PDA

View Full Version : Need Purchase Advise ASAP Please

Telly
10-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Saw a 82 FJ40 parked on side of the road with a for sale sign today. So I immediatly pulled over and the owner happened to be there. It's stock except a lift,tires and paint. It has been painted white, he thought the orginal color was tan but he wasn't sure. Rust is starting to bubble through on the rear sill and there already has been some bondo work done in the past. Looked like the rear tub was the only rust repair area. The guy has owned it for 10 years and used to own a Toyota dealership in the Denver area (I'm not sure which one). 126,000 miles, solid drivetrain and frame. Everything works and it looks GOOD.

He was asking $9K was will take $8.5. What do you all think?

BTW, I need this like I need a hole in my head.
Thanks. Doug

Jacket
10-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Sounds expensive to me. Got a picture?

Shark Bait
10-23-2009, 02:39 PM
'82 is probably a little rarer than most, since we stopped seeing them here in '83 or '84. Seems like a lot of money. Folks will ask for whatever they think they can get. What are your plans for it? If you are going to build it you might as well go with one that is a little cheaper and maybe not in such good shape. The rest of us have plenty of parts to help you out with. Look what Ricardo has done with his. If you're going to keep it the way it is and just drive it, maybe I would buy it. As long as the engine is OK. No major oil leaks or other obvious problems. Does it have AC? If you want a set up wheeler and want to spend a few dollars more, I'll sell you mine. Beats a hole in the head. :D

subzali
10-23-2009, 02:47 PM
for something that's been bondo'd and repainted that's way more than I would spend.

Telly
10-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Sorry, I didn't think of snapping a pic until after I left. I know values of 80 series TLC's (I've had several) but I am no means an expert on values of 40's. I thought the last year of the 40 would be worth some big bucks, even if it has some tub bondo and a paint job? It does have A/C and the rig is very clean inside and out. The interior made me drool.

I already impulsed bought a 66 FJ40 about 6 months ago that is rust free but needs about everything.

Damn...a have a land cruiser addiction!

Mendocino
10-23-2009, 02:56 PM
I have a very clean 73 FJ40 with basically NO RUST. It has a small block and a 4" lift and runs great. I would sell it for $5000 if you are interested.

BTW-The winch is now on Hulk's rig.

Jacket
10-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Marco (rover67) just bought an '82. Check out his (there's a thread somewhere around here) and compare details.

Telly
10-23-2009, 03:09 PM
I'm glad I asked about the value. I thought his price was not bad considering the year and condition.

Mendocino, you trying to kill me?

PabloCruise
10-23-2009, 03:12 PM
If it has AC and PS there is some value there... The more original it is, the more it is worth.

You will have to determine how motivated he is to sell!

timmbuck2
10-23-2009, 03:25 PM
hmm...what part of town? doesn't motoloco specialize in flipping 1980's FJ40s?

Telly
10-23-2009, 03:34 PM
If you see this rig, you will want it...trust me. It's located in Manitou Springs (just west of C/S). I'm going to call him and discuss the info you all have shared with me. Maybe he will come down to around $7000...but I doubt it.

Anyone interested in a rust-free 66?:D

Mendocino
10-23-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm glad I asked about the value. I thought his price was not bad considering the year and condition.

Mendocino, you trying to kill me?

No; I just have a "surplus" of 40s and need to get rid of one so I can buy a 100 and an E55 AMG. Btw- I have owned this for about 8 years, know all but about 3 years of its entire history and know it has been garaged for the at least 12 years.

SteveH
10-23-2009, 03:58 PM
I bought a 1980 FJ40, no AC or PS, 100K miles, rebuilt 2F (very strong). Totally bone stock except for headers and a working 8274 Warn winch (and tragic silver paint job). Paid $3200. Needs rear quarters, and some patching here and there. I plan to add minitruck PS. I think the one you're quoting is too expensive, unless the bondo is very minor. Unless you can paint it yourself, add quite a bit for a decent paint job. If you want a cherryed-out garage queen, this might be a great place to start. Still - $5K is where I see that coming in. The economy is very soft for that price/condition range, so don't jump on it, as if it's the last FJ40 of its sort on the planet. Just my opinion.

Steve

rover67
10-23-2009, 04:22 PM
I think that's way too high unless the rust is minimal. Seems like it's not though. Does it have PS and AC? Also, from what I hear and have seen, a later model 40 with no or little rust is gonna be hard to find... So, depending on what you can get him down to it might be worth it to buy it anyways. I guess what it is ultimately worth is up to you and how bad you want it.

It would be really cool if it had stock PS and AC though... even just stock PS would be really cool I think. Does it have a top on it? Mine didn't I wish it had.

Telly
10-23-2009, 06:02 PM
No ps but it does have factory a/c. Also has a Warn 8274. The rust was concentrated only at the rear quarters and sill. Looked like no cancer anywhere else. Frame and undercarriage was rust free. I did take it for a drive, I forgot how doggy that 2f is...my first cruiser was an 85 FJ60. My wife's 97 s/c 80 has alittle more pep.

Anywho, I'm going to ask the seller to call me if/when he plans to lower his price.

Thanks for all the feedback! :):beer:
Doug

TIMZTOY
10-23-2009, 10:44 PM
I have a very clean 73 FJ40 with basically NO RUST. It has a small block and a 4" lift and runs great. I would sell it for $5000 if you are interested.

BTW-The winch is not on Hulk's rig.

I would highlly reccomend buying mendocino's red 40 it is super sweet and has everything you could want on a rig. IMO unless your wanting a stock daily driver. (but who wants one of those)

rover67
10-23-2009, 11:30 PM
the stock AC is pretty damned neat...

Mendocino
10-24-2009, 08:33 AM
I would highlly reccomend buying mendocino's red 40 it is super sweet and has everything you could want on a rig. IMO unless your wanting a stock daily driver. (but who wants one of those)

Thanks Tim!:) It is really sweet and I really don't want to get rid of it, but alas, too many vehicles...

BTW-clean title and will pass smog in the Front Range.:D

PabloCruise
10-25-2009, 10:48 PM
no PS - low ball it...

Telly
10-26-2009, 04:18 PM
He sold if Saturday for $9,000 bucks.

Mendocino, I mentioned your rig to the seller (his name is Chris) and he seemed very interested. He gave me his email address to give to you. I'll shoot you a pm with it. Good luck!

Doug