PDA

View Full Version : 80 Series AT Pan...FIPG or Gasket?

corsair23
10-27-2009, 10:21 PM
Anyone ever drop theirs? Did you just use FIPG and reinstall?

A thread on MUD suggests using a Napa gasket with the FIPG to hold the gasket to the pan...I really don't plan to ever drop the pan again but you never know...If I strip the threads again on the bolt or pan, well I'll be doing it again :rolleyes:

You can get a filter and the gasket ($33.50) or just the gasket ($2.99) - I'm thinking of getting just the gasket...Should I go ahead and replace the filter as well since I'm there?

http://partimages.genpt.com/partimages/38853.jpg

Oh, and even with draining the pan, there is still a fair amount of fluid sitting in the pan that will get everywhere and make a mell of a hess if you are not careful...DAMHIK :hill:

TIMZTOY
10-27-2009, 11:13 PM
If your going to drop the pan. Take the extra 2 min to replace the filter. (if I understood your question Correctlly)

corsair23
10-28-2009, 12:20 AM
If your going to drop the pan. Take the extra 2 min to replace the filter. (if I understood your question Correctlly)

Pan is dropped...But there are differing opinions as far as I can tell on replacing the filter...Many suggest just cleaning it and calling it good. Not sure if replacing the filter with a Napa one is the smart thing to do :confused: - It didn't dawn on me to order one from Toyota but now that I have the pan dropped you know...while you're in there type of thing :rolleyes:

TIMZTOY
10-28-2009, 12:23 AM
Deffentlly. Since your in there. I don't like anything from napa. But. That's all personally. They do sell ok stuff i just think there way over priced. I'd just through up a napa unless Toyota has it in stock. Not like it's hard to do. Unless you have cross over exhaust or crossmember. In the way. And it should have a drain plug.

sleeoffroad
10-28-2009, 05:51 AM
It is a screen and I would rather clean it and use a Toyota OE one than replace with Napa. As for sealant, use what Toyota uses, never seen one leak. Right FIPG and you should be ok. Black or red, depending on what Toyota calls for. If Toyota did not put a gasket on there, then why do it now? We only use the Toyota FIPG and the shop and have no comebacks on it.

Uncle Ben
10-28-2009, 07:38 AM
I echo Christo, always use Toyota parts! We brag about 2-3-400,000 miles on our tucks then we gripe about OEM parts cost. There is a reason and you DEFINITELY get what you pay for!

thefatkid
10-28-2009, 09:50 AM
I would only use FIPG (red). The gasket deforms the transmission pan often leading to leaks down the road. Toyota pans were not designed for gaskets on the a340 transmission family. A pan that is designed for a gasket will be thicker, compare your pan to a Camry tranny pan and notice the thickness difference.

The transmission filter is a lifetime unit (unless the tranny is rebuilt). If it has become a restriction you have bigger issues then the filter. As for PM I would remove and backflush it, try to filter what comes out for inspection. The metal micro screen doesn't hold debris like a fiberous filter would.

To sum it up........

X3 Christo

Red_Chili
10-28-2009, 11:27 AM
I echo Christo, always use Toyota parts! We brag about 2-3-400,000 miles on our tucks then we gripe about OEM parts cost. There is a reason and you DEFINITELY get what you pay for!

The only exception being... if you can use the very same OEM part that Toyota relabels... and marks up double in some cases.

Part of what you pay for is supply chain inefficiency as far as I can tell. Or, perhaps they assume a largely captive market, dunno.

corsair23
10-28-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks guys :thumb:

I'll just clean/backflush my OEM filter, FIPG the pan, and call it good. I watched what drained out and what was left in the pan and it was all nice and pink. I haven't had a chance to check/look at the magnets in the pan yet.

Any tricks to the "backflush"?

Oh, and since I don't have a in-lb torque wrench is that critical? The filter bolts are only supposed to be torqued to 7ft-lbs so I'm guessing just snug and call it good?

farnhamstj
10-28-2009, 01:08 PM
get a torque wrench. even if it's cheep it's better than guessing.

thefatkid
10-28-2009, 01:18 PM
You don't want to mess up valve body torque. Torque the filter with care. The pan can be good an sung, I use 1/4" ratchet that is 2" long to torque them.

When will you be installing the filter? Today? close to groove?

corsair23
10-28-2009, 02:00 PM
You don't want to mess up valve body torque. Torque the filter with care. The pan can be good an sung, I use 1/4" ratchet that is 2" long to torque them.

When will you be installing the filter? Today? close to groove?

Sounds like I need to find me a torque wrench that goes below 20lbs :rolleyes:

As for the filter...I haven't taken it off and flushed it yet, but was planning to work on it either today or tomorrow. Not a huge hurry as I still have my front axle all apart and have lots of cleaning to do but my hope is to have the LX all back together and drivable again by Sunday :)

I'll be stopping by to see Joe later this afternoon to pick up some parts at Groove and then heading home. Sort of close to Groove...Highlands Ranch area

corsair23
10-29-2009, 12:55 AM
Well that's done :)

Now I can get back to putting the front axle back together :cool:

Dropped pan...Anyone need a '97 FZJ80 AT pan with stripped drain plug threads?

A closer look at what the magnets collected...

Bottom of the tranny sans the filter...

All back together with the new pan complete with part # sticker and no waxy undercoating...

nakman
10-29-2009, 08:26 AM
That thing is beautiful Jeff! Good for another 200,000 miles... :bowdown:

make sure you crank the piss out of the drain plug.. :bolt:

wesintl
10-29-2009, 09:00 AM
LOL Tim...

Dang that tranny looks kleen!

Jacket
10-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Dang that tranny looks kleen!

x2. Beautiful! Nice work Jeff.

corsair23
10-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks guys! Hoping for no leaks...I didn't notice until after I got it in place and the bolts in that the rear of the pan touched my Slee xfer case skid plate leaving quite a bit of FIPG on it :doh: - If it leaks I'll know where from and will get to do it all again.

With the front third and drive shaft out (especially) it was a ton easier and there was a lot more room to work...But dang, did Toyota really need to use 19 bolts? :hill: - The back 3 are a PITA to get to...

corsair23
10-29-2009, 01:29 PM
I didn't notice until after I got it in place and the bolts in that the rear of the pan touched my Slee xfer case skid plate leaving quite a bit of FIPG on it :doh: - If it leaks I'll know where from and will get to do it all again.

:rant: - The more I think about it the more I'm inclined to drop the pan again a redo it...It would be so much simpler, and cleaner, to do it now vs. after I refill only to find out it leaks :o...

OCD or the smart thing to do? - I can probably get it done in a hour now knowing what I'm doing...Most of that time would be spent on cleaning the new old FIPG off which is just a PITA IMO

corsair23
10-30-2009, 10:02 AM
OCD or the smart thing to do?

I'm sure you were all waiting for what I would do...I took the OCD route :rolleyes: - Pulled off the pan, cleaned off the FIPG and did it all over again :hill: - Glad I did because the FIPG that I saw on my skid plate apparently came from one of the back corners for the most part that was nearly bare of FIPG...