PDA

View Full Version : Jenny Creek

Chris
10-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Anyone know what this is about?

Description: The US Forest Services proposes to reroute approximately 3/4 of a mile of a four-wheeled drive road out of a creek bed, and restore the current road to near natural conditions.

Development on the proposal starts in January, and work is expected to start next September and finish in August 2011.

Rezarf
10-24-2009, 06:50 PM
interesting... :confused:

nakman
10-25-2009, 01:26 AM
yes, how well do you know the trail? You drive up then down a steep hill with a switchback at the bottom... then around a stump, then through a little dirty mud puddle. Then up a hill to a little rocky area, then the trail looks like it splits- left and it's off camber down to the creek, and straight and it's uphill into the woods. The proposal is to close off the creek portion, and instead route it through the woods. It meets up with the other trail about a half mile up...

This is a good move, IMO, reducing creek driving has to make someone happy, but it also removes that one little shelf next to the river that is more eroded now than ever, and I'm always afraid I'm going to slip off. There's actually a created bypass now with even more river driving to avoid that section.. probably best it's just left behind.

Chris
10-25-2009, 10:23 AM
I know the trail well, the 3/4 mile is more than just the created bypass. It sounds like the whole creek section will be closed, it's a short trail excluding the uphill woods section. Reducing creek driving will make many people happy, closing the trail totally will make even more happy.

Uncle Ben
10-25-2009, 11:50 AM
The proposed closure is a good choice! We will lose the trail completely if someone rolls off the off camber section and dumps vital engine fluids into the creek. It has taken a long time to get the re-route done as there is private property involved.

Chris
10-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Back to my original question; is this eliminating all of the creek trail?

Caribou Sandstorm
10-25-2009, 04:17 PM
I am guessing yes but others may know better.

Are we scheduled to help with the excavation of the new section?? That might be fun....

powderpig
10-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Yes, you would not be able to drive in the creek any more. There is even talk of a possiable bridge over the creek, so no vehicles will enter the creek at all. I can only see this as a good thing. As more and more trails are closed do to soil entering the creek that does vital damage to the trout.
So Chris, what is you major concern about this?
What is your thoughts?

Red_Chili
10-25-2009, 04:39 PM
To my knowledge, yes, this eliminates all of the creek portion of the route. And yes, I too love water. Ah well. It is sobering however when you see the rainbow discoloration on the water surface, after a vehicle has passed. Not all THAT frequent, but... once is bad enough.

4x4s and water are generally and increasingly frowned upon ... better the reroute than closure. And believe me, there is a lot of pressure to close routes in Boulder County.

I think it speaks well of the BRD that they are going to the time and effort to do the reroute, rather than the easy way of closure. I believe this is because, frankly, the 4x4 community has demonstrated a willingness to get behind restoration and do what is needed.

And of course... by "4x4 community" I specifically mean, RISING SUN!

:risingsun

:camping:

Red_Chili
10-25-2009, 04:40 PM
I think it speaks well of the BRD that they are going to the time and effort to do the reroute, rather than the easy way of closure.

Well duh... of course, doing some followup THANK YOU calls to the BRD would be in order here!!!!

Chris
10-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Yes, you would not be able to drive in the creek any more. There is even talk of a possiable bridge over the creek, so no vehicles will enter the creek at all. I can only see this as a good thing. As more and more trails are closed do to soil entering the creek that does vital damage to the trout.
So Chris, what is you major concern about this?
What is your thoughts?

Thanks Robbie, I have no major concerns about this. I posted all I had heard and wanted to know what it was all about. I don't have any problem with it, just wondering if it was going to be as dramatic as Slaughterhouse & Rampart.

powderpig
10-25-2009, 05:17 PM
BRD has a willingness to keep some of these open and has gone out on a limb(In a way). Just recently there is a sort of closure at the top of Jenny creek trail where we have done a lot of work to keep the trail open. Bill knows more on this. But it seems BRD is allowing Jenny creek trail a way through this closure from the 70's. Even with some pressure from a group to close it. So we must be doing something right for this to happen.

MDH33
01-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Just bumping this thread back up to the top since it is going to be on the agenda at the BRD OHV meeting Thursday. Any input from the club regarding our capacity to help with the closure/reroute? Thanks.

:beer:

Uncle Ben
01-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Just bumping this thread back up to the top since it is going to be on the agenda at the BRD OHV meeting Thursday. Any input from the club regarding our capacity to help with the closure/reroute? Thanks.

:beer:

I, of course, will help do what ever is needed. That includes time, equipment, resources.

Hulk
01-19-2010, 11:05 AM
I think we're all in.

rover67
01-19-2010, 11:43 AM
in. I may be able to attend the meeting with ya too.

wesintl
01-19-2010, 12:09 PM
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2206805/2/istockphoto_2206805_poker_all_in.jpg

Red_Chili
01-19-2010, 12:17 PM
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2206805/2/istockphoto_2206805_poker_all_in.jpg

MDH33
01-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Very good. :thumb:

MDH33
01-22-2010, 09:53 AM
So, Marco, myself and John made it to the BRD meeting last night. Sounds like the reroute is on hold for another year. We might be doing some signage on the trail when the snow melts off. Stay tuned.

SRT08BUS
01-22-2010, 02:34 PM
So, Marco, myself and John made it to the BRD meeting last night. Sounds like the reroute is on hold for another year. We might be doing some signage on the trail when the snow melts off. Stay tuned.

Let me know what i can do.

Uncle Ben
01-22-2010, 02:35 PM

Thank you guys! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::thumb::thumb:

Kenon698
01-22-2010, 08:13 PM
double thanks!!

nakman
01-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Did they share any info on route 501.1? That's the "new route" that was highlighted in this thread http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=11834

how does one get there? The map looks like we'll need to rent a couple of these...
http://www.javno.com/slike/slike_3/r1/g2008/m03/y167792570970284.jpg

MDH33
01-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Did they share any info on route 501.1? That's the "new route" that was highlighted in this thread http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=11834

We spoke briefly with Brian and Colleen about it. It's always been an accessible route from the Winter Park side and they didn't sound optimistic or supportive of it ever connecting to the tunnel or Boulder Wagon routes, ever. If I don't make it to the meeting next week due to being a new dad, Marco or John C. should be able to fill in the group on what we chatted about. :thumb:

rover67
01-27-2010, 03:11 PM
I didn't have a copy of the most recent map when we were at the last BRD Meeting...

We did chat breifly about it and it seemed like nothing had changed though. I just looked at the final version posted online and it does indeed look like 501.1 is open for all motor vehicle use. This is weird given what we heard when we were at the meeting. I wonder if it is some sneaky way to say there is a road open there and satisfy the law.

edit:

just saw Martin's post after hitting submit.

I think this is more road than was labled as being "open" before..

corsair23
01-27-2010, 03:44 PM
What are the chances were could get 60+ on the new maps (when they are available if they are not already) to hand out at a future meeting?

Seems like going anywhere without a map in hand and GPS to prove where you are at is silly crazy anymore :(

SRT08BUS
01-27-2010, 03:51 PM
What are the chances were could get 60+ on the new maps (when they are available if they are not already) to hand out at a future meeting?

Seems like going anywhere without a map in hand and GPS to prove where you are at is silly crazy anymore :(

I like that idea:thumb: Thanks again Jeff, the service department has the calender up and they say it looks great and they're right.

rover67
01-27-2010, 04:35 PM
I can stop by the BRD offices and see if I can grab some. They said they'd be available soon when we were at the meeting..

edit:

Just called. Supposedly they are actually coming in tonight. They will put 60 aside for us when they get in. I'll call again in the morning to see if they actually came in and i'll find some time to swing by there and pick them up.

corsair23
01-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks Marco :thumb:

nakman
01-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Yeah, that's awesome thank you. Will definitely be interested in a run up there from the WP side this summer, once things melt off a bit.

rover67
01-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Sooo......

I called today again and it sounds like they got some maps in but not the MVUM maps...

She asked me to try back again next week.

I'll stay on it, but at this point it dosen't look good for the meeting.....

Sorry dudes..

corsair23
01-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Thanks for sticking with it Marco! Fingers crossed but I don't think anyone is going up there soon so realistically anytime between now and the April meeting would work :D

Might try to get 100 if they'll let you grab that many so every club member can have one plus a few left for visitors at meetings :thumb:

rover67
01-28-2010, 04:44 PM
I felt like I had to try and convince her to get 60.... so I don't wanna push my luck just yet. Maybe when I'm there I can try and get more.

corsair23
01-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Sounds good...Maybe a little at a time is a better approach :) - Just tell them that the club has a LOT of concerned and responsible people that want to make sure we don't go off trail :D

SRT08BUS
01-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Sounds good...Maybe a little at a time is a better approach :) - Just tell them that the club has a LOT of concerned and responsible people that want to make sure we don't go off trail :D

I would also ask them why the haven't reached out to our club or clubs like ours, Heeps And Bummers, included on how many of the them and how to distribute them better.