PDA

View Full Version : 80 Series Rear Axle Removal - What size bolt?

corsair23
10-16-2009, 02:30 AM
Another noob question :rolleyes:

I've searched MUD and here to no avail and I'm tired and I'm sure most of you know the answer so here is your chance to show off your knowledge :cool:

I'm at the point where the rear axles are ready to come out and the "method" per the FSM and the write ups I've seen is to thread two bolts into the threaded holes in the flange to help push the axle away from the hub and out. Easy enough except for I don't have any bolts that fit in the holes...I'm sure this is one of those things I should just know, but I don't...And rather than buying a couple bolts of various sizes to see what fits I figured I'd just ask...

So, size and length anyone? I'm guessing M8 but not sure why :rolleyes:

On a tech note...I was able to get the rear driveshaft out tonight, Got the 3rd member bolts loose, and got all those dang nuts, washers, and cone washers out...All in a record time of 2 hours :hill: Sometimes I really :rant:cone washers...I had to "beat" on each side a lot to get them to finally pop...

I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't just go ahead and get new bearings for the rear and put them in because I'd be willing to guess that the rear on the LX has never been touched other than replacing the diff fluid. I was just planning to replace the seals and gasket but what do you all think? Replace the bearings as well and keep the old for emergency spares or just clean them up, grease them, and put them back in?

corsair23
10-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Found this with a Google search:

I have one of those rather useless Gregory's repair manuals and all it says
about removing the rear axle is :-

3. Install 2 x M8x25mm bolts to the threaded holes in the axle shaft flange and tighten evenly until the flange is dislodged from the rear hub.

Score 1 for the useless Gregory's repair manual and -1 for the FSM :hill: - Although I suspect the Gregory's repair manual is written more for people like me while the FSM is more for the Ben/Robbie level of competence that know what size bolt Toyota means when they mention it in the FSM :rolleyes:

But, still wondering if I should go ahead and install new rear bearings regardless (120K on the LX) or reuse the old :confused: - Up front is getting ALL new components courtesy of the aftermarket warranty people and I'd hate for the rear axle to feel neglected :D

nakman
10-16-2009, 12:43 PM
I would just clean & repack the bearings and put them back in, unless you had a problem? Post up some pictures of the bearings for more witty comments..

Hey how long did you pull on the brake before you remembered to take the parking brake off?

corsair23
10-16-2009, 12:51 PM
I would just clean & repack the bearings and put them back in, unless you had a problem? Post up some pictures of the bearings for more witty comments..

Hey how long did you pull on the brake before you remembered to take the parking brake off?

Thanks Tim...No known issues aside from probably being horribly neglected...I'm pretty sure the rear has never been touched considering it took me most of the night to get the stupid cone washers out...A LOT of hitting the center of the axle, then on to smacking the studs, then to smacking the hub sides, and a lot of liquid wrench...

As for the parking brake...Luckily I learned that when doing the :Princess:'s rear rotors :hill: - although the old rotor still didn't want to come off easily and I ended up popping off, and ruining, one of the little "cup" dealyos :rolleyes:

That said, I'm not exactly doing things in the necessarily "proper" order...The rear rotors are still in place for now as I'm more in a hurry to get the axles out so I can pull the 3rd member and get it off to gear man...I'll work on the hubs after that and be ready to learn more stuff I don't know yet, like how to use my $6 HF smack-it driver :thumb: - I couldn't find the $10 one you mentioned

nakman
10-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Well the time to beat is 10 minutes... that's usually how long I tug on the rear brake before I remember to take the parking brake off. Did it last night actually :lmao: and btw, the screw size for the jack-it screw is the same on those as it is on the drive flange.