PDA

View Full Version : Interesting thread for 80 series owners...

corsair23
11-03-2009, 12:39 PM
This guy is working with another MUD member to develop an aftermarket exhaust system for the 80 series...

His rig is a supercharged 80 and he did a pre-exhaust dyno run...

Exhaust has been installed and he did a post exhaust dyno run (+10-15hp and 15-20ft-lb across the RPM range)...

Next up...a dyno test WITH Landtank's MAF installed - that may very well generate some interesting discussion :D

But, that seems like a nice decent bump in perfomance simply by upgrading the exhaust :thumb: - I assume the bump in performance would be similar even without the supercharger but dunno...

CycloSteve's Dyno Runs (http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/311629-dyno-results.html)

wesintl
11-03-2009, 12:45 PM
5 more with a k&n.. lol

Bikeman
11-03-2009, 01:31 PM
I would think the gains would be less with a N/A engine. 'Chargers and turbos seem to be more receptive to intake and exhaust mods.

Besides, having a tail pipe exit in the stock location is waiting to get mashed and may not be compatible with the aftermarket bumper choices out there.

Nice to see another product out for the 80's, though.

corsair23
11-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Besides, having a tail pipe exit in the stock location is waiting to get mashed and may not be compatible with the aftermarket bumper choices out there.

You mean my stock tail pipe isn't supposed to be squished flat into a rectangular shaped opening :confused: :hill:

Corbet
11-03-2009, 09:11 PM
I've been following that thread from the beginning. Actually tried to become one of his test trucks. The system looks pretty well thought out. The only short fall IMO is the single cat. A smog inspection by the book may result in failure as the OEM set up has two cats. Nothing I need to worry about but something to think about for many. The flex joints in the y pipe are a nice addition. Right now I believe he is addressing different tail pipe options to work with different bumpers as well as some additional O2 sensor options (wide band).

wesintl
11-03-2009, 09:18 PM
I wish he just sold an exact replica of the oem exhaust with a nice turn down at the tail pipe end. That way it would never get smashed and you could run whatever bumper you want.

Right now i'm leaning toward buying the Y pipe. Put in my own 2n'd cat and run a new oem muffler and resonator with a turn down at the end.

Corbet
11-03-2009, 09:38 PM
The OEM muffler hangs down too far for us non-lifted guys. Why not just have the tailpipe reworked Wes? Or wait to see what options he offers.

wesintl
11-03-2009, 09:46 PM
I'll probably wait to get the full life out my failing exhaust :D. cat's still work nice though.

I ran non lifted for a while. I never had any problems with the muffler. I'll wait and see for a bit but all my joints are failing. last I read there was some whistling in the y pipes?

nakman
11-03-2009, 09:49 PM
I'd have a lot easier time reading that thing if I had an acronym decoder ring.. can anyone break this down for me? FPR? RRFPR? AFR? APR?

At least I know what WOT means, not that I've ever done that.. :)

edit: and here's a Kaymar benefit I didn't expect... but the slightly worse departure angle means my stock resonator and tail pipe remain in tact with only a few scratches, after 5-6 years of wheeling? :)

wesintl
11-03-2009, 09:53 PM
I just look at the pictures :p:

Corbet
11-03-2009, 10:40 PM
AFR air fuel ratio
FPR fuel pressure regulator?

Guess I'm in the same boat, needing decoder ring:confused:

AxleIke
11-03-2009, 11:30 PM
IIRC (ha! I can play the acronym game to :D) UB has a custom exhaust on his 80. I'm sure he'll chime in when he gets back.

Shark Bait
11-03-2009, 11:38 PM
My Y pipe just failed. I think I'm going to try one of these (http://forum.ih8mud.com/**-ih8mud-com-vendor-marketplace-**/323450-fzj80-exhaust-upgrade.html). At least the Y pipe and hi-flow cat. This is an economic decision as an OEM replacement is $1700 retail.

corsair23
11-04-2009, 01:31 AM
My Y pipe just failed. I think I'm going to try one of these (http://forum.ih8mud.com/**-ih8mud-com-vendor-marketplace-**/323450-fzj80-exhaust-upgrade.html). At least the Y pipe and hi-flow cat. This is an economic decision as an OEM replacement is $1700 retail.

That is the same MUD vendor that CycloSteve is doing testing for....

powderpig
11-04-2009, 08:41 AM
Funny how he is working on this in California and the exhaust does not have two cats. It would not pass any visual inspection in California. And to weld the cat to the Y pipe is a mistake as well, it would be real nice to have it with a flange mount to remove easily.
What is up with the 2.5(same as stock) in as well. I would think going a bit bigger would also benifit EGT as well as flow out so more flow could get in.
Also nice to see some one going out on a limb and devoloping something for the 80 cruiser.

Shark Bait
11-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Noticed SOR has this Y pipe, too. Not a "performance" option. Does anyone have any experience with this?

wesintl
11-04-2009, 10:41 AM
there is also the bosal which i think you can get through napa. I thought they were around $430 from napa

http://www.bosalna.com/index.php?mod=catalog

anyone with exp?
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=BOS&PartNumber=099128&Description=Catalytic+Converter+-+Direct+Fit+%28Bosal%29
http://partimages.genpt.com/partimages/616444.jpg

Shark Bait
11-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Ended up getting the Y pipe welded today. It's much quieter now, according to my wife. Guess I'll have to wait for 'performance'. :D

Corbet
11-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Funny how he is working on this in California and the exhaust does not have two cats. It would not pass any visual inspection in California. And to weld the cat to the Y pipe is a mistake as well, it would be real nice to have it with a flange mount to remove easily.
What is up with the 2.5(same as stock) in as well. I would think going a bit bigger would also benifit EGT as well as flow out so more flow could get in.

The single cat was discuss in the development thread over on MUD. He claims that he can't get up and over the frame rail with 2 cats.

I agree with the flange ahead of the cat. More options then for the home builder.

The 3" vs. 2.5" was also discussed in development thread. He is claiming that his mandrel bent 2.5 will flow as good as 3" using a lesser bending device. My thought is that 2.5" is probably better suited for NA engines which make up a much larger user group. More people to sell to.

When my system finally fails I'll probably got with this option. But I wish it had two cats. Not that anyone really cares down here in Durango but someday they might.