View Full Version : Curious questions!

11-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Did Offroad Solutions & Downey Offroad go out of business?
I noticed Marlin Crawler sell transmissions, but they seem awful pricey? Anyone bought one of these from Marlin? W56

11-07-2009, 12:46 PM
downey is gone.

11-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Offroad Solutions has been gone since last fall or this spring I believe.
If you looked at the rebuild kits for the different W56, you will see a price from about 450-650 just for the good Japanese parts(bearings, seals, snycro's, etc). I am sure there are cheaper kits for the rebuild. but you get what you pay for.
Several of us did recommend that you have the rebuilt done with japanese parts.

11-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Several of us have Marlin transfer cases. Dean Baranski has a Marlin L52HD in his 1980 pickup. Marlin isn't the cheapest option but he's a major asset to the mini truck world and has forgotten more about Toyota trannys and xfer cases than probably everyone else in the world ever knew.

11-07-2009, 09:29 PM
When I did the R151 rebuild for the 4x4Wire article, I used a rebuild kit that cost $220. Seemed reasonable, and used Koyo and Nachi bearings.

Then I saw Marlin's rebuild kit prices and about dropped my jaw. So I called around: the prices have definitely gone up. I think you could shop around and find a better price on the kit though.

If you have Marlin rebuild your W56 be sure to ask him to replace all bearings, needed or not.