PDA

View Full Version : What is the best 33 inch plus snow and ice tire?

Snowrun
10-29-2009, 02:59 PM
There seems to be a lot of options for passenger cars aka Blizzak, Nokians etc..
What would you recommend for an off road vehicle in something larger than 33 inches?:)

Jacket
10-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Maxxis Bighorns come with stud holes built into the tire. That'll solve your ice needs.

MDH33
10-29-2009, 03:05 PM
These would be prefect for your 80:

http://www.stupidcollege.com/Images/40_Inch_Rims.jpg

Oh, wait, did you say rims or tires... ;)

Snowrun
10-29-2009, 03:19 PM
:grinpimp::grinpimp::grinpimp:Those would be sweet in gold!

DaveInDenver
10-29-2009, 03:19 PM
The General Grabber AT2 is also studdable. I've always had good luck with BFG AT, although they are not designed with stud holes.

Depends on the rim size you are running, too. I am still using 15" rims and my choices are very limited since tall and skinny is better than wide for snowy roads. If you are driving on fluff, then you want wide, but on the road the float is not so good.

Hand's down the best general purpose tire for road in the winter I've ever had was the 33x9.50 AT pizza cutter. Didn't need 4WD nearly as much as with these 33x10.50 MT.

chtucker
10-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Goodyear Duratracks are available in a LT315/75R16

We have had them on for a month on our work truck (245-75-17s) and have towed the sno cat already in the snow. They are doing great so far..

treerootCO
10-29-2009, 03:24 PM
...for an off road vehicle....

Off road? We don't drive our rigs off road ;). I would recommend the Toyo Open Country MT in LT285/75R16 for an off highway vehicle

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/235886-255-85r16-toyo-m-t-review.html

Snowrun
10-29-2009, 03:30 PM
I meant like off road in mall parking lots.:o Oh and of course off highway driving as well.

wesintl
10-29-2009, 03:33 PM
I've been pretty happy with my 285/75 nitto TG. They work well off road/ snow and ice and pretty low noise in the summer too. not too much $ and spank bfg's

Otherwise I guess i know how to drive cause any ole tire will work on a 5500 suv

treerootCO
10-29-2009, 03:35 PM
I've been pretty happy with my 285/75 nitto TG. They work well off road/ snow and ice and pretty low noise in the summer too. not too much $ and spank bfg's

Otherwise I guess i know how to drive cause any ole tire will work on a 5500 suv

The best part is the lightning bolts on the sidewall!

treerootCO
10-29-2009, 03:41 PM
295/75R16 Nittos

nakman
10-29-2009, 03:46 PM
I don't think the Toyos are that great in the snow, they're not as good as BFG A/T and they're not as good as SS Trxus.. Now off pavement is another story, as is dry pavement, and I have really loved having the Toyos in those situations. I knew there was a trade-off though going into it..

And I'm liking the Maxxis Bighorns on the other truck, they're a little loud on dry pavement but in snow and on rocks they have been quite impressive.

subzali
10-29-2009, 05:48 PM
My Goodyear MT/Rs have been great on my FJ40 in the snow/ice. Short wheel base with an auto rear locker you'd think my back end would kick out and spin around. Well the times I've gotten to kick out it comes right back when I let off the throttle. I don't know about the new kevlar tread pattern though.

UB highly recommends SS Trxus M/T for snow (off road especially) and I'm going to try that for my next set on the 40. I liked the BFG A/T on my 2wd pickup (except they were too big and they were heavy) and am considering trying them for my Tundra as well.

Bikeman
10-29-2009, 06:13 PM
I like Swamper Thornbirds.

wesintl
10-29-2009, 06:24 PM
The best part is the lightning bolts on the sidewall!

no where as cool as the skulls on the dick cepek mud crusher. :hill:

PabloCruise
10-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Sounds like the BFG A/T rates o-k for multi purpose use and snow/ice.

Is there much difference in snow/ice performance btwn 9.5 and 10.5 inch wide?

DaveInDenver
10-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Sounds like the BFG A/T rates o-k for multi purpose use and snow/ice.

Is there much difference in snow/ice performance btwn 9.5 and 10.5 inch wide?
If you can go with the 9.5" wide that would be a better snowy and icy road type tire. It won't float much on the pizza run and that sorta thing, tho. But also that's why the skinny tires work well on snow packed roads, they concentrate the weight of your truck onto a smaller patch.

I did well with those on my truck for the bulk of tasks and will probably go back to them next time if I can find 'em. I only went to the M/T for Rubithon and generally hate them. But my truck sees a lot more pavement than dirt.

Snowrun
10-29-2009, 06:41 PM
http://www.4x4offroads.com/at405-radial.html
The ultimate snow tire?

corsair23
10-29-2009, 06:48 PM
http://www.4x4offroads.com/at405-radial.html
The ultimate snow tire?

Reminds me of the Yokohama F340 snow tires I use to have on the Durango...They worked great and actually lasted 4+ seasons :)

Snowrun
10-29-2009, 06:54 PM
I hadn't looked at Yokohama. I like the look of that.
Did you see these?
http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar_GO72.aspx

farnhamstj
10-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Another plug for Nitto TG great in the snow and all around AT tire. Those yokohama's look like they'd stick pretty good.

corsair23
10-29-2009, 07:02 PM
I hadn't looked at Yokohama. I like the look of that.
Did you see these?
http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar_GO72.aspx

Nice looking tire...Honestly, ever since I dumped the Durango I haven't felt the need to have winter tires...The Toyos are not the best in snow (as Nakman mentions) but the 80 just isn't the "sled" that the Durango was. I ran the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos in the summer and they weren't really that bad in the winter either...

