PDA

View Full Version : Curious questions!

Evrgrnmtnman
11-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Did Offroad Solutions & Downey Offroad go out of business?
I noticed Marlin Crawler sell transmissions, but they seem awful pricey? Anyone bought one of these from Marlin? W56

nuclearlemon
11-07-2009, 11:46 AM
downey is gone.

powderpig
11-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Offroad Solutions has been gone since last fall or this spring I believe.
If you looked at the rebuild kits for the different W56, you will see a price from about 450-650 just for the good Japanese parts(bearings, seals, snycro's, etc). I am sure there are cheaper kits for the rebuild. but you get what you pay for.
Several of us did recommend that you have the rebuilt done with japanese parts.

DaveInDenver
11-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Several of us have Marlin transfer cases. Dean Baranski has a Marlin L52HD in his 1980 pickup. Marlin isn't the cheapest option but he's a major asset to the mini truck world and has forgotten more about Toyota trannys and xfer cases than probably everyone else in the world ever knew.

Red_Chili
11-07-2009, 08:29 PM
When I did the R151 rebuild for the 4x4Wire article, I used a rebuild kit that cost $220. Seemed reasonable, and used Koyo and Nachi bearings.

Then I saw Marlin's rebuild kit prices and about dropped my jaw. So I called around: the prices have definitely gone up. I think you could shop around and find a better price on the kit though.

If you have Marlin rebuild your W56 be sure to ask him to replace all bearings, needed or not.