PDA

View Full Version : Noob question, again...

corsair23
10-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Noob question alert...Be gentle, I'm a learnin' as I go :hill:

Is there a specific amount of time I should wait after putting the 3rd member back in before I fill up the diff to allow everything to dry/seal?

The FIPG stuff says I have ~15 mins from time of application to being done so I gotta be quick :rolleyes:

PabloCruise
10-22-2009, 04:21 PM
I don't think I ever put any sealer on when reloading my third member - no leaks.

Just make sure it is torqued evenly and fill!

wesintl
10-22-2009, 04:22 PM
72 hours

j/k

corsair23
10-22-2009, 05:28 PM
72 hours

Are you serious or pulling my leg Wes :confused: - Never can tell with you :hill:

Learned today that I should be using moly grease on the yoke...Somewhere along the line I thought I read moly in the knuckles/birfs and wheel bearing grease everywhere else. Another lesson learned...

Beater
10-22-2009, 05:33 PM
oil bath them there birfs...

let the flaming begin

wesintl
10-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Are you serious or pulling my leg Wes :confused: - Never can tell with you :hill:

Learned today that I should be using moly grease on the yoke...Somewhere along the line I thought I read moly in the knuckles/birfs and wheel bearing grease everywhere else. Another lesson learned...

only believe half of what you see none of what you hear :thumb:

I pretty much filler up when done.:beer:

subzali
10-22-2009, 06:03 PM
I've waited 15 minutes like when I was broken in Moab and we used FIPG to get it on the road and back home, but normally I would wait an hour or so just to be sure. If you CAN wait, it doesn't hurt. If you CAN'T wait, then just fill it up and go.

Romer
10-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Once you have the diff properly torqued, Your good, but it will take you a few to put the axles back in. Fill up once its all together.

RicardoJM
10-22-2009, 07:27 PM
All good advice, the only other thing I would add is wait until you have put the drain plug back in;).

corsair23
10-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Thanks guys....Yeah, I guess having the axles and new drain plug back in would be key :hill:

treerootCO
10-22-2009, 09:07 PM
oh crud! you are supposed to put oil in there!??!! :eek:

subzali
10-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Yeah I thought that was where the water was supposed to go? Doesn't that cool the gears? :confused:

TIMZTOY
10-22-2009, 11:08 PM
All good advice, the only other thing I would add is wait until you have put the drain plug back in;).

Good advice ;)

DaveInDenver
10-23-2009, 05:31 AM
Yeah, I've done that. WTF is the level of my engine oil not going up? :doh: Good thing I keep a bag of oil dry...

Rezarf
10-23-2009, 09:54 AM

Good advice, and the spacer that keeps the axles apart and the c-clips in place... yeah, you need that in there too DAMHIK. :o:rant:

nakman
10-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Only thing I'd add is after you put the FIPG on then snug the 3rd on there, but don't torque em yet. Wait 15-20 minutes, then torque it. By then your FIPG is a gasket, and now you're compressing a gasket, which will seal better than FIPG that was just smashed down from the get-go. The procedure also works well with silicone on inspection covers, on pre-FF axles.

subzali
10-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Good advice, and the spacer that keeps the axles apart and the c-clips in place... yeah, you need that in there too DAMHIK. :o:rant:

I don't think 80 series Cruisers have to worry about this, but that doesn't sound fun in your case Drew!

corsair23
10-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Only thing I'd add is after you put the FIPG on then snug the 3rd on there, but don't torque em yet. Wait 15-20 minutes, then torque it.

Good advice...I'll try that on the front since the rear is done. Took me about 20 mins from start of FIPG application to start of torquing the bolts. I know the FIPG hadn't fully set up yet (probably due to the lack of warmth) as I have a nice orange "ring" about the joint of the 3rd member and axle housing.

Of course that is after an hour of planning, making sure I had the 3rd member lined up, flipping the gasket back and forth wonder which way should face out, yadda, yadda, yadda. I guess I'll find out later today if it leaks when I go to fill it up :rolleyes: - Then on to the front hopefully

RicardoJM
10-23-2009, 11:44 AM
I guess I'll find out later today if it leaks when I go to fill it up :rolleyes:

It's not going to leak:thumb:.