PDA

View Full Version : stuck in grand junction

timmbuck2
10-17-2009, 10:16 PM
just pulled around a corner in downtown grand junction and felt a lurch and then had no steering. damn knuckle bolts...whole bottom of the knuckle is off and steering arm also. geting AAA tow back to bed and breakfast. looks like 1 bolt is broken and the other three just lost the nut. any ideas? i jave access to a car trailer if anyone wants to make some cash and come tow me home. i guess i could go buy a jack and stands tomorrow and get 3 bolts that fit and drive it home. or rent a car and come back next week to fix it right.sigh....

wesintl
10-17-2009, 10:21 PM
you could probably get it towed over to hughs and be out fairly quick.

http://www.safari-ltd.com/about.html

bummer dude!

timmbuck2
10-17-2009, 10:27 PM
closed on the weekend...maybe monday morning if all else fails...

jettaglxdriver
10-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Any Rising sun or IH8MUD members up that way? Post on mud?

TIMZTOY
10-17-2009, 10:48 PM
I'd call in to work. Stay another day "on vacation" and get'er towed and fixed at

Safari ltd.
1005 Pitkin Ave.
Grand Junction, CO 81501

Geting her fixed the first time properlly were you are Instead of renting a car driving back to Denver to borrow a tow rig and drive all the way back to GJ just to tow her home again. And the problem is still not fixed. But cost a few hundred dollors in gas and rental fees, And time off work.

timmbuck2
10-17-2009, 11:41 PM
safely dropped off at Safari. anyone have Hugh's contact info.

almost threw up when i thought of where we were driving earlier today...on the grand mesa...50 mph on very curvy roads with 500 foot dropoffs and no guardrails.........

leiniesred
10-18-2009, 12:13 AM
Try this one for Hugh:
(970) 314-2212
Safari LTD's office # 970.245.5898

Look for an old picture of my 4Runner at the shop and tell Hugh "hiya" for me.

jettaglxdriver
10-18-2009, 09:37 AM
Yes you were very fortunate to have the breakdown where you did. Glad you are ok.

timmbuck2
10-18-2009, 11:00 PM
safari will work on the truck later in the week. I have a rental f-150. I get to make the round trip again next weekend. yay.

chtucker
10-19-2009, 08:23 AM
At least know it will be fixed right...

It was nice when I worked in Grand Junction... literally across the tracks from Safari at the CDOT yard...

timmbuck2
10-19-2009, 04:58 PM
so apparently I did not do something right at the wheel bearing packing party...drivers side arm is missing 2 studs also...gonna cost $1500 for a whole new axle re-build, new wheel bearings, trunion bearings, etc......SIGH...............

60wag
10-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Ouch. You shouldn't need new wheel bearings.

Romer
10-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Have him use the new torx (spell) head knuckle studs

corsair23
10-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Dang Timm....

You have me seriously considering using some red locktite on my new knuckle studs and nuts :eek: - I know, a bad thing right because they'll never want to come back off but then again, I won't have to worry about the nuts falling off or the studs falling out either...

timmbuck2
10-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Hugh says the wheel bearings are shot...and I never have replaced them so probably.

theboomboom
10-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Dang Timm....

You have me seriously considering using some red locktite on my new knuckle studs and nuts :eek: - I know, a bad thing right because they'll never want to come back off but then again, I won't have to worry about the nuts falling off or the studs falling out either...

I wouldn't let the red stuff scare ya, I just wrestled with many a bolt on the Bronco coated in red locktite. What I couldn't get off with a wrench, I could heat with a torch, then use a breaker bar/hi lift handle combo to give me the leverage to break it loose. :thumb:

RicardoJM
10-19-2009, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=corsair23;122527, a bad thing right because they'll never want to come back off but then again, I won't have to worry about the nuts falling off or the studs falling out either...[/QUOTE]

Interesting thought and perhaps someone will chime in with a reason why you would need to get your studs out. I know that I pulled them out to replace them with the new torx head as part of my conversion to disc brakes - but that was just because it was a nice to have "upgrade". Aside from having one shear off, I'm not sure why you would ever want to take them out.

Air Randy
10-19-2009, 05:54 PM
so apparently I did not do something right at the wheel bearing packing party...drivers side arm is missing 2 studs also...gonna cost $1500 for a whole new axle re-build, new wheel bearings, trunion bearings, etc......SIGH...............

They must be replacing the housing too for that price. I just bought a master rebuild kit for knuckles and it was $147, for that you get all the seals & gaskets plus new trunnion bearings & races and new wheel bearings and races.

If you buy my front housing and high steer setup for $500, it includes almost new trunnion bearings.

rover67
10-19-2009, 06:05 PM
They must be replacing the housing too for that price. I just bought a master rebuild kit for knuckles and it was $147, for that you get all the seals & gaskets plus new trunnion bearings & races and new wheel bearings and races.

If you buy my front housing and high steer setup for $500, it includes almost new trunnion bearings.

I think that's the going rate if you have a front axle rebuilt by somebody..

nuclearlemon
10-19-2009, 06:21 PM
I think that's the going rate if you have a front axle rebuilt by somebody..

still pretty high. iirc, ron said he charges $800-$1000.

sleeoffroad
10-19-2009, 06:31 PM

No ways you get all the 80 series front end parts for that price if you are sticking to oe Toyota parts. Wheel bearings add up pretty quick, especially if it is both sides. Throw in all new studs, cone washers, nuts etc.

chtucker
10-19-2009, 07:35 PM
That is a fair price.. Its 11 hours of book time at $75-100 per hour.

Parts are at least $230 for Toyota rebuild parts, + at least $50 for one side wheel bearings.

I will say in my personal experience is that Hugh is very very conservative. If he thinks it "might" need to be done/replaced he will quote it from the beginning. When I dropped my 80 off for a very thorough once over he quoted me over $2.5k for my front end. Without opening it up he figured at least birfs and inner axles. I did not have Safari do the work, at that point I was into for other things (radiator, fuel injector, tune up, phh)

I did my own front end... I swapped sides on the birfs... I should have replaced them as recommended by Hugh...

He is probably the most honest repair shop that I have been too..