PDA

View Full Version : Battery trays.

jettaglxdriver
11-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Why is the Man-A-Fre $125 and this stainless one is much cheaper?

http://stainlesstrays.com/

Air Randy
11-02-2009, 04:26 PM
The stainless.trays guy builds these and sells them out of his garage so very little overhead. MAF usually buys quantities to keep in stock and nowadays you have to have a 65% markup to make it worth while selling 3rd part products.

MDH33
11-02-2009, 04:30 PM
The stainless trays are very nice. :thumb:

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/591384776_bwLcE-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/591384986_2FBUz-M.jpg

wesintl
11-02-2009, 04:44 PM
too bad they don't have 70 series trays and too bad they are mostly built for optimas. I'm never buying one again.

rover67
11-02-2009, 04:59 PM
I don't know why his are so cheap comparitively speaking. He probably has them underpriced. I have two in the 60 as well, each with a group 31 Optima in it. I just got the one for the 40 in the mail today. Hope it fits the group 27 Deka I have sitting at home.

I think he just realized lots of folks liked the optimas and built his aftermarket trays around that. He's struggling since it sounds like he dosen't get much buisiness so get your tray now if you want it... He was not selling trays for a long time and recently came back online. Wes, If his market for 60 and 40 series trays is small, i'd guess the market for a 70 series tray is even smaller. Like Randy said, it's a one man show, and as it stands he's struggling. I see his buisiness as more of a service actually.

It is a nice product though. Maybe he should specify the sizes of them so folks that buy them expecting to fit other batteries are not surprised. Again, I am hoping the 40 series tray that was built for a group 27 Optima fits the Deka I have at home.. I never thought to ask.

MDH33
11-02-2009, 05:05 PM
The only thing Optima-specific is the hold down, which wouldn't be hard to change.

rover67
11-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Welp, looks like the optima tray for the 40's that fits the group 27 batteries fits the Deka AGM group 27. Wes, you had me worried.

TIMZTOY
11-02-2009, 06:57 PM
too bad they don't have 70 series trays and too bad they are mostly built for optimas. I'm never buying one again.

Tru that optimas suck! When I worked for auozone we were always having ppl return or swap them under warrenty because they wouldn't even last 6 months. My friend had one mounted upside down in the fender of his 240sx and he had me warrenty swap it twice in one year. From my experance the duralast gold batteries are by far the strongest and most reliable. And were tested #1 by a Independent company who tested all brands top battery. And posted all the results. Not just saying this is best but why it's best. I work at pepboys now and I get 20% off and i still won't buy any other battery other than duralast gold

wesintl
11-02-2009, 07:17 PM
they were good when optima owned them and they were made in A-town. Otherwise IMHO they have gone down hill.

rover67
11-02-2009, 08:04 PM
sorry Wes, I thought you said you wouldn't buy another stainless tray again, my bad. I read it wrong.

Yeah, I think the optimas have gone down hill lately. That's why I switched to the Deka in the 40, thanks for the heads up on Hensley Battery, they were super cool.

wesintl
11-02-2009, 08:22 PM
no, the stainless trays look nice. I had emailed the guy to see if he would make me a set for the 70.

I think beater and I could make a set to work.

On the optimas, the guys tested mine at hensley looked at the date on it and said it was average life so i guess i can't complain that much.

Corbet
11-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Why is the Man-A-Fre $125 and this stainless one is much cheaper?]

Because Man-a-fre is always the most expensive:rolleyes:

I've had a pair of the stainless trays in my 60 for years. Very nice product. Anyone who orders one/set should be very pleased. :thumb:

I wish he'd make one for the passenger side of an 80.