PDA

View Full Version : Get your rigs ready for winter.

jettaglxdriver
10-27-2009, 06:57 AM
Were supposed to get some snow tomorrow. If you have not done so yet today would be the day to get ready. I know this is pretty much preaching to the quire but we have some new people from out of state (not you Timztoy you are from Misery originally so you should know better).

-Fuel up
-Check fluids
-check your tires
-have your jumper cables ready
-have your recovery strap ready for the Jeeps that get stuck
-Check your wiper blades and fluid
-Check your lights because there is nothing worse than following a one tail light or one brake light vehicle in a snow storm
-Keep some cold weather gear in your truck (blanket, gloves, hat, boots, etc)
-Consider a granola bar or two buried in your console just in case
-Get a good ice scraper

In other words have fun playing in the snow.:beer::beer:

ElliottB
10-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Quire? You're just so fuhnetik.

I'm excited to see it snow, might be my first REAL storm. :D

jettaglxdriver
10-27-2009, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=ElliottB;123560]Quire? You're just so fuhnetik.

LOL I knew I had it all wrong but wow I was far off. Choir. There happy now.
:lmao::beer:

nakman
10-27-2009, 04:24 PM
And do your starter contacts! If you've already got a sketchy starter, then yours will fail this winter at the worst possible time.. AMHIK.... :)

farnhamstj
10-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Had Joe at Slee do mine a couple weeks back.
It's under the intake manifold on the 100.PITA

DaveInDenver
10-27-2009, 08:08 PM
And do your starter contacts! If you've already got a sketchy starter, then yours will fail this winter at the worst possible time.. AMHIK.... :)
So true. So, so true. Mine failed in the Loveland parking lot, snowing, dark, after a few barley pops in the Rathskeller... :doh: I LOVE having (a) stick shift and (2) snow cat operators willing to help push start an old Toyota driving freeheeler. See if you get that sorta help at Vail (sorry Farnham). :-P

TIMZTOY
10-28-2009, 12:20 AM
Well mines running ish! I still can't give any gass so I have to creap to work in the morning

farnhamstj
10-28-2009, 08:52 AM
Vail's got heated parking ramps. I'll also offer any help to anyone stuck in Vail 970-470-1102

Red_Chili
10-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Had Joe at Slee do mine a couple weeks back.
It's under the intake manifold on the 100.PITA
The STARTER??!?! You gotta be kidding me.

There must be a pool in the engineering section at Tokyo to see who can come up with the best way to make the starter inaccessible. I wonder who won.

The early trucks were a relatively weak attempt at this, but they did definitely achieve some inconvenience.

DaveInDenver
10-28-2009, 09:56 AM

There must be a pool in the engineering section at Tokyo to see who can come up with the best way to make the starter inaccessible. I wonder who won.

The early trucks were a relatively weak attempt at this, but they did definitely achieve some inconvenience.
On the 22R-E they I think figured that they'd done as much as they could on the starter, being that it's all the way down on the flywheel and there's only so much obscuration they could do without making it seem intentional on an inline 4 banger. So they worked their magic on the fuel filter instead, which is truly torture. Nothing costing $15 should be that damn hard to replace.

jettaglxdriver
10-28-2009, 10:00 AM
lol

farnhamstj
10-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Yeah on the 100 they put the starter in the middle of the V for V8. I got a new battery this fall and a spare red top optima too. Tested out the seat heaters this morning and mirror heaters yesterday. Couldn't find my scraper so I used a credit card, non magnet side of course.

ElliottB
10-28-2009, 11:53 AM
I've got some digging to do.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a349/Puma297/colorado/S5001321.jpg

corsair23
10-28-2009, 11:58 AM
I've got some digging to do.

Nah...It will all melt by Saturday :D

daisydog34
10-28-2009, 05:39 PM
So true. So, so true. Mine failed in the Loveland parking lot, snowing, dark, after a few barley pops in the Rathskeller... :doh: I LOVE having (a) stick shift and (2) snow cat operators willing to help push start an old Toyota driving freeheeler. See if you get that sorta help at Vail (sorry Farnham). :-P

Hey I was a snow cat operator in vail...would have pushed you...maybe :D

TIMZTOY
10-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Yea. Some suzuki's are placed there also. I think there's also a ford in the same place. No not ford. Izziue or how ever you spell it

Rzeppa
11-01-2009, 03:13 PM

R&Ring a 40 series (F/2F) starter is about 15 minutes. Add another couple minutes to fast-orange your hands. 22RE - not so much, total PITA. 1HZ, another PITA. The latter two are several hours depending on variables. Never tried a 1FZ or 2UZ, but would guess they are more like the latter than the former.

As "uncivilized" as F/2F powered 40 series are is so many ways, they are so easy and quick to work on that it almost makes up for it.

subzali
11-02-2009, 11:31 AM
On the 22R-E they I think figured that they'd done as much as they could on the starter, being that it's all the way down on the flywheel and there's only so much obscuration they could do without making it seem intentional on an inline 4 banger. So they worked their magic on the fuel filter instead, which is truly torture. Nothing costing $15 should be that damn hard to replace.

Agree on the fuel filter.

On a 2wd 22R-E the starter is a pain to access, I'm guessing it's harder than your 4wd. The easiest way (almost the only way) is from underneath and, well, there ain't much room under a 2wd...and even once you're under there you have a blind nut on top of the starter that you have to get a socket on and tighten. At least they have a stud to hold the starter in place while you free your other hand to try and thread the bolt on the bottom...