PDA

View Full Version : Kinetic Recovery Straps

subzali
10-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Just a thought as we head into the winter/endless snow season. Robbie had mentioned these kinetic recovery straps which basically stretch like a rubber band but are a lot easier on equipment when trying to yank someone out of deep snow. Does anybody in the club currently have or have used something like this?

http://www.winchline.com/towlines.htm

Uncle Ben
10-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Just a thought as we head into the winter/endless snow season. Robbie had mentioned these kinetic recovery straps which basically stretch like a rubber band but are a lot easier on equipment when trying to yank someone out of deep snow. Does anybody in the club currently have or have used something like this?

Ask Convert about them, he is a believer!

FJBRADY
10-27-2009, 09:10 AM

Don't have one of those, but there was a guy with one on the snow run last January and it worked great.....seams a bit pricey.

I carry both a tow strap and a ARB yank strap, with kinetic energy properties, to use in mud or snow stuck situations....just sayin! :hill:

Air Randy
10-27-2009, 09:58 AM
I have a recovery kit I bought in South Africa, I cant remember what brand it is, could be ARB. It has a regular non-stretchy strap in it as well as a kinetic strap, gloves and a shackle.

As I recall, it seems like the kinetic straps have a limited number of uses i.e they will stretch like the rope will but each time they recover slightly less than the last time until they are totally stretched out. Thats why this kit comes with both types, you only use the stretchy one when nothing else works. They still last a fairly long time unless you use them every week, but they are less expensive than the ropes.

nuclearlemon
10-27-2009, 10:56 AM
had one back in illinois and it was awesome. works great in stucks like mud/snow.

DaveInDenver
10-27-2009, 12:16 PM
I have a recovery kit I bought in South Africa, I cant remember what brand it is, could be ARB. It has a regular non-stretchy strap in it as well as a kinetic strap, gloves and a shackle.
Aren't the non-dynamic webbing in those kits usually tree straps or winch extension straps? Might be a tow strap maybe, but definitely if it does not stretch then it's not a recovery strap. It might just stretch less, though, so you have to know if a strap is made to be a tow or utility strap (0% stretch) or recovery.
As I recall, it seems like the kinetic straps have a limited number of uses i.e they will stretch like the rope will but each time they recover slightly less than the last time until they are totally stretched out. Thats why this kit comes with both types, you only use the stretchy one when nothing else works. They still last a fairly long time unless you use them every week, but they are less expensive than the ropes.
Dynamic rope like this breaks down over time due to fatigue of the fibers. Same issue with climbing ropes where you log falls and care and must eventually retire the rope. It's important to keep dynamic webbing and rope clean, dirt accelerates the wear, and away from abrasion. But if dynamic straps are anything like climbing ropes, they don't necessarily change performance before they break. IOW, they are just as stretchy after 5 falls as they were new, just that the 6th fall will break the rope. You say they eventually stretch out. Do these ropes have failsafe threads in the weave then? I'd assumed that they would specify the number of recoveries that the rope is rated for and when reached, you should retire the rope to towing or retask it for a swingset.

Hants
10-28-2009, 03:59 PM
I have one that is similar -- LOVE it. As a matter of fact, I just tugged a truck out of mud/snow about 20 minutes ago with it.

As a yankee, you feel a surge, then constant pull. As a yanker, you feel a bit of initial resistance, then either go or try-again with more gas. Very easy on the equipment. Mine is rated at something crazy like 30,000 lbs -- it's the 1" version.

powderpig
10-28-2009, 04:10 PM
You pick a company that uses USA made syn to make there products. What this rope was orginally design for is tying boats up at the docks. Where streching over long periods of time is a good thing. While these ropes will handle a bunch of real good tugs, they will not last for ever. May be best to contact Viking directly to see how long they will last or how many tugs they can handle.
I will be picking up one for the bag of tricks(tools) to have on hand for certain problems. While Straps like the ARB recovery straps are good and strech a bit, they do not build as much kenetic energy as the other straps.
Different tools for different jobs.