PDA

View Full Version : help me make a Christmas List... CB/Ham content

Rezarf
10-20-2009, 09:16 PM
So, I have a CB that works sometimes... I would like to get that up and running and reliable here is what I have:

Cobra 18wsx I think. Weather channels and front speaker.
Crappy cheap-o, too long, beat up cable.
Quick disconnect so I can take the antenna off (cheap-o)
Wilson 1500 antenna tunable tip, I think.

What kind of cable and disconnect should I get? I feel the other two parts are worth keeping around.

As far as an entry level HAM radio goes, what am I looking at spending? Real world costs (radio, cables, antenna etc)? I have no aversion to buying used either, as long as it is a good deal.

Thanks dudes.

Hulk
10-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Yaesu FT-857D would make an excellent Christmas present. Link (https://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=207&idproduct=1153)

Mendocino
10-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Yaesu FT-857D would make an excellent Christmas present. Link (https://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=207&idproduct=1153)

That's what I have and it's great!:cool: The price in the link Hulk posted is very good. There is really not a lot of good deals on used stuff. HAM gear generally holds its value well (I am not sure if that is good or bad...:confused:).

jacdaw
10-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Drew, did you see the radio I just posted in MO FS/W? That's a good deal if it's still available. Would still need an antenna for it.

Rezarf
10-21-2009, 06:11 PM
ouch! those aint cheap! I could put in a kicking stereo in the cruiser for that much... and use it more ;)

Mendocino
10-21-2009, 07:29 PM
ouch! those aint cheap! I could put in a kicking stereo in the cruiser for that much... and use it more ;)

You can't talk to Spain and order a pizza with autopatch with a kickin' stereo...:cool:

DaveInDenver
10-21-2009, 08:16 PM
You can't talk to Spain and order a pizza with autopatch with a kickin' stereo...:cool:
But good tunes do go a long way.

Convert
10-21-2009, 08:29 PM
But good tunes do go a long way.

That has to be the shortest post I have ever seen from Dave in the Ham section!! You feeling ok Dave?:lmao:

Rezarf
10-24-2009, 10:36 AM
How about getting my CB up to snuff? (first post)

wesintl
10-24-2009, 11:04 AM
you should be able to get something like the 1802 or 2800 and an antenna for ~175

Humf, looks like both are dist and you have the choice of 1900 or 2900

wesintl
11-13-2009, 05:27 PM
here you go drew. complete package
http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/1464861828.html

rover67
11-13-2009, 05:55 PM
wow, that seems like a great deal!!

jacdaw
11-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Only thing that worries me is a new ham using a freq'ed radio. Until you really know where not to transmit, you're risking a lot there.

Hey Drew, back to the original question, I'd be more than happy to get your CB up to snuff. And I bet I have the perfect length of RG-316 (super skinny to fit panel gaps) coax for it. Only 6 feet long with PL-259s on each end.

Corbet
11-13-2009, 10:49 PM
If you want to go HAM you should be able to get a basic single band radio plus antenna etc... for under $300 new. Problem with HAM is there are so many cool upgrades and additional features you end up spending more on a nicer radio. (as Matt posted)

For as little as I've used my HAM I could have easily have done a basic radio but being able to monitor two channels at the same time is pretty cool. Example, at CM09 you can chat on the frequency assigned to your trail run as well as monitor the base camp at the same time. Or listen in on other runs for that matter given the extended range over CB.

I really like the HAM just wish more people had them. It seems most of the trail runs I've been on outside our club I never use it. :( I need to talk JT(trapper50cal) and a few others down here to get their license.

Anyway back to fixing your CB. Sounds like your connection between the antenna and the radio needs some attention. Should not cost much but will make a huge improvement.

Red_Chili
11-14-2009, 10:27 AM
I can't talk to Spain and order a pizza with autopatch with a ham!

:lmao:

But I can talk to E-hill from Porcupine Rim at 5 watts.