PDA

View Full Version : Tim'z new Toy

TIMZTOY
10-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Some of you know, most don't. Yesterday I became a happy/frustrated new owner of a 1965 FJ40. It's got a soa with either new stock replacement springs or lift springs, because the guy said in the add 6-8" lift, and is very stiff. She's also recived a heart transplant from a 89 chevy camaro 5.7l 350ci TBI. And a 700r4 from a 89 chevy suburban. And what (apears to be stock) landcruiser t-case twin stick's. A Very retarded 1.5" body lift From HOCKEY PUCKS. Also a custom family cage that was made and welded properlly, but I'm going to re-fab 1/2 of it. Because it was not thought out properlly (and was fab'd for a short person). I'm 6' w/ long legs. It has seats out of a (?) possibly A Toyota car, maby celica. The roll cage is plated at the all 6 mount locations and then taken to the frame on the front 4. I dont know why They didn't do the rear 2. The rear seat is out of a k5 blazer and is in great shape. It fold's all the way up out of the way. The rear axle has a spool or welded spiders "same thing". And the front is lock right. Both have 4.88 gears. 35x10.50x15 super swampers. Skingasaw power steering. ( it turns better to the right than it does the left, considerbally ). She came with a soft top "that was cut to clear the rear cage bars", soft doors, hard top with hard doors, and a bimmini top. I only have a iPhone for Internet so the pics I have are the ones listed on craigslist and 2 shody ones from my phone.

Acutally I can't load pics unless I do it through myspace and just give a link

wesintl
10-16-2009, 09:26 PM
the 40's revival! congrats T

TIMZTOY
10-16-2009, 09:38 PM
I can't do shiznit for photos. There loaded on to my myspace page.

www.myspace.com/blingg23

there under "my mobile" album the last 5

Mendocino
10-16-2009, 11:00 PM
I'm not smart enough to figure out MS; pics?

40s Rule!:D

I can't do shiznit for photos. There loaded on to my myspace page.

www.myspace.com/blingg23

there under "my mobile" album the last 5

wesintl
10-16-2009, 11:08 PM
one:

TIMZTOY
10-17-2009, 12:34 AM
Thanks WesIntl

direct link to the myspace album

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=55458170&albumId=3004326

Hulk
10-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Congrats!

Mendocino
10-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Looks good Tim!:thumb:

MDH33
10-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Very :cool: Tim, can't wait to see it in person. Looks like it has q78's?

So, what project is first?? ;)

:zilla: :thumb:

jettaglxdriver
10-17-2009, 12:57 PM
We got a lot of work to do on that bad boy.

TIMZTOY
10-17-2009, 02:34 PM
My first project is to stop all the leaks. And clearance the tranny pan around the front drive shaft. Then I'm going to re skin the rear quarters. I like how there cut but I hate 90deg strait edges. So I'm going to cut in some smooth curve. Then I'm going to cut out the whole tub/trunk area. I'm going to make my own tub sides and floor. Dropong the floor down .5" and narrowing the width from 41-3/8" down to 35-3/8". So it will be 6" skinner. And your all problly saying what the hell. Trust me. It'll be a suprise on the next run after completion you'll all see. Unless you guess before band. And you probly will. Then fix the retarded spots in the cage. And all new autometer gauges so I can actually see what my oil pressure and coolent temp is with out a flashlight. Tube fenders front, custom (Timztoy) made fear tube fenders. Yes rear tube fenders. You'll see. And a (Timztoy) rear swingout bumper/tire carrier. Set of sliders ( last on list at this point). And get rid of this darn spool. I'm thinking arb. Might as well do it right the first time. Eventually a metalic blue paintjob. Oh ya. Duha. I set of mirriors. Lol I dont have any at this point. If someone could lend a pair that would be great.

If anyone knows a steel shop that sells and bends sheet steel that's be great. Or someone who has a 48" break that can Handel at liest 1/16"

farnhamstj
10-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Sheash, you've been in CO for what a month now? and already you've gone from 2wd tacoma to SOA 40. I always knew this club was a bad influence. While I agree the current body ain't pretty. I don't really see the point in narrowing a fj40. They're about the skinniest of all the toyota's and certainly narrow enough to fit through any of the trails in CO. But I always like to see what people are building so.... I'll be waiting for the write up. I bet i'll be just as good as your bed bob. Congrats on the new toy.

TIMZTOY
10-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Sheash, you've been in CO for what a month now? and already you've gone from 2wd tacoma to SOA 40. I always knew this club was a bad influence. While I agree the current body ain't pretty. I don't really see the point in narrowing a fj40. They're about the skinniest of all the toyota's and certainly narrow enough to fit through any of the trails in CO. But I always like to see what people are building so.... I'll be waiting for the write up. I bet i'll be just as good as your bed bob. Congrats on the new toy.

