PDA

View Full Version : This is what I have to put up with...

subzali
10-19-2009, 04:22 PM
...when looking around on the Tundrasolutions forum...:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/148413-grease-fitting-locations-eight/

Post 3 :banghead:

And Post 4 :D

wesintl
10-19-2009, 04:33 PM
we'll it is rough out there but I have to remember sometimes i was a noob too but I always could find the nipple :eek: :lmao:

Beater
10-19-2009, 04:33 PM
you should see the ducati forum...

nakman
10-19-2009, 04:36 PM
I'm not sure I'd put enough grease in the splines to actually move the shaft. In fact, I'm real sure I'd never do that. Not that I'll post such a thing to the Tundra forum.. but I'll tell you guys- that's way to much grease. :)

corsair23
10-19-2009, 04:58 PM
I'm not sure I'd put enough grease in the splines to actually move the shaft. In fact, I'm real sure I'd never do that. Not that I'll post such a thing to the Tundra forum.. but I'll tell you guys- that's way to much grease. :)

Thanks for saying that Nakman because I was thinking the same exact thing :rolleyes: - I usually do 4-5 squirts in there each oil change. Ben explained to me a couple years ago what filling the shaft up with grease could do and feel like when coming to a stop.

I was interested to see how full my rear driveshaft would be when I pulled it and I was surprised to see that it wasn't even close to full - in fact I could see bare metal at the bottom of the tube and a collection of grease covering one side of the bottom maybe an inch deep...The driveshaft splines had a nice coating of red Mobil-1 grease on them. Based on what I saw I may bump the 4-5 squirts up to 7-8 or so each time.

FJBRADY
10-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Hey, it was not too long ago that I did not know the difference between a bolt and a stud (noob).....but thanks to all of you, especially Robbie for reminding me every time I see him, I know the difference now!

Sheesh and to think I thought a stud was what Michele woke up to every morning. :hill:

ttubb
10-20-2009, 07:55 AM

According to the long-time Toyota tech that rebuilt my transmission and transfer case, greasing the spline too much (hydro lock) is the major cause of cracked transfer cases. When the driveshaft cannot compress, it stresses the case housing. Less is more in this case. T

subzali
10-20-2009, 08:19 AM
yep-I generally do about 3 pumps when i grease it.

farnhamstj
10-20-2009, 08:30 AM
You want to see useless check out the 100series forum on MUD.

Jacket
10-20-2009, 08:42 AM
How many threads have you read where someone dumped the tranny fluid trying to change the engine oil? That's one of my favorites.....

farnhamstj
10-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Where do I take my truck to pay someone to touch up paint the scratch in my bumper?

Corbet
10-20-2009, 10:18 AM
You want to see useless check out the 100series forum on MUD.

One of my all time favorite 100 series threads was a guy who thought by replacing his license plate bulbs with LED's he would see a noticeable MPG improvement due to the ALT not working as hard. I wish I could find it. But in all honesty the 80 section has gotten pretty bad over the last year too.

corsair23
10-20-2009, 12:14 PM
But in all honesty the 80 section has gotten pretty bad over the last year too.

Hmmm...About the time I showed up...Coincidence? :lmao:

Hulk
10-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Hmmm...About the time I showed up...Coincidence? :lmao:

You've been around for longer than a year, Jeff!

EWheeler
10-20-2009, 08:27 PM
How many threads have you read where someone dumped the tranny fluid trying to change the engine oil? That's one of my favorites.....

I watched a college roommate do this on his Subaru. He won't make that mistake again and I will never let him live it down. They will give a mechanical engineering degree to ANYONE.