PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in a refreshed 1f?

74fj40
10-22-2009, 10:50 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a 2f with the drivetrain combo i've been looking for. just curious if I should buy it, put it in my LC and sell my old engine, or split the transmission/trans from it and put just the transmission/trans in my LC and sell the rest...

Anyways, if I was too sell it I'd start here. its a 1f out of a 1972 fj40, was refreshed about 4 years ago, new bearings through out, new rings, rebuilt/shavedhead, new hardened valve seats, ground and lapped valves, new umbrella style valve seals. it runs great but the carb could use a rebuild... was never rebuilt.

TIA Max

Rezarf
10-23-2009, 09:57 AM
I'd swap it all over Max, just my .02 but you could gain a few of the advantages of the 2f. However, if the newer motor is a total mystery and you aren't sure what it runs like, you could be taking a step backwards.

Hows that for double talk? ;)

nuclearlemon
10-23-2009, 11:14 AM
A properly freshened 1f will be a great motor...i'd stick with it.

Hulk
10-23-2009, 12:38 PM
I tend to agree with Ige. A solid 1F motor that runs well will provide plenty of power and reliability. A 2F isn't going to provide you with benefits worth the money and effort you will put into the swap.

Rebuild the carb on the 1F and drive it for another 15 years.

timmbuck2
10-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Either way, I could use a 2f or a 1f...my 64 has a chevy bel air motor from sometime in the 50's. :)

Air Randy
10-23-2009, 01:49 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a 2f with the drivetrain combo i've been looking for. just curious if I should buy it, put it in my LC and sell my old engine, or split the transmission/trans from it and put just the transmission/trans in my LC and sell the rest...

Anyways, if I was too sell it I'd start here. its a 1f out of a 1972 fj40, was refreshed about 4 years ago, new bearings through out, new rings, rebuilt/shavedhead, new hardened valve seats, ground and lapped valves, new umbrella style valve seals. it runs great but the carb could use a rebuild... was never rebuilt.

TIA Max

Do you have to buy the 2F too in order to get the SM465 & 3 speed TC? I assume thats the drivetrain you want that you refer to? If the package deal price is really good, go ahead and buy the whole thing. If the 2F is in good shape and runs well you benefit from larger cubic inches and a much improved oiling system with the spin-on filter. If you think it might need a major overhaul, sell it as-is and stay with your 1F.

If you have to sell 1 or the other you may be able to get a better price and quicker sale on a 2F versus the 1F.

74fj40
10-25-2009, 07:20 PM
I do. I already have a spin off oil filter adapter on my motor. but the oiling system to the rockers is different. The only plus I see is I have the ability of going to a 3FE head at some point... but other than that...not much different.