Hay thanks man. When i start all theise projects to come I should have my new and under used Cannon Rebel EOS SLR camera. My miller 180 w/ autoset. And computer. Yea for computers. Boo iPhone. :) no I love my iPhone. Wow I hate having all me shiznt in diffrent states.

I'm not making the 40 skinner. just making the Wheel tubs wider by 3" each Inward. Which will make the interior bed smaller. I would actually be making the 40 wider because of the rear tube fenders I plan on fabing. I agree that the 40's are very skinny. Almost makes you want to put wider axles.

timmbuck2
10-19-2009, 11:44 AM
what about the little switch that turns on the cooling fan that is SO easy to forget??

Jacket
10-19-2009, 11:50 AM
So much for the bad economy.... New 40, new AT trailer, new Tacoma, and Timm B buys a new 40 every week - I guess the RS membership is weathering the storm Ok.

Congrats on the new rig!

TIMZTOY
10-19-2009, 05:51 PM
I drove the 40 to work this morning after fixingthe oil cap leak and power washing it again. Got to wads and 470. I'm in the left turn Lane under the highway and I decide to see if the cigerete lighter works. The second I pushed the thing in the truck dies. And won't start. :-O after blocking traffic for 5 min and retards behind me not relizing I'm stoped (with the hood up and doors open) a stranger stops and asked if I need a tow out of the intercetion. I say yea. And he towed me back to his house right around the corrner. Neither of us had straps so I decided to just use the winch. Well this very kind, but not to intelegent person wasn't getting the slack out first. So the entire time was BAM, BAM. I'm like OMG my winch you retard. But I can't say anything because he's helping. And he didn't have to. So I just sucked it up and drank my mountain dew. Once we got back to his house. We look at the trucks wiring and found a blown Fuse. Aparentlly it's the main ECM fuse. Because as soon as I replaced it she fired right back up. You'd understand my frustration if you saw the spagaiti under the hood (everything is red wire)

RicardoJM
10-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Neither of us had straps so I decided to just use the winch. Well this very kind, but not to intelegent person wasn't getting the slack out first. So the entire time was BAM, BAM.

Once we got back to his house. We look at the trucks wiring and found a blown Fuse. Aparentlly it's the main ECM fuse. Because as soon as I replaced it she fired right back up. You'd understand my frustration if you saw the spagaiti under the hood (everything is red wire)

Glad to hear it was easy enough to get back running; bummer about the wiring all being one color. Does the winch still work? :D

Mendocino
10-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Lol! Nice, the ecm power is on the cla circuit. I guess you will get the opportunity to utilize your electrical skills.

I drove the 40 to work this morning after fixingthe oil cap leak and power washing it again. Got to wads and 470. I'm in the left turn Lane under the highway and I decide to see if the cigerete lighter works. The second I pushed the thing in the truck dies. And won't start. :-O after blocking traffic for 5 min and retards behind me not relizing I'm stoped (with the hood up and doors open) a stranger stops and asked if I need a tow out of the intercetion. I say yea. And he towed me back to his house right around the corrner. Neither of us had straps so I decided to just use the winch. Well this very kind, but not to intelegent person wasn't getting the slack out first. So the entire time was BAM, BAM. I'm like OMG my winch you retard. But I can't say anything because he's helping. And he didn't have to. So I just sucked it up and drank my mountain dew. Once we got back to his house. We look at the trucks wiring and found a blown Fuse. Aparentlly it's the main ECM fuse. Because as soon as I replaced it she fired right back up. You'd understand my frustration if you saw the spagaiti under the hood (everything is red wire)

TIMZTOY
10-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Yea. You bet jeff. I'm thinking painless wiring kit for a chevy tbi. And yes recarido thewinck still works. But I suffer a tragic loose/cut wire in the controler because it's not winding in. Only out

Uncle Ben
10-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Yea. You bet jeff. I'm thinking painless wiring kit for a chevy tbi. And yes recarido thewinck still works. But I suffer a tragic loose/cut wire in the controler because it's not winding in. Only out

I personally don't care for the Painless engine conversion harnesses. Either rewire the harness for your app or get a Howell or Turbo City harness. Both H & TC use all circuits and sensors and both are very good at burning chips! If I was to buy one today for myself I would call Turbo City!

Mendocino
10-19-2009, 06:46 PM
My junk is getting rewired in Fort Collins and should be done by the end of the week. This will include all the underdash mess. You may want to look at the results before you make. a decision. Our setups are pretty similar.

TIMZTOY
10-19-2009, 08:49 PM
I personally don't care for the Painless engine conversion harnesses. Either rewire the harness for your app or get a Howell or Turbo City harness. Both H & TC use all circuits and sensors and both are very good at burning chips! If I was to buy one today for myself I would call Turbo City!

Hay thanks ben. I've herd good and bad things about painless. Are you sayig that the painless burns up chips ?

Uncle Ben
10-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Hay thanks ben. I've herd good and bad things about painless. Are you sayig that the painless burns up chips ?

