PDA

View Full Version : 2008+ Sequoia vs 2008+ Cruiser

chtucker
10-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Would you compare the two? We are contemplating selling the FJ after the trial fit of car seats....

A 200 series would be nice, but ++++

How does the drivetrain compare? How about the safety features? The Sequoia seems a bit bigger... but they are 1/3 less $$$ How does the tow capacity compare?

Gas mileage is irrelevant as my wife commutes 1.3 miles to work...it would be a family vehicle on the weekends...

Anyone driven both?

thefatkid
10-21-2009, 09:06 AM
If you get the 5.7l they both will tow the same. The 4.6l is strong but has a lower towing cap. The 4.6 does get better milage.

The Sequoia has IRS, if you plan on wheeling this is a drawback. The solid rear axle would be better in this case.

They look close to the same, smell the same, even the ride feels about the same. They share many drivetrain componets. The Sequoia has 3 engine options though, 4.6l, 5.7l, and 5.7 flex fuel. Flex fuel might be cool if fuel prices shoot up again. I'm not too sure that you would find much E85 in Leadville.

If it was for my wife I would go Sequoia. We perfer cloth seats, the SR5 package is about perfect for our needs. Leather, Nav, Sunroofs, and power folding seats are nice but not needed. If you equip a Sequoia with like componets as a Cruiser it will cost very close to the same.

Rezarf
10-21-2009, 10:05 AM
Well, I know how most of this forum will vote, but we have owned our 2001 sequoia for about 5 months now. We love it! Think of it as a glorified minivan and you will get the idea. If you are looking for a wheeler... this aint it.

That said, I'd like to buy one and build it into a wheeler... it'd just take lots of thinking to do it right. Did I mention I love this truck, nothing is nicer on the highway, nothing. Now, my other rig is an FJ40 so I am easy to please ;)

Squishy!
10-21-2009, 04:10 PM
I would definitely second thefatkid. The gadgets on the Cruiser are way :cool:, but there is the price tag.

Personally I would go for an older Sequoia. You can get 'em for a lot less $$$ and the 4.7L is a strong, tried and true engine. 2005-2007 are my personal fav years. (VVT-i on the V-8)

zornff
10-21-2009, 08:17 PM
I have to say that the sequoia is not in the same league as the cruiser. We shopped for both and the size of the sequoia is huge, and we traded in an excursion ! The fit and finish of the cruiser is awesome, as are the comforts. It handles incredible, not like an suv. We bought an '08 dealer demo early this year and saved huge $$.
I'm not bashing the sequoia, after all it IS a toyota, but you cannot really compare the two as they are way to different.

Nay
10-21-2009, 10:39 PM
I can't imagine giving up all the extra room for a lower price given you aren't wheeling either one.

Of course, I have four kids, so 3rd rows matter to me. :headbang: