.

Need to get an MT type tire for the 62 and not sure what to go to next for that one. Just finishing up on a set of 285/16 MTR's.
________
Ipad Accessories (http://accesoriesipad.com/)