Convert
10-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Swamper Truxs are great on the 80 but they are soft and will wear quickly on a dd. I just put some yokohama at/s on the company truck and had them siped drive in today was very nice

Corbet
10-29-2009, 09:49 PM
My Nitto TG were good all last winter. But next time (after lift and going to 35s) I'm thinking the Goodyear Duratrac's or Nokian Vatiiva's as winter tires. Duratrac should prove better off highway but I'm guessing the Vatiiva will out perform on highway regardless of road condition. Well maybe not big snow drifts.

RockRunner
10-29-2009, 10:17 PM
My vote is for the Nitto TG, we just got them on the FJC and my wife loves them. She has driven to work during this entire snow storm with no problems what so ever. I am still deciding if I am going to ge those on my Dodge 2500 or the Hankook A/t's. They are similar to the Toyo's A/T.

My biggest issue is the E rating and the Nitto's come in an E, not sure of the Hankooks'. I never liked the BFG A/T's, they were OK in the snow. On the rocks they did OK but got choped pretty easy. JMO

MountainGoat
10-30-2009, 06:30 AM
I don't think the Toyos are that great in the snow, they're not as good as BFG A/T and they're not as good as SS Trxus.

I noticed something interesting in the deep snow on top of Wise Mountain on the 40s Only Run: The BFG A/Ts worked far better than most half worn mud tires. Ask Marco or Terry Tubb. The BFG A/Ts on my wife's 4Runner are excellent in the snow and ice (235/85 16 pizza cutters).

That said, the TrXus on my 80 are STILL hands down the best snow and ice tire I've ever driven on. And that includes Nokian Vatiiva's and Michelin Arctic Alpins, neither of which work at all on trails. I am overdue for a new set (35K on these) and they still grab as well as the near new A/Ts. It's like the promo says on the Interco site:

This tire has more siping than any other mud terrain on the market; which has proven to be almost magical in icy snowy conditions. These same traction features make this tire a serious rock climber. (http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=11&g=1)
That's all I have to say about that. :hill:

Uncle Ben
10-30-2009, 07:38 AM
No secret I loath my KM2's. However, they pull great in the snow. I broke out my grooving iron the day before we started getting snow. I stayed mild but used a 1/8" knife and doubled the side lug syping and cut the factory sypes deeper. WOW! Ice traction and lateral traction increased! I had to work at getting them to spin when others struggled to climb a couple nearby roads. The narrow grooves wont help much in snow but allowing the tread to flex more will. Hard to tell but I swear they are quieter too! Headed out in an hour in quest of the great Wapiti so I'll let you know how they did.

Red_Chili
10-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Good hunting o mighty one! You are lucky, you have snow. 2nd rifle was a bust; when we did have snow they just laid down somewhere. No tracks at all. Still a successful trip!

My Goodyear MT/Rs have been great on my FJ40 in the snow/ice. Short wheel base with an auto rear locker you'd think my back end would kick out and spin around. Well the times I've gotten to kick out it comes right back when I let off the throttle. I don't know about the new kevlar tread pattern though.

+1 on both counts. Very happy. Better when new than when half gone.

FJBRADY
10-30-2009, 10:13 AM
X3 on the MTR's. I have these siped on the FJC and they have never let me down on the road or the trail.

It is a toss up between Truxs and the Kevlar MTR's next time around....moving to 35's

corsair23
10-30-2009, 10:21 AM
After driving the 40 around with siped MTRs for nearly 3 weeks, including this latest snow, I've been pretty impressed with them. Mine are siped though like Steve's. That said, I've noticed my siped MTRs have had a lot more issues with "chucking" due to the siping off road than my Toyos have. And the MTRs have only seen a couple off road trips (Kingston Peak and Slaughter House) compared to the Toyos on the LX which have seen 10x as much trail time. I'm not sure I'd sipe another set of MTRs

nakman
10-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Steve I would lean towards the Kevlar MT/R's mainly because of how fast those Trixies will wear- you could likely get 3-4 years on the MT/R's. Another check mark in the plus column for the Toyos- I've got 30,000 miles on mine, and still lots of tread left, a good year away from needing to worry about what's next.

Though it is fun to worry... in fact I rather enjoy talking about tires. :)

FJBRADY
10-30-2009, 10:25 AM
After driving the 40 around with siped MTRs for nearly 3 weeks, including this latest snow, I've been pretty impressed with them. Mine are siped though like Steve's. That said, I've noticed my siped MTRs have had a lot more issues with "chucking" due to the siping off road than my Toyos have. And the MTRs have only seen a couple off road trips (Kingston Peak and Slaughter House) compared to the Toyos on the LX which have seen 10x as much trail time. I'm not sure I'd sipe another set of MTRs

I would agree with the chunking. If you want a MT to perform better on ice I recommend to sipe them.

Red_Chili
10-30-2009, 10:27 AM
After driving the 40 around with siped MTRs for nearly 3 weeks, ... I've noticed my siped MTRs have had a lot more issues with "chucking" due to the siping off road than my Toyos have.
I have always run my MT/Rs unsiped. BFG MTs? Oh my, I would not run them at all without siping.

FJBRADY
10-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Steve I would lean towards the Kevlar MT/R's mainly because of how fast those Trixies will wear- you could likely get 3-4 years on the MT/R's. Another check mark in the plus column for the Toyos- I've got 30,000 miles on mine, and still lots of tread left, a good year away from needing to worry about what's next.

Though it is fun to worry... in fact I rather enjoy talking about tires. :)

Thanks for the input on the tire..........I dig tires also. I find my self identifying tire tracks in the snow and mud. Friends are mine are shocked that I pay 1K plus for a set....they bitch and moan every time they have to replace a set and the tires are more than $100 per. Also, they expect all seasons to do well on ice and corner like summer tires when dry.