PDA

View Full Version : Drive shaft removal - 80 series

corsair23
10-14-2009, 11:23 PM
In my continuing noob mechanic education, any tips/tricks to the front and rear drive shaft removal on an 80 series?

I'm working on the rear first and the 3rd member end went smooth enough but I could get to all 4 bolts/nuts easily. At the center diff end however I can only access two of the nuts with the other two hiding above the gas tank on one side and the muffler on the other side :rolleyes:.

So, I thought no problem. I read where you theoretically can shift the tranny and center diff into neutral and spin the shaft (something that I find intimidating with the rear end up on stands :eek:). So, I tried that but my rear shaft doesn't spin :confused:

I guess technically I don't need the whole shaft to come out but I figured now would be the time to clean and inspect everything while I have the 3rd member out for the gear swap.

On the plus side, it only took me 2 hours or so to get the rear end up on stands, tires off, gear oil draining, and then starting on the drive shaft :hill:

Uncle Ben
10-14-2009, 11:26 PM
In my continuing noob mechanic education, any tips/tricks to the front and rear drive shaft removal on an 80 series?

I'm working on the rear first and the 3rd member end went smooth enough but I could get to all 4 bolts/nuts easily. At the center diff end however I can only access two of the nuts with the other two hiding above the gas tank on one side and the muffler on the other side :rolleyes:.

So, I thought no problem. I read where you theoretically can shift the tranny and center diff into neutral and spin the shaft (something that I find intimidating with the rear end up on stands :eek:). So, I tried that but my rear shaft doesn't spin :confused:

I guess technically I don't need the whole shaft to come out but I figured now would be the time to clean and inspect everything while I have the 3rd member out for the gear swap.

You need all 4 tires in the air to rotate shafts on an 80 if your locked in!

wesintl
10-14-2009, 11:29 PM
unbolt the front ds at one end

Uncle Ben
10-14-2009, 11:50 PM
....and have both rears in the air or unbolt both ds's at the diffs.

Fixed/added for you

Romer
10-15-2009, 12:22 AM
Can you get the nuts on by hand?? Do you have a gear wrench you can tighten it with?

If yoiu can get two on tight and the other two hand tight, you can always just back the truck up a couple of feet and then tighten the two you did by hand.

Using a couple of long extensions that allow some angle I was able to torque everything to spec without moving.

corsair23
10-15-2009, 01:27 AM

....and have both rears in the air or unbolt both ds's at the diffs.

Dang...Where is the "light bulb going off" smilie? :D

Thanks guys :thumb:

On the plus side for me, I did remember to lock the rear axle before starting...That counts for something right? :lmao: