PDA

View Full Version : Putting Birfields Back Together...

corsair23
11-01-2009, 08:29 PM
I knew I should have paid more attention during disassembly but I have the FSM and it looked straight forward :rolleyes: - But the FSM talks about narrow and wide, flat and protruding, wide openings :blah: :blah: :blah:...

So I did a quick search and found this thread...Not that I doubt the expertise on MUD but can those that have taken apart their birfs and put them back together comment that this is correct?

Separating/Reassembling birfields (http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/279304-separating-reassembling-birfield-inner-axle-assemblies.html)

Reason I'm doing this is I'm swapping birfs side to side (no, no clicking but figured at 120K it was a good time to do it) and wanted to get a good look at the wear on the parts...No pics yet but I'll post some later

TIA

TIMZTOY
11-01-2009, 09:05 PM
That apears to be correct to me

corsair23
11-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Thanks Tim :thumb:

Hey Romer, keeper of the MUD FAQs....I looked through the 80s FAQs and didn't see anything on birf "rebuilding"...The above link would be a good addition in the FAQs below the front axle service FAQ - The front axle service FAQ mentions swapping the birfs side to side etc. but doensn't have any specifics about how to go about it...And the FSM explanation leaves something to be desired IMO. It talks about narrow and wide and protruding but that didn't help me at all...Maybe I'm just a dufus but still :hill:

chtucker
11-01-2009, 10:07 PM
I can stop by and show you tomorrow?

I am out in Aurora, but could use a little side trip..

970 four zero six 1374

corsair23
11-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the offer :thumb:

But, they're both back together with the inner axles installed ready to slide back in. Right or wrong, I'll find out :hill:

corsair23
11-02-2009, 12:30 AM
A thread is worthless without pics so here are some random shots...

A little bit of wear on the birf and inner cage but not bad IMO (for what it is worth :hill:). Pictures actually make the wear look worse. You can see the wear pattern but not really feel anything. Now that they are swapped side to side hopefully they'll go another 120K miles :)

Inner cage

DS birfield that is now the PS birfield

My workstation - I guess the fun of doing this work yourself is getting to buy new tools (vise in pic along with a microtorque wrench so far)

PS birfield packed and ready for install - note: having the laptop that close to your work is not always a good idea...moly grease on the laptop case sort of smells bad :doh:

Rzeppa
11-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Both the FSM and Haynes are pretty good about helping to figure out how the cage and inner race go back in. I did two this past year, and wrote Robbie about it. It appeared recently in Toyota Trails in his Tech section. He had some interesting insights about how to put birfs back together.