PDA

View Full Version : Car Tires

DaveInDenver
10-20-2009, 03:39 PM
The tires on our Jetta are worn out and we need tires for it.

We had Arizonian Silver Edition on the Civic, which I never much liked. But they were cheapish and did wear alright. Not as good in the snow as they claimed. Not expecting to mimic a real set of snow tires, but there's no reason why a general use tire can't be pretty good still. As nice as it would be, having dedicated snow tires is not a financial option at this point. We had Blizzaks on the Civic that got killed because we didn't have the money to get summer tires. Turns out in daily commuting the soft rubber of the snows can't go year 'round...

So I am looking for a decent all season that will last a while. Thinking about the Goodyear Eagle GT, Falken SN828 and Yokohama YK520. Any recommendations pro or con?

CardinalFJ60
10-20-2009, 03:59 PM
I recently put on the continental extremecontact DWS (or some long name like that) on my subaru. the DWS stands for dry...wet...snow and have wear indicators as the performance deteriotes over time. They have a verrrry good wear rating (best I researched) and they get decent marks for cruddy weather driving. they are fairly priced.

HTH

DaveInDenver
10-20-2009, 04:03 PM
They came up on my radar but won't work since we have 15" wheels and Conti doesn't make them in 15" sizes. :-(

Yes, I'm stuck in the way back machine running 15x6 on the Jetta and 15x7 on the truck... At least they are alloy on the truck, phat steelies and wheel covers on the VW.

wesintl
10-20-2009, 04:34 PM
I've been happy with the bridgestone g009 and the re950 before that. It worked well in snow new but now with 30k on them not as well. I have snow tires i run in the winter to do skiing so i'm not worried about it.

rdanford
10-20-2009, 06:12 PM
I put the Yoko YK520's on my wife Scion tC...Night and day difference on wet/dry/noise compared to the stock Bridgestone's...60k mile wear rating, been seeing reviews around 40-50k...great price compared to my other vehicles

DaveInDenver
10-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Didn't see that either of the Bridgestones came in 195/65R15. Ended up with Pirelli Cinturato P5, which seemed to be generally rated well enough. I was thinking most likely going for the Yokohama YK520 but none available in my size and so he kicked these Pirellis down to match the price on them and siped them for free. Spent about $50 less than I'd budgeted. Shrug.

Rezarf
10-20-2009, 07:59 PM
I loved the Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread... loved them!

Hulk
10-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Best winter tires I have ever owned:
http://www.nokiantires.com/

TIMZTOY
10-20-2009, 11:32 PM
I've been happy with the bridgestone g009 and the re950 before that. It worked well in snow new but now with 30k on them not as well. I have snow tires i run in the winter to do skiing so i'm not worried about it.

The g009 are a fantastic tire !

Corbet
10-21-2009, 08:56 AM
I loved the Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread... loved them!

This is a good tire. I run them on a demo a few years back for half a winter in Summit County. I was impressed with the snow performance for an "All Season" tire.

PabloCruise
10-21-2009, 12:07 PM
I put a set of Toyo Spectrums on my Civic a good while back - no compliants!

Beater
10-21-2009, 12:39 PM
go goodyear or go home... j/k

I can get you a decent hook up at a company store, like downtown. Especially when they are having a sale. they sometimes give the stores marketing dollars that they can use additionally.

let me know.