It's Kevin and no, Painless doesn't burn any chips....that would be your burden if the engine is anything different than stock configuration. Rereading your reply...."burning" chips is a generic term for re-flashing a modified map onto a E-Prom to suit the modified application that the engine is being transfered into.

TIMZTOY
10-19-2009, 11:42 PM
...."burning" chips is a generic term for re-flashing a modified map onto a E-Prom to suit the modified application that the engine is being transfered into.

That's how I always understood "burning chips as" that's why I was confused. I just read it out of context. So what is it about painless that you don't like ? Or is it just that turbo city has a more complete set up? I'm going to check out TC tonight. What's the story behind "uncle ben" if your name is Kevin? Just sounds like there might be a interesting story there

Mendocino
10-20-2009, 06:31 AM
... What's the story behind "uncle ben" if your name is Kevin? Just sounds like there might be a interesting story there

Tim, check out this (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10012) thread, it explains most folks screen names.

timmbuck2
10-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Tim please take some pictures of the pretty stickers that are on your truck. ;)

jettaglxdriver
10-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Some pics of the 40.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCN1426.jpg

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCN1427.jpg

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/500/DSCN1428.jpg

Where his leak was.
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCN1436.jpg

The Intake manifold removed.
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/photopost/data/500/medium/DSCN1437.jpg

timmbuck2
10-23-2009, 11:13 AM
yes those ARE zipties holding the fan shroud on. :)

the shop looks awesome!!!

jettaglxdriver
10-23-2009, 11:21 AM
The shop just needs powa and a huge air compressor.

TIMZTOY
10-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Tim please take some pictures of the pretty stickers that are on your truck. ;)

Hahaha there not that bad ! The wife might like them. And there all skulls anyways. :lmao:

what zip ties ? You can't even see them In Those pics. And the fan is bolted to the radiator and the radior is bolted to the support. The whole assembly is zip tied to the front grill :thumb:

oo yea you can sorry. I'm on my little iPhone screen

TIMZTOY
11-06-2009, 08:55 PM
I just bought some new toys ! The one is a new super flow air compressor. Which they has listed for $157 and the other is a smittybuild recovery kit. $105. The guy gave me some type of sweet discount. And I walked out paying only $161.53

The recovery kit has a choaker chain (can't think what I ever use a choaker chain for) a 17,000 lb snach block, gloves , and a 4" x 20' 30,000 lb "tree saver" they call it. But it's a darn tow strap. 20' tree saver come on !, and a 3/4" 10,000 lb D-ring.
So now I'm kinda ready for sundays run.

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/101/l_2645fb1bbe7e4e8fb1504704ad756d68.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/58/l_29963c3ce794470dbb9f7d0beba876fd.jpg

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/70/l_a4161cdae9884395925ca5831e6e1a8a.jpg

RicardoJM
11-06-2009, 09:52 PM
I just bought some new toys ! The one is a new super flow air compressor. Which they has listed for $157 and the other is a smittybuild recovery kit. $105. The guy gave me some type of sweet discount. And I walked out paying only $161.53

The recovery kit has a choaker chain (can't think what I ever use a choaker chain for) a 17,000 lb snach block, gloves , and a 4" x 20' 30,000 lb "tree saver" they call it. But it's a darn tow strap. 20' tree saver come on !, and a 3/4" 10,000 lb D-ring.
So now I'm kinda ready for sundays run.

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/101/l_2645fb1bbe7e4e8fb1504704ad756d68.jpg
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/58/l_29963c3ce794470dbb9f7d0beba876fd.jpg
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/70/l_a4161cdae9884395925ca5831e6e1a8a.jpg]

Fixed it for ya:thumb:

TIMZTOY
11-06-2009, 11:58 PM
Thanks. I'm getting really tired of this limited Internet crap. I can't Waite till I get my computer back

farnhamstj
11-07-2009, 10:26 AM
The chain is actually pretty useful. Mostly Jeeps and othere rigs with no recovery points. Wrap the chain around frame ect and pull. I use my tree saver strap for that fairly often. Pulled a grand cheroke out of a river by the front axle once. I know it's a big no-no to pull by the axles but unibodyframe no recovery points, 17year old kid with mom's truck crossing rivers and filled the motor with water. My pulling by the axle was the seast of his concerns.
Add a couple more d-ring and leather gloves, Got a Hi-lift? Those are good little compressors.

Mendocino
11-07-2009, 10:40 AM
You can also add a "T" link to the choker which can be inserted into the "frame" of unibodies and other vehicles' standard frames. I used T links extensively when I was much younger and drove a tow truck for a living.

timmbuck2
05-25-2010, 03:34 PM
since Tim now has a 4 wheel drive truck, and the 40 appears to have a spun main bearing, the 40 is for sale on CL and MUD and will probably be parted out if it does not sell rather quickly...