PDA

View Full Version : I need more lift...

jjhancock
10-19-2009, 04:13 PM
So I've decided to join the big boy club and an now running 315 Nitto's on my 80 series :) I will be re-gearing in two weeks, although the truck drives fine down here on the front range with the stock gears. The tires look great, but I know I'm going to need more lift.

Two notable trucks that I have wheeled with are Romer's 80, and Tch2Fly's 80. I don't want to go too tall, but I want to be able to stuff my 315's without a gigantic lift as my mom and girlfriend are already complaining about getting in and out, God bless their hearts :)

Anyway, Romer and Tch2Fly both are running, if I recall correctly, OME heavies in the rear, and 850J's in the front, for a pretty level stance as far as I remember. I'm thinking that this is the route I want to go, but I found a good deal on a set of 4 L shocks and front and rear J springs and castor plates, with almost zero miles on them that sounds like a good deal, and a solution to my problem of not currently having enough lift for the 315's.

I don't currently have any additional weight on the front end, or in the cargo area. I will be adding a front tube bumper with a winch and dual batteries down the road, but not before spring most likely. Likewise, I'll be adding rear bumper with a swing out at some point.

So the question is, if I go with the J Spring lift and I haven't yet put any weight on the front or rear, is the ride going to be miserable and is it going to be too damn tall? Should I just throw a spacer up front with my OME 2.5" medium lift to level it out and wheel it and worry about new springs and shocks when I start adding armor?

Thanks for any and all advice. I'm just a bit confused, and I know there are a lot of lift options / combos for the 80 series.

-Justin

nakman
10-19-2009, 04:21 PM
I believe Romer's running 863J's in back, and tch2fly is running 864's. Both give more lift than a 863 (heavy)- the J is taller and the same spring rate, while the 864 is the same height but a heavier spring rate, so it doesn't squish as much given the same weight. That may be an oversimplification, but at least 86% accurate.. :)

Now, as for your situation with no bumpers or anything your mom will hate J springs, it'll probably be 2" taller front and back. Yes, go with your first idea and just put spacers up front, maybe some spacers in back, but keep the non-L shocks as long as possible, they'll let you stuff your tires further. As soon as you get L's you have to lower bump stops, which means you'd better be taller or you're going to have a lot less travel. It's a big jump to go to 4"... much easier to stay in the 2.5-3" range.

jjhancock
10-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Good call Nakman. I think going with spacers until I get some armor is the ticket. The stink bug is very evident with the bigger tires, and I'm sure it will rub in one or more of the wheel wells when I flex it out. I'll go flex it out after I get the stance looking better with some spacers up front and go from there. Thanks again!

wesintl
10-19-2009, 05:36 PM
just go right to the 4" and add the armor :D no reason to do it 2x

corsair23
10-19-2009, 05:49 PM
just go right to the 4" and add the armor :D no reason to do it 2x

What? And miss the fun progression from stock to OME 2.5" to J-lift to Slee 4" lift :hill:

You know that will inevitably be my progression :rolleyes:

wesintl
10-19-2009, 06:00 PM
we'll you could always wait.. you know corsair will be upgrading and you'll have next to new stuff for next to nothing :D ;)

farnhamstj
10-19-2009, 06:02 PM
To muddy the waters further. I have a pair of OME866 I'd sell for $90. Unless you install a Slee 4" kit and call it done you will change set ups a few times. That's kind of part of the game.

corsair23
10-19-2009, 06:04 PM
we'll you could always wait.. you know corsair will be upgrading and you'll have next to new stuff for next to nothing :D ;)

:lmao: Exactly!

nakman
10-19-2009, 06:05 PM
What? And miss the fun progression from stock to OME 2.5" to J-lift to Slee 4" lift :hill:

You know that will inevitably be my progression :rolleyes:

Not unlike my path... :o

nuclearlemon
10-19-2009, 06:07 PM
To muddy the waters further. I have a pair of OME866 I'd sell for $90. Unless you install a Slee 4" kit and call it done you will change set ups a few times. That's kind of part of the game.

what are the 866s? (can't view arb website at work):confused:

Bikeman
10-19-2009, 06:23 PM
If you get that Slee 4" and put on those castor plates, you may need a DC front driveshaft. You may need to re-center your axles as well with adj. panhards. It's kind of a wait and see, and some items you may get away with by not doing, like DC shafts and adjustable control arms.

I say, go big or go home. I went from 2.5" to 3.5" to 5-6". 80's look awesome with 6" of lift, and they wheel better with more ground clearance. If eventually make your rig heavy like everyone elses (not a bad thing), a 4" lift will not net 4" with armor,bumpers, etc. If you go with medium or heavy Slee coils, you will have the full advertised amount of lift needed for 35's with only minor rubbing with all your accessories.

