PDA

View Full Version : 4 Runner sun roof

FJ_Mark
10-27-2009, 05:55 PM
I am trying to help out a friend with his I think 96' runner. The sun roof retracts into the cabin and will go back forward. But it will not go up to close completely or tilt up. Is there more than one motor? Or is it likely the track itself binding or maybe failed completely. I plan to check it out tomorrow. And hope someone here has worked on them before.

Thanks.

SteveH
10-27-2009, 09:56 PM
The FSM would be a big help - typically, there is a sunroof controller (computer) and a variety of limit switches. On some Toyotas, the sunroof computer will reset after cycling the ignition. You might try disconnecting the battery overnight to see if that can jog the computer's brain. Old Cressidas suffered sunroof problems just like this - ours would stick open at inopportune times.

I think there's a factory manual somewhere online with diagnostic procedures, etc.

TIMZTOY
10-28-2009, 12:19 AM
I do belive there's a TSB for that. The grease they used gets very hard. The tsb is to remove an clean the Old grease and re lube with new grease. There is also stops that have to be reprogramed (windows I know for sure.) not sure about sun roofs. Hold the open button for a few seconds after the roof is compleetly open. And the same for when it's closed. It might not help for the roof but dose on some windows. You have to hold the button the entier time. Don't use the auto. Good luck. I'd check your slides. There problly gummed up. With bad grease

FJ_Mark
10-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Thanks Tim. The grease did it. Nice to have a closed sunroof with all the white stuff pouring down.

TIMZTOY
10-28-2009, 05:21 PM
No problem. I like to think I know what I'm doing from time to time. Lol:cheers: