PDA

View Full Version : Loctite on knuckle studs & nuts?

corsair23
10-20-2009, 01:13 AM
Ok...Thought I'd throw this onto its own thread...

I might just be getting overly paranoid or maybe Timm's LX has it out for him since he bought all those other rigs and its feeling neglected :hill:

What are the pros and cons of using Loctite on the knuckle studs and possibly even the nuts? I'll be replacing all of my knuckle studs here soon (with the new torx head ones) and I don't want those suckers backing out on me. The only reason I'd ever need to replace one in the future (that I can foresee) is if one sheared off and that would complicate matters for me to the point where I'd probably take the easy road and just buy a new knuckle and start fresh :rolleyes:

I was thinking red Loctite on the studs and possibly blue on the nuts?

How about Loctite on the diff housing studs for the 3rd member (had one back out on me on the rear when I pulled it and I've waiting for a replacement)...

Hulk
10-20-2009, 03:55 AM
Blue... nuts... I remember those. :rolleyes:

Beater
10-20-2009, 07:55 AM
like drive flanges - I think preventative maintenance is the right answer here. I would keep those threads clean and look for galling. check after every wheeling trip and quarterly as a regular schedule

Tch2fly
10-20-2009, 08:17 AM
The new stud for the third should have sealant/lthread lock on it ... make sure you use the correct torque spex (don't ask how I know ;) )

As a former Harley owner I believe STRONGLY in locktite :hill: but not found it a big issue with the LC.
I have never used thread locker on the knuckle studs BUT I do check them regularly ... not out of paranoia but rather habit. I like to check everything after any major wheeling or long road trips.
On several occasions I have needed a 1/4 turn to hit the torque spec on 1 or 2 of them but I have no idea how long it would take to get loose enough to drop off or shear :confused:

FJBRADY
10-20-2009, 08:36 AM
I had the knuckle bolts backing out after every run on the 40....sometimes they were not even finger tight :eek:

I now carry a torque wrench and check them before and after every run. I have not had any problems in the last month or so since I have been using just a dab of the blue lock tight.

corsair23
10-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Timm also has a thread up on MUD I've been following...An interesting statement in that thread was this:

I would venture to say, if you check the nuts and they need re-torquing more than once, your studs are probably loose. And if they're loose, torquing the nuts is an exercise in futility - they'll work loose again. It would be best to tear it down and torque the studs correctly.

I've decided that I'm going to go ahead and use red Loctite on the new knuckle studs and I am still contemplating using blue on the nuts. For me possibly having to replace a perfectly good knuckle because I can't get a sheared stud out to replace it is a smaller price to pay than to have the studs back out on me and lose my steering...

Complete front axle service is done what, ever 60K miles which would be the next time the nuts need to come off? That will probably be 10 yrs from now for me and the truck will be 22 yrs old and the trails will all be closed anyway :(

wesintl
10-20-2009, 06:34 PM
That will probably be 10 yrs from now for me and the truck will be 22 yrs old and I will have sold it and upgraded to a 200 series

:lmao: