PDA

View Full Version : steering stop adjustment on a Taco?

nakman
11-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Is there an adjustment bolt for steering stops? So I switched back to stock rims and now my tires rub the frame at full lock. I guess the added backspacing of the 80 rims and/or the 1" widerness of the 80 rims was enough to make this not happen, but it's definitely happening now.

All I can find on yodertech is threads like this one http://www.yotatech.com/f31/stock-wheels-yea-nah-136662/ or this one http://www.yotatech.com/f2/rubbing-but-where-52497/ where frame rubbing is acknowledged but not corrected- seems the consensus is just live with it? :confused: Or switch to less backspacing on the rims, or add spacers, or more body lift... none of which I really want to do. I laid under it today but I don't see any adjusting bolt like you find on a solid axle- is there one?

TIMZTOY
11-01-2009, 09:03 PM
There shouldn't be any adjustments because it all inside the rack-n-pinion. Your only logical option would be to buy a set of spacers. A body lift won't help unless your rubbing the tub not the frame. And body lifts are gay IMO. The main thing I love about toyotas are how the frame is sucked up into the body and you can't see it from the side. Un like chevys that just hang there like 8" below the body. Eeewwwwww

DaveInDenver
11-01-2009, 09:05 PM
There are steering stops on my knuckles, never thought about it but I would have assumed the same on Tacos. Who knew?

TIMZTOY
11-01-2009, 09:05 PM
There shouldn't be any adjustments because it all inside the rack-n-pinion.

I meen any thing can be fab'd right ;):thumb:

Bikeman
11-02-2009, 07:57 AM
There are steering stops on the knuckles. Most people have tire rub with stock wheels with bigger tires and/or lifts on the newer platforms. My buddy Jason on his 4th gen runner has tire rub on the TC a-arms and uses Spidertrax wheel spacers, 1", that are hub-centric. Lots of people run 'em.

nakman
11-02-2009, 08:12 AM
Agreed on the body lift Tim, and as you said wouldn't help anyway... I have always steered away from wheel spacers thinking it would put more load on the wheel bearings, but then again I'm not sure how it's any different from a different offset rim.. ok maybe I'll consider that.

Mike do you know a web site for the 1"? I see a lot of 1.25".. thanks.

Red_Chili
11-02-2009, 08:36 AM
And body lifts are gay IMO.
Ahem. I beg to differ.

One of the very best things you can do for a minitruck is install a 1" BL - all kinds of payoffs, from less hammer mod needed, to more accessibility and component clearance.

A 2" BL will allow lifting the gas tank on a 4Runner (84-89).

A 3" BL is borderline dangerous (in an impact).

If a BL will do the job, suspension remains within factory design, especially in the front. A bracket lift is better?

All depends on your needs.

DaveInDenver
11-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Ahem. I beg to differ.
I think the bulk of people who (maybe all?) who have R&R a tranny on a mini truck would agree 1" taller body mounts should have been there from the factory. My truck still has the original body pucks as installed from Toyota and fitting a socket in on those top two bolts on the bellhousing is truly beyond unpleasant. I would agree that 1" body lift has a lot of benefit for relatively minimal downsides. Some day I will put them in my truck. Oh and replacing the torsion bars is an exercise in threading skills.

Bikeman
11-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Agreed on the body lift Tim, and as you said wouldn't help anyway... I have always steered away from wheel spacers thinking it would put more load on the wheel bearings, but then again I'm not sure how it's any different from a different offset rim.. ok maybe I'll consider that.

Mike do you know a web site for the 1"? I see a lot of 1.25".. thanks.

Maybe it's the 1.25" that's only available. Spidertrax are the only ones to go with, US made. With a 7" rim and tall & skinnies, the wheel bearings are a non-issue.

Wheel spacers are the norm for hardcore use and are accepted today as are small body lifts.

Jacket
11-02-2009, 11:03 AM
That's the reason I have the aftermarket rims with my 285's - with stock rims I'd rub the upper A-arm among other things. But with the 255/85's on stock steel wheels, I haven't had an issue with rubbing up front.

The spidertrax spacers do seem to do the job, although you might check All Pro or Wheelers and see if they offer something less wide and/or less expensive. I guess it depends how much room you need to create.

Red_Chili
11-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Performance Wheel & Tire also makes them. US made. Santa Fe & Oxford.

TIMZTOY
11-02-2009, 06:06 PM
:lmao::lmao::lmao: trail gear sells them:lmao::lmao::lmao:
I couldn't resist

Squishy!
11-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Nak I second the Spider Trax spacers. I "had" :banghead: them on the runner and loved them.

nakman
11-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Ok so here's a silly question, but what I've been wrestling with for the past week: 80 series rims are 8" wide and have a 4.5" backspacing. . Stock Tacoma rims are 7" wide and have a 4.5" backspacing. right? So with the same tires (255 85), they don't rub the frame with the 80 rims, but do rub the frame with the stock rims.

Is the tire really that much taller now with a 1" narrower rim? Apparently so, that's why I'm rubbing right? If so then how much further out, or how much less backspacing do I need, to make the tires not rub with the stock rims?

Squishy!
11-04-2009, 03:50 PM
If you want you can test fit with my wheel spacers and see if you like 'em. They're just sitting on the shop floor right now.

nakman
11-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Yeah sure, I'll try them, thanks. I'm still a little baffled that a thinner rim makes this much of a difference... I'm tempted to just stack washers up until it doesn't rub anymore. :hill:

Cheeseman
11-04-2009, 04:17 PM
I've been running front spacers for a long time now. Not any problems and it gives it a good stance. Course that is on an '85 Runner. Don't know how much different it would be on the Taco.
________
The cigar boss (http://thecigarboss.com/)

nakman
11-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Well after some additional deliberation I think I'm going to go with a set of these 1/4" spacers http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-2376/

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/mrg-2376_w.jpg

before anyone freaks out about lug nut engagement I have the "extended length" lug studs, so no worries there... but I'm thinking this should be enough to curtail the rubbing. Time will tell!

Squishy!
11-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Good luck getting your front end not to shimmy. The wheels won't center with that kind of spacer. Come by my shop and I'll let you run my SpiderTrax for a while.

nakman
11-05-2009, 09:02 PM
well we'll find out. I had to go to 4WP tonight for something else and they had them for $5.99 each, so I picked up a pair was 13 something with tax. Pretty cheap experiment, I'm going to try this on Saturday.

TIMZTOY
11-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Ok so here's a silly question, but what I've been wrestling with for the past week: 80 series rims are 8" wide and have a 4.5" backspacing. . Stock Tacoma rims are 7" wide and have a 4.5" backspacing. right? So with the same tires (255 85), they don't rub the frame with the 80 rims, but do rub the frame with the stock rims.

Is the tire really that much taller now with a 1" narrower rim? Apparently so, that's why I'm rubbing right? If so then how much further out, or how much less backspacing do I need, to make the tires not rub with the stock rims?

You have more tire bulge on the sidewall with a thinner rim. Problly only 1/4 " taller. But a good 1/4"-1/2" wider out from the bulge

Jacket
11-06-2009, 11:57 AM
And the stock Tacoma wheels should have more backspacing - something like 5 - 5.25" IIRC. It pulls the wheel and tire a bit closer to the suspension/wheel hub.

nakman
11-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Stock Tacoma wheel backspacing today measured just under 4 3/4". So that's about 1/4" closer to the frame than an 80 rim, at least what the word on the street says 80 backspacing is... I'll try to measure my spare on the 80 later tonight once everyone else is in bed to verify.

nakman
11-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Yesterday I lowered my front end about 1", and made this problem a little worse. :rolleyes:

So today I went ahead and installed the death rings, and it's quite a bit better, however I can still make it hit when I'm cranked to the PS and the PS tire is up on a curb. It's better than it was last week though without the spacers and before the lowering...

nakman
11-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Took it out for a spin tonight and no wobbles, got it up to 75... so calling that good. Next step is raise the front end another inch or so and I should be golden. :hill: