PDA

View Full Version : FJ80 Upgrades?

bmxican92
10-18-2009, 07:39 PM
I have a bone stock fj80 that i want to start seriously wheeling. What upgrades and modifications do you suggest?

farnhamstj
10-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Good recovery gear. Then just drive it. You will work out what you need/want pretty quick. Everything has trade-offs. Add a lift and big tires, you get worse gas milage and I'll argue worse in snow. If your truck has lockers, "the switch on the dash to the left of the wheel" then all you really "needs" is good recovery gear and some time behind the wheel. Get good recovery gear and learn how to safely use it.

OR, spend a couple grand on stuff to get youself stuck even worse. Welcome.

Uncle Ben
10-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Sliders!!!

wesintl
10-18-2009, 08:21 PM
depends on your definition of serious wheelin.

38's, exo cage, winch http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/popcorn_and_beer.gif

nuclearlemon
10-18-2009, 08:23 PM
If your truck has lockers, "the switch on the dash to the left of the wheel" then all you really "needs" is good recovery gear and some time behind the wheel. Get good recovery gear and learn how to safely use it.

and a skid plate and sliders

Romer
10-18-2009, 08:26 PM
an FJ80 is a 91-92

An FZJ80 is a 93 to 97

They have different engines so the upgrades are slightly different.

You didn't say what you wanted to do with it. Wheeling upgrades would be sliders lift and 33" tires for good capability along with a Transfer case skid plate for protection

Next are front and rear bumpers

Does it have lockers?

Your lucky to be living in the same town as Slee Off road. They can fix you up with what you need and help you with advice.

farnhamstj
10-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Be like mike
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=5216&highlight=2nd+row

powderpig
10-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Like Wes said! What is your idea of Serious Wheeling. Maybe you bought the wrong truck for the start of this idea.
While the 80 is a great platform for many things, it is heavy and cost a bunch to fix up right(IMHO). But if you want a great truck to go to Moab, most of Colorado's high country, tackle the Rubicon and similar trails. In comfort and reliability you have made a great choice.
Where it pit falls are, is that it is heavy and gets heavier with more armor and stuff inside. There are many different ways these truck are built up. But the best money spent is getting the truck base line on Maintaince first. Then start with the idea of what size of tires, and what type of wheeling you want to do. Come to a few club runs and get good ideas from some of the guys in this club(we have a bunch of 80's in the club).
I like to think Serious Off roading is the buggies that are being made of varous different toyota trucks, usually these are trailered to the trail and then home.
But again, there are a bunch of different thoughts on what is serious.
Robbie

Uncle Ben
10-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Like Wes said! What is your idea of Serious Wheeling. Maybe you bought the wrong truck for the start of this idea.
While the 80 is a great platform for many things, it is heavy and cost a bunch to fix up right(IMHO). But if you want a great truck to go to Moab, most of Colorado's high country, tackle the Rubicon and similar trails. In comfort and reliability you have made a great choice.
Where it pit falls are, is that it is heavy and gets heavier with more armor and stuff inside. There are many different ways these truck are built up. But the best money spent is getting the truck base line on Maintaince first. Then start with the idea of what size of tires, and what type of wheeling you want to do. Come to a few club runs and get good ideas from some of the guys in this club(we have a bunch of 80's in the club).
I like to think Serious Off roading is the buggies that are being made of varous different toyota trucks, usually these are trailered to the trail and then home.
But again, there are a bunch of different thoughts on what is serious.
Robbie

Huh? Are you serious? :confused:

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

wesintl
10-18-2009, 10:26 PM
he's serious! but in all seriousness :D I saw in your other thread you couldn't make saran wrap. OME heavy lift, some 285 or 295's and a set of sliders to be sure of no damage and you could run it.

bmxican92
10-18-2009, 10:36 PM
thanks guys! and i didntt buy it. I inherited it.

corsair23
10-19-2009, 01:20 AM
Your lucky to be living in the same town as Slee Off road. They can fix you up with what you need and help you with advice.

:confused:

Did Christo move? :hill:

Romer
10-19-2009, 07:34 AM
:confused:

Did Christo move? :hill:

Ok, he is in the springs and Christo is in Golden. getting to be one big metro area from the springs to Ft Collins :o

powderpig
10-19-2009, 07:43 AM
Well Kevin:
If you had all that you wanted in your 80, there would be no need for the buggie you are building. That to me is the more serious side of wheeling. The stuff we do with our 80's (while some would consider serious) is not that Serious in my mind. But then again, that is why I was asking about his idea of Serious. Each person has a idea of what serious off roading is.

I too can be a resource for most things you would want or need, just a bit longer drive to get to me.

Uncle Ben
10-19-2009, 07:51 AM
Well Kevin:
If you had all that you wanted in your 80, there would be no need for the buggie you are building. That to me is the more serious side of wheeling. The stuff we do with our 80's (while some would consider serious) is not that Serious in my mind. But then again, that is why I was asking about his idea of Serious. Each person has a idea of what serious off roading is.

I too can be a resource for most things you would want or need, just a bit longer drive to get to me.

40 is not considered a buggy (except by purests) and even Sammi's 80, while one of the most hardcore 80's out there, still would have trouble on extreme trails. The question remains....are you serious? ;) :lmao:

Hulk
10-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Welcome to the RS forum, bmxican92. If you have a 1992 FJ80, you're running a 3FE engine, which was also in the FJ62 series. If that's the case, you may want to take a look at some of the FJ62 info over on the ih8mud.com forums, just to keep up on some regular maintenance.

To get started wheeling, come on some Rising Sun trips and check out everyone else's rigs. There are a lot of 80 series rigs in the club, and we've all modified them -- some more so than others.

I'd start with sliders. You should take a look at Slee Off-Road. There are other vendors who make sliders, both local (Irbis) and non-local.

Next step, I'd do a 2.5" lift and 33" tires (285).

That will put you in a good position to tackle many trails and keep it as a very street-friendly vehicle.

Post up some details about your rig!

Uncle Ben
10-19-2009, 09:54 PM
he's serious! but in all seriousness :D I saw in your other thread you couldn't make saran wrap. OME heavy lift, some 285 or 295's and a set of sliders to be sure of no damage and you could run it.

OK....wasn't going to step in it but ...well you know.... The trail's name is Reynolds Wrap not Saran Wrap. It's named after Tim Reynolds. This info I learned from that trails caretakers, the Colorado Land Cruisers. There, I stepped in it.....got it all over the carpet and I ain't cleanin' it up neither! :p:

TIMZTOY
10-19-2009, 11:08 PM
All you need is a good 12,000lb winch. That's it. Stock wheels and tires and a good winch and you can hit any trail in the state. :lmao:
I didn't say you'd have fun or make it But you could go. (don't atempt)
oh ya odds are you'll get some serious body damage.