PDA

View Full Version : Stock Steel Wheel Widening in Denver?

PabloCruise
10-21-2009, 01:21 PM
I have been following a thread on MUD: http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/257725-went-back-old-school-rims-what-do-ya-think-4.html

It seems a number of folks have taken old 40 steelie wheels and had them widened (or had the centers remounted in new outers) to 8 inch wheels.

I like the idea of this for a more "recommended" application for a 10.5 inch tire.

Has anyone done this? Is there a wheel shop in Denver/Longmont/Greeley that does this?

It seems to me like this would be the perfect use for some drum brake rims...

I love the shot of these on a Pig: :cool: (Note the pics are of 10" wide)

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=364942&stc=1&d=1256005557

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=364943&stc=1&d=1256005557

nuclearlemon
10-21-2009, 01:30 PM
keep in mind, they have to be perfectly centered and should be "balanced", so go with someone very reputable

PabloCruise
10-21-2009, 02:06 PM
keep in mind, they have to be perfectly centered and should be "balanced", so go with someone very reputable

Any recommendations?

I figure if anyone would know a shop in Denver it would be you Ige!

Beater
10-21-2009, 02:32 PM
not in denver. there is a place that used in the springs that did porsche wheels and the like. best repair in the state from what I recall. maybe marco remembers?

jettaglxdriver
10-21-2009, 03:08 PM
There was a wheel repair place here in Denver that did a set of VW wheels for a friend and when he was done told him he would never do another set. They did turn out great and held up but I don't remember who it was.

DaveInDenver
10-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Used be in Arvada, now in Denver: Tru Design Wheel (http://www.trudesignwheel.net/index.html)

PabloCruise
10-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Used be in Arvada, now in Denver: True Design Wheel (http://www.trudesignwheel.net/index.html)

Looks good!

I appreciate it!

Now, does anyone have a set of drum brake rims they want to get rif of? :D

nuclearlemon
10-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Looks good!

I appreciate it!

Now, does anyone have a set of drum brake rims they want to get rif of? :D

i got a set with the centers already knocked out for the same thing, but you can't have em:D

Uncle Ben
10-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Used be in Arvada, now in Denver: Tru Design Wheel (http://www.trudesignwheel.net/index.html)

Fixed the biz name for ya...

Jim is the one who built my new beadlocks on Wild Rice! He also built my previous beadlocks that were on Wild Rice that are now on Jerry's Cruiser. He has my business locked in, I will not stray! ;) He can build any wheel or rework any wheel!

subzali
10-21-2009, 05:28 PM
UB, why did you have to have custom beadlocks made? Was it a backspacing/clearance issue?

Uncle Ben
10-21-2009, 07:51 PM
UB, why did you have to have custom beadlocks made? Was it a backspacing/clearance issue?

Check mine out sometime....you'll understand! These new ones are custom back spaced too as most 17" mass produced wheels come in 4.5 or 5" backspacing....mine are 3.5" The set that Jerry now has have been through heck and back with a couple flops and one roll. I replaced the outer rings once and they are due for a change again....rest of the wheel is still true.

PabloCruise
10-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Fixed the biz name for ya...

Jim is the one who built my new beadlocks on Wild Rice! He also built my previous beadlocks that were on Wild Rice that are now on Jerry's Cruiser. He has my business locked in, I will not stray! ;) He can build any wheel or rework any wheel!

Thanks for this input UB! I feel more comfrotable now approaching this project!

Now I just need to find a set of donor drum-brake wheels...

rover67
10-22-2009, 02:45 PM
not in denver. there is a place that used in the springs that did porsche wheels and the like. best repair in the state from what I recall. maybe marco remembers?

dunno.. the places we used were in fruity california..

Uncle Ben
10-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks for this input UB! I feel more comfrotable now approaching this project!

Now I just need to find a set of donor drum-brake wheels...

A note about Jim (TruDesign). Like many folks of his knowledge base he is not one to teach the ignorant! He has forgotten more about what he does than most people will ever know so if he comes across grumpy, don't take it personal!!! When Clifton first started Poison Spider Customs Jim built all his wheels. When you visit Jim, look around. You will see many brand name, high end wheels on display....Jim only displays what he builds! From tractor to show car including ultra lightweight road racing!

PabloCruise
10-22-2009, 03:17 PM
A note about Jim (TruDesign). Like many folks of his knowledge base he is not one to teach the ignorant! He has forgotten more about what he does than most people will ever know so if he comes across grumpy, don't take it personal!!! When Clifton first started Poison Spider Customs Jim built all his wheels. When you visit Jim, look around. You will see many brand name, high end wheels on display....Jim only displays what he builds! From tractor to show car including ultra lightweight road racing!

Understood - He does not have time for fools!

I can appreciate that if you are telling me his customer service is A+...

Jacket
10-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Looks like you have some good local options, but if all else fails you can try Stockton Wheel in California. They did the steel wheels for my FJ40, and I know they do widening.

nuclearlemon
10-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Looks like you have some good local options, but if all else fails you can try Stockton Wheel in California. They did the steel wheels for my FJ40, and I know they do widening.

i've heard they're rather pricey...what did you think?

Jacket
10-24-2009, 08:52 AM
I guess it depends on your perspective. As compared to some prices on Toyota wheels, they weren't bad at all. I knew the size I was after did not come from any off the shelf wheel makers (OEM or otherwise), so custom (or wheel spacers) was my only option.

I certainly could have found some wheels for less, but I liked the durability and plain styling of the "OEM-like" wheels I ended up with. So I paid a bit more to get exactly what I wanted (which was about $100 / wheel).

Uncle Ben
10-24-2009, 09:01 AM
I guess it depends on your perspective. As compared to some prices on Toyota wheels, they weren't bad at all. I knew the size I was after did not come from any off the shelf wheel makers (OEM or otherwise), so custom (or wheel spacers) was my only option.

I certainly could have found some wheels for less, but I liked the durability and plain styling of the "OEM-like" wheels I ended up with. So I paid a bit more to get exactly what I wanted (which was about $100 / wheel).

Thats really cool Jacket!

Old40Dog
10-26-2009, 11:58 PM
I've used Tru Design for repair of custom alum wheels that were bent beyond belief on two occassions. He was able to repair (combination of bending and welding) with complete success. You could not tell from the front side. Although I've only had experience with alum wheel, if anyone can do what you're asking with steel wheels, Jim's most likely the guy in CO. I believe he'll be upfront with you if he thinks there's a risk it won't work or if he just can't do it. Give him a call and you might need to go by and talk to him. Here's his web site info; http://www.trudesignwheel.net/