PDA

View Full Version : Eastwood / spot welder

SteveH
11-06-2009, 08:40 AM
I'm going to install full new rear quarters on my 1980 FJ40 (from PACOL, FWIW - see photo).

They are 18ga., and I worry about welding to this metal (from the inside fender flange) with my wire-feed welder. I have practiced a great deal with the welder, but this is pretty thin metal.

Has anyone tried the $69 Eastwood spot welder gun that comes with consumable electrodes? It's $50 on eBay and looks like a way to do spot welds without spending $200 on a cheapie Harbor Freight spot welder, whose 'arms' aren't long enough to reach many of the recessed areas anyway. Thoughts? What other welding technique do the great minds of Rising Sun recommend?

Thanks - Steve

MDH33
11-06-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm going to install full new rear quarters on my 1980 FJ40 (from PACOL, FWIW - see photo).

They are 18ga., and I worry about welding to this metal (from the inside fender flange) with my wire-feed welder. I have practiced a great deal with the welder, but this is pretty thin metal.

Has anyone tried the $69 Eastwood spot welder gun that comes with consumable electrodes? It's $50 on eBay and looks like a way to do spot welds without spending $200 on a cheapie Harbor Freight spot welder, whose 'arms' aren't long enough to reach many of the recessed areas anyway. Thoughts? What other welding technique do the great minds of Rising Sun recommend?

Thanks - Steve

Steve, can you give me more info about the parts? I'm not familiar with PACOL. Those look really nice.

For the welding, I know some have drilled out the locations for the spot welds then used a wire feed welder to "fill" the spot and make the attachement.

EWheeler
11-06-2009, 10:23 AM
http://pacolonline.com/

They have a ton of replacement panels for 40's.

rover67
11-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Those do look really nice...

I am about to do the same to my truck. have never used the eastwood spot welder..

SteveH
11-06-2009, 11:08 AM
PACOL's stuff comes in, in batches, from Columbia and PACOL is based in Georgia (the state). I waited a month or so and put down a small deposit on the fenders. It's best to call Alexandra and discuss directly with her at PACOL. They have an eBay store and their own website. The customer service has been excellent. I'm sure I'll know a lot more about the product after I fit the fenders.

My reason for spot welding is that I didn't want to drill or burn holes through the fender face, if at all possible.

MDH33
11-06-2009, 11:12 AM
PACOL's stuff comes in, in batches, from Columbia and PACOL is based in Georgia (the state). I waited a month or so and put down a small deposit on the fenders. It's best to call Alexandra and discuss directly with her at PACOL. They have an eBay store and their own website. The customer service has been excellent. I'm sure I'll know a lot more about the product after I fit the fenders.

My reason for spot welding is that I didn't want to drill or burn holes through the fender face, if at all possible.

Steve, have you looked into renting a spot welder that has a long enough reach? No idea what that might cost.

Another question about your new fenders: do they have the hard top captive nuts in the rails?

rover67
11-06-2009, 11:22 AM
How much do the nice ones cost to buy?

SteveH
11-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Renting a spot welder may be a great idea - esp. if you can get one with big jaws.

No captive nuts, but they have inserted a thick piece of square tubing inside the cavity suitable for drilling and tapping. Obviously, pre-fitted nuts would be nice. I will have to test-fit a hardtop section and drill and tap them for the roof, seat mounts, etc.

With shipping, about 480/pr. They include the critical back filler pieces for my 1980 truck that are $123 each from CCoT. So, while the fenders weren't cheap, they included a critical bent/formed piece I needed for something like only $15 more than the base fender. These are '79-83 fenders -the website lists specific fenders for earlier years.

Given that they include the top rail, I will have to do laborious fitting with the amb. doors and such to be sure that everything is just so before the real welding takes place.

MDH33
11-06-2009, 03:24 PM
A couple of used ones that might be long enough:

http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/1429972473.html

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/for/1426732460.html

If you pick one up, I might like to borrow it this winter. :hill:

PabloCruise
11-06-2009, 04:40 PM
My understanding is that Lincoln has a nice 110 volt welder that is pretty reasonably priced now...

rover67
11-06-2009, 05:17 PM
that 325 dollar one looks pretty sweet.

Beater
11-07-2009, 09:32 AM
buy a punch from eastwood or the like, and use a 110 or tig. Call to discuss if you want

303 nine 0 six 8693