Keep in mind, my 35's rub the rear inner wheelwells with 6" of lift and bumpstops lowered 3-4"!

I had 863's on the rear of my light 80 and didn't mind the ride.

Keep in mind, heavy cruisers like heavier spring rates to keep the body roll down. That's why you don't see a Frankie's Off-Road lift above ~3-3.5".

Tch2fly
10-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Hey Justin, haven't seen you around much glad you still have the 80.

First I would consider my truck on the heavy side so keep in mind "you're results may vary" ;)

Nakman's is right, I have 864s in the rear and I would not recommend them on a light truck....it will ride like crap. You won't get much more lift then the heavies, if any. I got about 1/2" at my weight but a light truck may see no lift over the heavies at a bigger ride penalty.

I have J's with 1.5" spacers up front and when we did Hulk's and Nakman's 4" Slee lift I measured the compressed spring heights of all our trucks and they were within a 1/4" so I would consider my lift the equivilent of a 4". That said, I should do caster plates/DC shaft etc to make a nice DD.

I would go with spacers up front for now and see how it goes. If you need more go with a Slee 4" and get ready to hear the :Princess:'s complain even more :D

farnhamstj
10-19-2009, 10:18 PM
866 are 2.5" over stock height +200-300lbs for a rear of 100. Will fit in the rear of a 80. yield 2" lift I'd guess. I'm currently running 863 (+3",+500lb)
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/suspension_pieces_springs.htm

FJBRADY
10-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Go big.....you can always get those slider/steps for the :Princess:'s. Oh and definitely make it for the Spooky run you will see all mods in one area, including the hotdogger!

jjhancock
10-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the info everybody. I think I'm going to go ahead and throw some spacers on the front and wheel it. Corsair, keep me posted when you've got a lift for sale for dirt cheap that's bigger than the OME medium :)

Bikeman
10-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Justin, are you running castor correction bushings with your OME med kit?

jjhancock
10-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Justin, are you running castor correction bushings with your OME med kit?

Yes, I'm running the yellow CC bushings.

Nay
10-21-2009, 10:21 PM
So you don't need more lift. 315's can be run easily on a 2.5" lift, and they look good at that lift height. I run 37's on a 3.5" lift, and they don't rub at all :D

You could drop your rear bumpstops 1.5" and call it a day. It is easier to keep 35's from rubbing on a smaller lift than a taller lift, because you have less shock travel and 35's fit fully in the wheel well. Go more lift with L shocks and at full droop you'll angle the tire into the wheel well more, which is what causes that pesky inner wheel rubbing.

Here is where 35" trxus rubbed in the rear on my rig (flareless) with OME medium - right about the point the coil tower stops made contact. Your tires are somewhat smaller, so you might even get away with a bit less bumpstop drop.

Why not flex it up and see at what point the tires rub?

Nay
10-21-2009, 10:27 PM
Keep in mind, heavy cruisers like heavier spring rates to keep the body roll down. That's why you don't see a Frankie's Off-Road lift above ~3-3.5".

And what is the base spring rate of a progressive FOR coil :D?

Wait until you put 37's on that thing :hill:

Bikeman
10-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Yes, I'm running the yellow CC bushings.

That may not be enough castor with more lift esp. if the rig won't be weighted down for awhile. I would suggest Slee's blue bushings.

To have a truck drive right, you'll have to throw more money at it than for spacers.

I say leave it there where it is now if you don't want to plan on the possibility of having to correct other items.

jjhancock
10-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Why not flex it up and see at what point the tires rub?

This is my plan. The stinkbug look is far worse with the 315's than with the 285's, and that's part of what's bothering me. In an ideal world, I would like to continue to run the OME 2.5" medium lift for as long as I can. I also don't want to make my 80 a monster truck just yet... well, at least not before I get a 100 series for my DD, at which point it's game on :D

With the new tires, my castor should not have changed as I didn't change the relationship of the axle to the truck itself. The truck is sitting higher now, but that's only due to taller tires, so my caster, without new springs or spacers, should be the same at this very moment as it was when I had the 285's. Now, if I go with spacers up front then my castor will change again, at which point I will likely need to go with the blue bushings.

I'm planning on making the spooky night run this Saturday, and I'm hoping that with a headlight / headlamp I will be able to flex the truck out and get an indication of what I will need to do with my current setup to keep from rubbing too terribly bad.

Thanks all for the info :)

-Justin